Big Board of Coaches

Feel free to debate or ask questions. I like statistics and don't think they lie most of the time. All these guys except Brady have HEAD coaching experience at the D1 level and have shown to turn bad teams around and do good things. That's my criteria for next coach. The exception I made was Joe Brady because he's the safest assistant out there you could hire IMO. Guy will be a very good head coach I think.

1. Matt Campbell - inside track to outright win the Big 12 at Iowa State. His stats as a head coach are very impressive and he would be at the very tip top of my list. This guy can be on the Dabo level IMO at a better school.

2. Luke Fickell (but I think it would be a very outside shot at getting him as he's likely heading to the Big 10 or maybe even Texas). Fickell can definitely get the job done and has enough experience now where he would not be a risk at all.

3. Jamey Chadwell - has taken this Coastal Carolina team and elevated them to the next level. Their team is very fun to watch and just won a huge game against Appy State. He'll be a head coach next year in one of the Power 5 schools.

4. Kalani Sitake - BYU is the real deal and this guy is a tremendous up and coming coach. Beat UT last year in Neyland and is undefeated this year absolutely crushing teams in his path.

5. Hugh Freeze - he would be higher on my list if not for some of his baggage. He'd probably win big here though. And we'd be fun to watch.

6. Billy Napier - doing very good things at Louisiana. Beat Matt Campbell's Iowa State team who may win the Big 12 this year. He'll be elevated next year to a Power 5 school.

7. Joe Brady - the only assistant I put on this list. Was one of the masterminds behind LSU's success and now in the NFL getting that experience. He will be a bigtime head coach sooner than later.

8. Doc Holliday - the fallback option to put this thing back on track. Solid coach, great recruiter. Could come in and do this for 5 years and hand the keys over to a great coach with the team in much better shape.

titansvolsfaninga

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV

1. Matt Campbell - inside track to outright win the Big 12 at Iowa State. His stats as a head coach are very impressive and he would be at the very tip top of my list. This guy can be on the Dabo level IMO at a better school.

2. Luke Fickell (but I think it would be a very outside shot at getting him as he's likely heading to the Big 10 or maybe even Texas). Fickell can definitely get the job done and has enough experience now where he would not be a risk at all.

3. Jamey Chadwell - has taken this Coastal Carolina team and elevated them to the next level. Their team is very fun to watch and just won a huge game against Appy State. He'll be a head coach next year in one of the Power 5 schools.

4. Kalani Sitake - BYU is the real deal and this guy is a tremendous up and coming coach. Beat UT last year in Neyland and is undefeated this year absolutely crushing teams in his path.

5. Hugh Freeze - he would be higher on my list if not for some of his baggage. He'd probably win big here though. And we'd be fun to watch.

6. Billy Napier - doing very good things at Louisiana. Beat Matt Campbell's Iowa State team who may win the Big 12 this year. He'll be elevated next year to a Power 5 school.

7. Joe Brady - the only assistant I put on this list. Was one of the masterminds behind LSU's success and now in the NFL getting that experience. He will be a bigtime head coach sooner than later.

8. Doc Holliday - the fallback option to put this thing back on track. Solid coach, great recruiter. Could come in and do this for 5 years and hand the keys over to a great coach with the team in much better shape.
Anybody on this list but Brady. Does not have head coaching experience. Good/Great coordinators do not always make good/great coaches.

chattavol420

I think you absolutely start with urban meyer. If his people tell you outright no then you go straight to freeze and lock him down. Nobody else on that list is with talking to until after you’re told no by those two (as they have both done it at the highest level and in the sec). Also, you wouldn’t have to go any lower on that list because freeze would absolutely take the job
But this is so complicated because fulmer has to go first. There’s no way in hell you can keep him around or allow him to have any involvement with this whatsoever. I think you let him go within the next week and try to bring on David Blackburn (or someone else if he declines) within the next few weeks. Then you allow the new ad to lead the charge.

Last edited:

VFL-82-JP

Bleedin' Orange...
Not a single one on that board worth going through this pain again for.

Ohio State went out and bought Urban Meyer. Michigan went out and bought Jim Harbaugh (even though that didn't work out worth a crap). Bama went out and bought Nick Saban. A&M went out and bought Kevin Sumlin _and_ Jimbo Fisher. USC went out and bought Pete Carroll.

Tennessee has always been known for growing our own.* We grew General Neyland from a young captain into a multi-championship demi-god. We grew John Barnhill into a winner, too. And Doug Dickey. And Phillip Fulmer. In fact, every one of the coaches who won our 4 to 6 national championships, we grew ourselves. Johnny Majors is the only championship-winning coach we went out and bought after he was already proven. But he was a VFL anyway, so it's only a half-exception.

