- Sep 28, 2004
Feel free to debate or ask questions. I like statistics and don't think they lie most of the time. All these guys except Brady have HEAD coaching experience at the D1 level and have shown to turn bad teams around and do good things. That's my criteria for next coach. The exception I made was Joe Brady because he's the safest assistant out there you could hire IMO. Guy will be a very good head coach I think.
1. Matt Campbell - inside track to outright win the Big 12 at Iowa State. His stats as a head coach are very impressive and he would be at the very tip top of my list. This guy can be on the Dabo level IMO at a better school.
2. Luke Fickell (but I think it would be a very outside shot at getting him as he's likely heading to the Big 10 or maybe even Texas). Fickell can definitely get the job done and has enough experience now where he would not be a risk at all.
3. Jamey Chadwell - has taken this Coastal Carolina team and elevated them to the next level. Their team is very fun to watch and just won a huge game against Appy State. He'll be a head coach next year in one of the Power 5 schools.
4. Kalani Sitake - BYU is the real deal and this guy is a tremendous up and coming coach. Beat UT last year in Neyland and is undefeated this year absolutely crushing teams in his path.
5. Hugh Freeze - he would be higher on my list if not for some of his baggage. He'd probably win big here though. And we'd be fun to watch.
6. Billy Napier - doing very good things at Louisiana. Beat Matt Campbell's Iowa State team who may win the Big 12 this year. He'll be elevated next year to a Power 5 school.
7. Joe Brady - the only assistant I put on this list. Was one of the masterminds behind LSU's success and now in the NFL getting that experience. He will be a bigtime head coach sooner than later.
8. Doc Holliday - the fallback option to put this thing back on track. Solid coach, great recruiter. Could come in and do this for 5 years and hand the keys over to a great coach with the team in much better shape.