Big commit! Boom!

Garbage post.
I don't get it, Enki.

I thought it was a good message from VFL83, saying hey we're recruiting in all three regions of the state again. Specifically, getting back into the Memphis area which is all too often more an Ole Miss shade than Vols orange.

What did I miss?

Reactions: Enki_Amenra
Patience, y'all.

Yes, 3 stars... but voted GA AAA DPOY and voted All State by two entities--in his sophomore season?
I feel safe saying make room for at least one more star next to his name before he alights on Rocky Top.

Of course, maybe the 3 stars is because he's not yet that good at other LB skills (we saw mostly penetration plays from the highlight). But then again, maybe we intend to use him as an edge or situation rusher. Time will tell told.

I'm pleased, but will put my BOOM in an escrow account for now.

GBO and recruit like heck!

My son plays in the 4A classification here in Ga. Its alright, but it really starts to pick up in 5A and even more so with 6 and 7A. There is really a small difference between 2A-4A schools in Ga. Not saying good athletes can't be found in lower classifications, but there is a difference in a 3A DPOY and a 7A DPOY here.

Below is the average rating of football teams in each GHSA classification using the computer Maxwell Ratings. The first list is the average of all teams in each class. The second is the rating of the top 15 in each class. The difference in rating number represents points in a football game. For example, the average Class 7A team (70.1) is about 12 points better than the average 6A team (58.1), according to Maxwell.

All teams
70.1 - 7A
58.1 - 6A
50.9 - 5A
45.3 - 4A
45.3 - 3A
42.3 - 2A
44.2 - A Private
32.7 - A Public
73.1 - Big Nine

Top 15 teams

87.8 - 7A top 15
82.8 - 6A top 15
81.2 - 5A top 15
72.2 - 4A top 15
74.3 - 3A top 15
68.7 - 2A top 15
68.7 - A Private
60.1 - A Public
73.1 - Big Nine

It hinges a bit when you avg out the top teams in a classification. Kind of like Bama and Ga carry the SEC, but they dwarf the rest of us individually.

Reactions: BruisedOrange
I don't get it, Enki.

I thought it was a good message from VFL83, saying hey we're recruiting in all three regions of the state again. Specifically, getting back into the Memphis area which is all too often more an Ole Miss shade than Vols orange.

What did I miss?
Really? You're being sarcastic I hope. . . not sure if you are, since you liked his post.

Really? You're being sarcastic I hope. . . not sure if you are, since you liked his post.
I honestly don't get it. I read his post as sincere and positive. I'm totally missing something; what?

EDIT: OH. Duh. Got it. Tri-star flag, 3 star recruit. I'm slow. Heh. Sorry.

I honestly thought he was saying that it's good we're getting back into Memphis with recruiting.

Bama and Georgia both kicked the tires here. I could see an offer from Georgia at some point. This kid is really good. Plays well in space, he’s a huge need for our defense.
Does he have moxy or a lunch pail mentality? That’s the real question.

Normally you're right but this barely top 1000 player just had 137 tackles (33 for loss), 3 sacks and 3 INT on defense while racking up 381 yards of offense (333 receiving, 48 rushing). Earned Region 7-AAA Defensive Player of the Year honors for the second season in a row.
I saw his stats and wondered the same thing. A player in GA that has those stats, in one of the state's bigger divisions, still isn't ranked higher. Something is amiss. Either ALL the scouting services have dropped the ball (which is possible), or there are concerns.

Jeff you have zero idea what you’re talking about. Do you scout for a living? Do you have the requisite skill to differentiate whether this kid can play at this level or not? Hint you want to say no here as this is a trap.

Where did I ever say I was a scout? I leave that to the experts and most of them say he's a borderline prospect. I'm not making anything up. Like I said.... I hope he does fantastic here.

There are 130 division 1 teams. Each team has 22 starters. That is 2,860 players. The two deep has 5,720 players

In the top 25, there are 550 players in the starting line up alone. The top 20 has 440 starters, 880 in the two deep.

If you are recruiting in the top 900 players every year, you are competing in the upper tier of division 1 programs.

You are going to have some top 100 players, maybe get extremely lucky and have 1-2 top 10 players. Several top 250 and a few that aren't ranked as high. The coaches' ability to know how to determine a player's value and fit in their scheme becomes extremely important in this area of recruiting.

Bottom line is whether or not you believe the coaches are skilled at their job. Personally, I believe they know exactly what they're doing and exactly where each recruit fits into this team's chemistry.

After taking players who many deemed subpar in comparison to other SEC rosters last year and over-achieving, they've earned some trust in what they're building and who they bring in.