But now, if he doesn't have a national title already, don't want him.

It's time for us to go out and buy a known winner. It's time.

* defined as this being their first head coaching job...not yet a proven commodity.

utkjoe

I agree with Freeze as my favorite, but with everything that happened at Ole Miss (and the further rumors beyond that) he isn't coaching in the SEC this next year. He needs at least another year or two before the SEC will allow him back. I would move on from this dream if I were you.

Still, I want someone with head-coaching experience on a bigger stage. Matt Campbell sounds like a great option. Billy Napier does intrigue me though.

TheFlash1971

Campbell, Sitake, or Freeze.
Any one of those guys are proven winners.
Of course with Freeze it's a huge gamble.

I'll take Kiffin also.

Just fire 🔥 Pruitt. We need a head coach that is going to bring stability to this program and be able to win at the same time.

Right now we have had a string of losing stability.

Nationdom

Not a single one on that board worth going through this pain again for.

Ohio State went out and bought Urban Meyer. Michigan went out and bought Jim Harbaugh (even though that didn't work out worth a crap). Bama went out and bought Nick Saban. A&M went out and bought Kevin Sumlin _and_ Jimbo Fisher. USC went out and bought Pete Carroll.

Tennessee has always been known for growing our own.* We grew General Neyland from a young captain into a multi-championship demi-god. We grew John Barnhill into a winner, too. And Doug Dickey. And Phillip Fulmer. In fact, every one of the coaches who won our 4 to 6 national championships, we grew ourselves. Johnny Majors is the only championship-winning coach we went out and bought after he was already proven. But he was a VFL anyway, so it's only a half-exception.

But now, if he doesn't have a national title already, don't want him.

It's time for us to go out and buy a known winner. It's time.

* defined as this being their first head coaching job...not yet a proven commodity.
Freeze is a known winner. he's elite. he has repented.

lilesrt

Campbell, Sitake, or Freeze.
Any one of those guys are proven winners.
Of course with Freeze it's a huge gamble.

I'll take Kiffin also.

Just fire 🔥 Pruitt. We need a head coach that is going to bring stability to this program and be able to win at the same time.

Right now we have had a string of losing stability.
Why is Hugh Freeze a huge gamble? He’s the safest hire of all the coaches listed.

I think you absolutely start with urban meyer. If his people tell you outright no then you go straight to freeze and lick him down. Nobody else on that list is with talking to until after you’re told no by those two (as they have both done it at the highest level and in the sec). Also, you wouldn’t have to go any lower on that list because freeze would absolutely take the job
But this is so complicated because fulmer has to go first. There’s no way in hell you can keep him around or allow him to have any involvement with this whatsoever. I think you let him go within the next week and try to bring on David Blackburn (or someone else if he declines) within the next few weeks. Then you allow the new ad to lead the charge.
Just figure there's no way of landing Meyer. I was trying to be realistic. I think Campbell and Fickell would both be at the top of what we'd be willing to pay. And if Meyer goes anywhere I think he heads to Texas or Michigan.

Rickyvol77

Feel free to debate or ask questions. I like statistics and don't think they lie most of the time. All these guys except Brady have HEAD coaching experience at the D1 level and have shown to turn bad teams around and do good things. That's my criteria for next coach. The exception I made was Joe Brady because he's the safest assistant out there you could hire IMO. Guy will be a very good head coach I think.

All risky hires of unproven coaches. Except for cheater Freeze which they aren’t gonna hire ever

VFL1993

If I can’t scuba, then what’s this all been about?
My big board would be:

1b - Hugh Freeze (has had success in the SEC and has said that UT is a dream job for him. Definitely brings some baggage though even if you don’t include off the field issues)

1c - Matt Campbell (very unlikely IMO because he has never expressed a desire to coach at UT. He has proven the ability to develop players and beat teams with superior talent. I think he’s waiting for a NFL gig though)

2 - Joe Brady (high risk, high reward but you can’t argue his ability to develop quarterbacks and I think he will bring a lot of intrigue. However, I’m not sure he considers UT a “dream job” so if we hire him he will probably leave once a NFL HC job is offered to him. I would gladly take a couple years of success though)

...1a of course is Gruden

VFL-82-JP

Bleedin' Orange...
Freeze is a known winner. he's elite. he has repented.
List his FBS-level national titles and conference championships.

Unless he has any of those, he's not the right hire (and that's not even bringing up his weak character and value system).

Let's don't go through this pain again of spending 3-5 years finding out the guy we _thought_ could take the next step, actually couldn't. We've done that four times in a row.

It's time to go out and buy a championship winner.

Last edited:

VN Store

Sponsors