Big Board of Coaches Updated 1/4/2021

Before being fired? Chris Petersen was untouchable at UDUB. He led them to back to back double digit win seasons for the first time in 25 years.
They told him he had to make changes to his assistants after he choked yet again his final year, and he suddenly got "stressed" and quit

They told him he had to make changes to his assistants after he choked yet again his final year, and he suddenly got "stressed" and quit
So they told the only coach in Washington history to record three straight seasons of double-digit wins that he had to make staff changes or else? One year removed from a Rose Bowl appearance? Please link that story, I’d love to read it.

Before being fired? Chris Petersen was untouchable at UDUB. He led them to back to back double digit win seasons for the first time in 25 years.

Ricky seems to imagine coaches that don't get fired at all, got fired. Peterson isn't the first coach he's said that about. The guy took a bunch of two star recruits and beat Hall of Fame coaches with loaded rosters in years they won conference titles but it's not impressive because apparently he lost to Nick Saban at one point.

The problem is that's a very short list for realistic choices. It full list consists of:

Active:
Coach O
Saban
Dabo
Les Miles
Jimbo
Mack Brown
Pete Carroll

Not Active:
Urban
Jim Tressel
Fulmer
Bob Stoops
Spurrier
Bobby Bowden
Lou Holtz
Dennis Erickson
Jimmy Johnson
Barry Switzer
Tom Osborne
Larry Coker
The problem is that's a very short list for realistic choices. It full list consists of:

Active:
Coach O
Saban
Dabo
Les Miles
Jimbo
Mack Brown
Pete Carroll

Not Active:
Urban
Jim Tressel
Fulmer
Bob Stoops
Spurrier
Bobby Bowden
Lou Holtz
Dennis Erickson
Jimmy Johnson
Barry Switzer
Tom Osborne
Larry Coker

Where is Mike Tomlin on this list. With a 10-0 start at Pittsburg he’s probably looking to parlay that into a promotion. Which coaching the Vols clearly would be!!!1

Reactions: UTwild82
We will hire the director of player personnel from Bethune-Cookman when we hire another. We are addicted to bad hires. Like an abused partner who will not leave the abuser. Stockholm syndrome at its finest.

Reactions: DaUndergroundMan
BYU has literally played a bunch of stiffs, they aren't that impressive at all....so has coastal carolina...
amazing how people want coaches who have yet to even play a p5 team this season, let alone beat them

Would you include us in that bunch of stiffs? Because a much worse BYU team came into Neyland last year and won. I have Sitake on my list but figure he definitely would be more of a longshot due to his ties to BYU. But, I still think he's more realistic than Meyer or Stoops. Heck, I would have Tom Allen as probably my #2 or #3 pick on my board but don't feel he's realistic either. I am pretty sure if he leaves IU (he's from Indiana) that he would stay in the Big 10 and either go to Michigan or Penn State.

Sitake's BYU program last year beat #24 ranked USC 30-27 and #14 Boise State 28-25. This year all the schedules got messed up due to Covid but they've still decimated almost everyone they've played.

@Navy 55-3
vs Troy 48-7
vs LA Tech 45-14
vs UTSA 27-20
@Houston 43-26
vs Tx State 52-14
vs West KY 41-10
@Boise St 51-17
vs North Alabama 66-14

He's a good coach. He's not my first choice but I think he's proven way more than our coach ever has or will. I mean he beat UT in Neyland last year and last year beat USC and Boise St. I think BYU could play with anyone in the SEC except Bama. They would give Florida or A&M all they could handle.

Coastal Carolina beat Appy State in a hard game Saturday. They are the real deal. It's not comparing apples to apples but there's no way you can take away from what Chadwell has done there. His team looks very well coached.

Why would any good coach want to come to Knoxville? The fan base will just want to run them out of town at the first hint of struggle. 💁🏿

With all due respect you are calling this the first hint of a struggle? Just look at this forum. No offense to anyone. The VAST majority of users defended Dooley AND the trumpet blower until there was absolutely no defense left. Coaches should love coming here because many fans in this fanbase are coach worshippers. They will defend them no matter what.