Good job with the research. I get your point. How many teams have a legit shot at winning the SEC. 5? Maybe? That's 220 players. But I'd rather UT try and win the SEC again in my lifetime. To do THAT... your players had better be in the Top 250-300. I don't think we know if CJH can evaluate and develop lower rated players yet. Hopefully he can and will. But I do know that he could be a combo of Neyland, Bryant and Rockne, but if he doesn't have better or equal talent, he won't win this league. I can't remember when a football team has done that in the SEC. Ever.

Can we reserve booms for more "boom worthy" commits. Not bagging this guy specifically, but hes BARELY top 1000 player. Hardly a boom. We are really struggling if we are taking players in the 900's.
Definitely will be a player here has a nose for the ball in a position with no depth for sure a boom

Good job with the research. I get your point. How many teams have a legit shot at winning the SEC. 5? Maybe? That's 220 players. But I'd rather UT try and win the SEC again in my lifetime. To do THAT... your players had better be in the Top 250-300. I don't think we know if CJH can evaluate and develop lower rated players yet. Hopefully he can and will. But I do know that he could be a combo of Neyland, Bryant and Rockne, but if he doesn't have better or equal talent, he won't win this league. I can't remember when a football team has done that in the SEC. Ever.
Really? Ever heard of Cedric Tillman. He was a lower rated player.
You're in fantasy land. 1.5yrs ago, no one would have ever expected last season's success or be predicting 8-9 wins in only the 2nd season.

You are delusional if you believe it's realistic to expect our coaches to recruit on the level of UGA and bammer in only the 2nd year. . . but that's what you're expectations are. There are 2-3 teams with a realistic expectation of winning the SEC. Expecting to recruit on that level in year 2 is fantasyland.

What is the class's recruiting ranking right now? 11. That is better than 90% of the other teams and is exceptional in year 2.

We're about to receive an early commitment from a '24 5* recruit with projections for '24 to be a top 5 class. That class will also include a couple players that are not 4 or 5*. In fact, you'll be hard pressed to find any class that consists only of 4&5* recruits.

The recruiting path that UT is currently on clearly points to their own expectations of competing for titles.

Run down recruits all you want, you're just showing your naivety and, in regards to 3* recruits in a class, you're simply just wrong.

Really? Ever heard of Cedric Tillman. He was a lower rated player.
You're in fantasy land. 1.5yrs ago, no one would have ever expected last season's success or be predicting 8-9 wins in only the 2nd season.

You are delusional if you believe it's realistic to expect our coaches to recruit on the level of UGA and bammer in only the 2nd year. . . but that's what you're expectations are. There are 2-3 teams with a realistic expectation of winning the SEC. Expecting to recruit on that level in year 2 is fantasyland.

What is the class's recruiting ranking right now? 11. That is better than 90% of the other teams and is exceptional in year 2.

We're about to receive an early commitment from a '24 5* recruit with projections for '24 to be a top 5 class. That class will also include a couple players that are not 4 or 5*. In fact, you'll be hard pressed to find any class that consists only of 4&5* recruits.

The recruiting path that UT is currently on clearly points to their own expectations of competing for titles.

Run down recruits all you want, you're just showing your naivety and, in regards to 3* recruits in a class, you're simply just wrong.
Also Theo Jackson Velus and Butler were all 3 stars. Drafted. Hooker was an above average QB in the ACC. Turned him into an all SEC back.

Heupel in year one got more than we thought possible out of most everyone he inherited.

Being honest, most of VN get excited about getting 4-5 stars. I do also. With that said I remember Shug Jordan being happy with the three star type talent, as long as they had a good work ethic . I also remember him winning the Iron bowl a few times against Bear Bryant's 5 star types. I trust the staff, this man looks good in the middle, with his size and our coaches I believe some 4-5 star RBs are going to get bruised.

Reactions: VOLINVONORE
Good to have the right man for the job. I am good with recruiting these young men if the coaches feel they have the correct young men. The NFL is full of this "mediocre" talent.
UT has done a terrible job of developing these players up to elite levels in the last 20 years. That is on our coaching staffs.

I think of all the talent that has gone through our team since 2001 and the potential that has not been met, and it is maddening.
The VOLS are lucky to still attract the best, when recruits look at our track record. They don't know Terry Fair and Marcus Nash and Leonard Little and Jayson Layman and DeRon Jenkins and Shane Burton and Nilo Silvan and ... Our Laurels are great, but long in the tooth and out of touch with these young men.