What I saw with this coach is people giving him every opportunity to show them he belonged here. The fans want to love the coach - they want him to be successful. But this isn't the first hint at a struggle. I began worrying about his coaching acumen in year one when all he had to do was beat Missouri or Vandy to go bowling and get those extra practices we really could have used. Instead, we got beat down. And Vandy blew us out of the stadium with a bad team. That should give anyone pause.

Immediately following that the first game in 2019 we have an all time low loss to Georgia State. Not Georgia, or heck even Georgia Tech, but Georgia State. Even then I didn't see many people calling for his head. Sure there were people very upset and right after a game people say things but for the most part his support still hovered around 80%. We lose to BYU and people still give him a pass.

But this year - there's been no excuses for not only a few of these losses but the way we've lost. Anyone can see this guy is in over his head. Getting blown out at home versus Kentucky was the absolute final straw for me. I figured it was coming to this but still was trying to give the guy every chance. But 5 straight double digit losses for the first time in school HISTORY - dating back to the late 1800s - that's not the first hint at a struggle. The struggle has been lost and the undertaker is about to start burying the body at this point.

When we play Florida this year, Mullen is going to make sure he buries us. He will delete any thought in anyone's mind that Tennessee can hang with them and prove to recruits who is the better school to play for. He will prove, for the 3rd year in a row, who the superior coach is. It is going to be ugly. We might beat Vandy, but I don't think it will overcome the ugly that is going to happen in the TAM and Florida games. Not to mention how badly we got beat by Kentucky and Arkansas. We haven't had a close game all year except the 2 we won. This team has regressed and everyone sees it. Every week we look like the one team on the field that is unprepared. That's coaching. Pruitt honestly looks like the worst coach in the SEC at this point. I can't defend him anymore.

The other thing everyone keeps talking about is baggage of some coaches, particularly Freeze. If we can be adults and get past his past sins, everyone knows he will be a great coach. He is proven... PROVEN. Freeze did wrong, he has repented, matured and turned a corner and will have a magnifying glass on him. He won't screw up like that again in my opinion. Urban Meyer is only interested in Urban Meyer... He for sure hasn't changed. I would trust a Freeze led team before Meyer all day.

Unless a miracle happens, Pruitt is gone by the end of next year. Why bleed out slowly when we don't have to?

I think you absolutely start with urban meyer. If his people tell you outright no then you go straight to freeze and lock him down. Nobody else on that list is with talking to until after you’re told no by those two (as they have both done it at the highest level and in the sec). Also, you wouldn’t have to go any lower on that list because freeze would absolutely take the job
But this is so complicated because fulmer has to go first. There’s no way in hell you can keep him around or allow him to have any involvement with this whatsoever. I think you let him go within the next week and try to bring on David Blackburn (or someone else if he declines) within the next few weeks. Then you allow the new ad to lead the charge.

I change my allegiance if Tennessee hires Meyer.

Reactions: DougAtkins91
Nope, in y’all mind it appears to always be the coach’s fault. The downfall started when Fulmer was forced out of town and program has been down every since.
No, the problem started in 2005 when Fulmer started taking the program for granted and had a losing season with some of the best talent in the country.

Bruce Pearl and Auburn self impose post season ban.
That's exactly why I don't want Hugh Freeze.
If it walks like a duck , talks like a duck , it's a duck.
Those kinds of coaches belong in the professional leagues.

List his FBS-level national titles and conference championships.

Unless he has any of those, he's not the right hire (and that's not even bringing up his weak character and value system).

Let's don't go through this pain again of spending 3-5 years finding out the guy we _thought_ could take the next step, actually couldn't. We've done that four times in a row.

It's time to go out and buy a championship winner.

Are you implying we should hire Phillip Fulmer? Because if your only criteria is a coach that was won a national championship then I'm glad you're not in charge of the hiring process.

Reactions: DaUndergroundMan
All I’m saying dude, you think the coaching fraternity doesn’t know the fan environment here? Do they know the outlandish expectations for immediate success? Not having equal access to players because of academic/restrictions other schools don’t have. The competition that Tennessee plays? And the past history of our coaches since 1975? Every coach has been fired or quit (Lane), including a National Champion coach with 4 SEC titles. Who wants a part of that loyalty or ending to their time here?

This is the thought I've tried to get across since before Kiffin. Excellent communication on your part. It isn't there are no coaches available...the valid ones just don't want to be part of this s???show.

Reactions: DougAtkins91

VN Store

Back