For those who doubt a 3 star,Cameron Sutton was a 3 star,and he is going into his fifth year as a starter for the Steelers.Also,as the world knows,Brady was a 3.If you do not do many camps,you won't get the extra stars.We will be fine.
We know some 3* turn out great and play above their rankings and vice versa, but to beat the big boys, we must recruit with the big boys. We need guys who can start at Bama and Ga, not guys that likely wouldn't crack their 3 deep

What I'm gathering from this post is you do not have a high level of emotional intelligence. Every Vol fan wants to beat Florida, YES that would be one helluva start for the VOLs. Georgia and Bama can be next. Rome was not built in a day.

From my post you determine I don't have "emotional intelligence." What is that supposed to mean? You are such a buffoon.

Bottom line is we're going to be a second tier program as long as our roster is dominated by 3 stars. Try to argue that as much as you want but it's not going to change anything. Their 5 stars will always be better than our 3 stars. Recruiting has to improve.

I will admit NIL, transfer portal and the collapse of the NCAA have given me a more negative view, plus my tix went from $4500 a year to $46k a year (really great seats I've had for 32 years). Here's what I think will happen (you can hate on this all you want).

There is going to be a niche where loosely affiliated brokers go to athletes that weren't highly recruited but turn out to be late bloomers by their 2nd year and tell them that they have a relationship with a supporting organization that will pay them to transfer and play for the broker's school. So even if we find a diamond in the rough who develops into a really good player, we're going to have to find the cash to keep him. Broker would get a commission for each kid he brings in.

Let's say our affiliates are already paying some great player $100k a year. In its spring game Texas A&M loses its starting LT to an ACL. Panic hits and it turns out UT has a 2nd team all SEC LT on its team. A&M's boosters go to the kid and up the price to $1 million a year. What's the kid going to do?

A supporting organization is a tax exempt entity that supports another tax exempt entity by performing activities the main charity would normally perforn or by spending cash on behalf of the main charity or by giving the charity the cash.

From my post you determine I don't have "emotional intelligence." What is that supposed to mean? You are such a buffoon.

Bottom line is we're going to be a second tier program as long as our roster is dominated by 3 stars. Try to argue that as much as you want but it's not going to change anything. Their 5 stars will always be better than our 3 stars. Recruiting has to improve.

I will admit NIL, transfer portal and the collapse of the NCAA have given me a more negative view, plus my tix went from $4500 a year to $46k a year (really great seats I've had for 32 years). Here's what I think will happen (you can hate on this all you want).

There is going to be a niche where loosely affiliated brokers go to athletes that weren't highly recruited but turn out to be late bloomers by their 2nd year and tell them that they have a relationship with a supporting organization that will pay them to transfer and play for the broker's school. So even if we find a diamond in the rough who develops into a really good player, we're going to have to find the cash to keep him. Broker would get a commission for each kid he brings in.

Let's say our affiliates are already paying some great player $100k a year. In its spring game Texas A&M loses its starting LT to an ACL. Panic hits and it turns out UT has a 2nd team all SEC LT on its team. A&M's boosters go to the kid and up the price to $1 million a year. What's the kid going to do?

A supporting organization is a tax exempt entity that supports another tax exempt entity by performing activities the main charity would normally perforn or by spending cash on behalf of the main charity or by giving the charity the cash.
Don't get your panties is such a wad. We are ahead of schedule and we will be just fine. nWe will get our share of the "big guys" as our coaches continue to up the skill levels of our recruits, regardless of the the star rank. If you are really that concerned about Our NIL, take out the check book and write a $100,000 check to help offset the A&M Nil program.

Reactions: feathersax
Apparently my comments struck a nerve, to say the least. Look... I'm sure this young man is a great kid, student, etc. This process isn't personal. It's all about your skill level and ability to compete at the HIGHEST level in the NCAA which is the SEC! It's a very harsh, critical business. Stars can be deceiving, I get that. However, they are much more of an accurate indicator of future success than not. This commit is ranked in the 900's. I understand that many of you haven't been around as long as I have, but recruiting kids in the 900's aint gonna cut it. Maybe he'll be reevaluated later and that may change. I HOPE he becomes an AA here. Again... it's a business and much of the personal stuff can be left out. I never said one critical thing about the young man's personal makeup. I'm specifically talking about his ability to play football at this level. If you can't differentiate, I hope your not in business for yourself.
You have no Idea if he can play here. I trust those that actually Coach Football In the SEC and have won elsewhere. Your opinion is worth a grain of salt in these regards. No offense to you but I doubt your qualified to evaluate tape, measurables or speed.

VN Store

Back