Big Board of Coaches Updated 1/4/2021

Chadwell and staff are the best coached team in college football right now! I've watched them at 3 locations now and everywhere has been hugely successful. SC should hire the entire staff and team. They would immediately be 2nd place in the EAST.

Should change our mascot from the Vols to the Fire’s. It’s all our fan base wants to do is Fire our coach! The list last my whole life, all the way back to Battle, DeVoe, Majors, Fulmer, Green, Dooley, Jones, Martin, Holly, Jolley, Pruitt... and I’ve missed others. There is something seriously wrong with people that call themselves Tennessee Volunteer fans. Fahr, Fahr, Fahr, 🔥🔥🔥. Time for our fans to go look in the mirror!
And then there are those who just love mediocrity. We give, you win.

Reactions: 'Boro-vol
And then there are those who just love mediocrity. We give, you win.
All I’m saying dude, you think the coaching fraternity doesn’t know the fan environment here? Do they know the outlandish expectations for immediate success? Not having equal access to players because of academic/restrictions other schools don’t have. The competition that Tennessee plays? And the past history of our coaches since 1975? Every coach has been fired or quit (Lane), including a National Champion coach with 4 SEC titles. Who wants a part of that loyalty or ending to their time here?

Reactions: PowerT83
PZ3UJZ5.jpg

Feel free to debate or ask questions. I like statistics and don't think they lie most of the time. All these guys except Brady have HEAD coaching experience at the D1 level and have shown to turn bad teams around and do good things. That's my criteria for next coach. The exception I made was Joe Brady because he's the safest assistant out there you could hire IMO. Guy will be a very good head coach I think.

1. Matt Campbell - inside track to outright win the Big 12 at Iowa State. His stats as a head coach are very impressive and he would be at the very tip top of my list. This guy can be on the Dabo level IMO at a better school.

2. Luke Fickell (but I think it would be a very outside shot at getting him as he's likely heading to the Big 10 or maybe even Texas). Fickell can definitely get the job done and has enough experience now where he would not be a risk at all.

3. Jamey Chadwell - has taken this Coastal Carolina team and elevated them to the next level. Their team is very fun to watch and just won a huge game against Appy State. He'll be a head coach next year in one of the Power 5 schools.

4. Kalani Sitake - BYU is the real deal and this guy is a tremendous up and coming coach. Beat UT last year in Neyland and is undefeated this year absolutely crushing teams in his path.

5. Hugh Freeze - he would be higher on my list if not for some of his baggage. He'd probably win big here though. And we'd be fun to watch.

6. Billy Napier - doing very good things at Louisiana. Beat Matt Campbell's Iowa State team who may win the Big 12 this year. He'll be elevated next year to a Power 5 school.

7. Joe Brady - the only assistant I put on this list. Was one of the masterminds behind LSU's success and now in the NFL getting that experience. He will be a bigtime head coach sooner than later.

8. Doc Holliday - the fallback option to put this thing back on track. Solid coach, great recruiter. Could come in and do this for 5 years and hand the keys over to a great coach with the team in much better shape.

Give him another year.

Here is who you call first (most likely won't take it): Urban Meyer, Bob Stoops
After they say "no" you call: Hugh Freeze, Luke Fickell, Billy Napier
Next in line: Jeff Hafley, Jim Franklin (put respect on his name for bringing 2 programs from bad circumstances back to promise)
Wild Cards: Will Healy, Tom Allen, Lane Kiffin

That's why Brady is near the bottom of my wishlist. But I still think he has more upside potential. If we didn't just hire a disaster of a defensive coordinator as a head coach I would even put Clark Lea who is Notre Dame's DC on my wishlist but after Pruitt I don't want another DC elevated to head coach anytime soon.

I know most people want Freeze as their #1 option and I'd be fine with him because it would be exciting football if nothing else but I think Campbell and Fickell are both better options. And Chadwell and Sitake are both wild cards but I think both of them could get the job done. Sitake may not come here due to his Mormon faith but he's very intriguing. Top 10 in both offense and defense stats with BYU this year. Chadwell makes sense because of his ties to the area and if you pay attention to his Coastal Carolina team those dudes can play. They'd be a middle of the pack SEC team this year - and we are talking about a team that just went D1 a few years ago.

Let's hold off on the BYU coach until he has sustained success...With his QB, UT would be looking at 1 loss at this moment...

All I’m saying dude, you think the coaching fraternity doesn’t know the fan environment here? Do they know the outlandish expectations for immediate success? The competition that Tennessee plays? And the past history of our coaches since 1975? Every coach has been fired or quit, including a National Champion coach with 4 SEC titles. Who wants a part of that loyalty or ending to their time here?
Did Gene Stallings win a NC at Bama in 1992 and was subsequently fired? Danny Ford won one at Clemson and was fired. Mack Brown had an exceptional record at Texas but was fired. Ron Zook had a winning record at Florida and was fired. You are completely oblivious if you think UT has unreasonable expectations. But that is ok because your desire for mediocrity is the main term that describes this program now. It should read, Give your mediocrity for Tennessee Today!”

Your attitude that it is always the fans’ fault is what is wrong with this program. I have been to bowl games where there were 40,000-50,000 UT fans in attendance. I have been to Nashville and Lexington where at least 60 percent of the stadium was Tennessee Orange. The fans have suffered enough over the last 15 years to give up. If the President of the University does not step in and take corrective action then maybe they should.

Also, I do not believe in playing the victim card either. In the 80’s and 90’s we were the feared team in the conference because we made it that way. We need leadership at UT that had the attitude that Majors did when he rebuilt the program. If you want to complain about our schedule then you might want to investigate if the MAC or Ohio Valley have an opening available. That is about the quality of leadership and coaching we have at UT.

I am not one for getting rid of coach Pruitt,but,if we did ,Lane Kiffin with Derek Mason as DC would be the best choice.If Kiffin
would return,he would scare the entire east.and Sabin.This year,he had no defense to slow Bama.With Tenn with Mason,who is a stellar defensive coach,he would have a defense comparable to Smart/Pruitt at Bama.Also,no problem getting top flight recruits on offense or defense.With that said,I am ok with Pruitt and Chaney with one more year,and get the Muskrat to be DC.

Give Bob Stoops whatever he wants! With Stoops we know what we will get. He will bring back the credibility, toughness and intensity we need. He knows how to mentor young men and groom coaches (look at his coaching tree). With any luck, he grooms his own successor.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
I asked you first! I'm as unhappy with the losses as anyone....probably more so!!!!!

But it's just flat out STUPID to think that the same man who led this team to 8 straight wins and had us beating UGA at the end of the 1st half this year has somehow gotten so pathetic that he needs to be fired......All of those guys screaming for CJP's head aren't very smart.

I don't like the fact that CJP has stuck with JG as the starter....I thought that he should've benched JG after Bama and put the extra effort in to develop Bailey to be the starter for
the rest of the season. And I hope that he will now....because Bailey certainly looked ready last night.

Nevertheless--Chaney did NOTHING to help us at Arkansas in the 2nd half....not a darned thing!

And the loss can't be pinned on CJP last night....a FG kicker who misses 2 out of 3 and CJP certainly didn't call the play and throw the pass that turned the game around--especially when we had run the ball down their throat that whole drive...

CJP is getting the talent everywhere else....but hasn't had a lot of luck at QB....but Bailey looks like the man and Salter may be better, too.

I'm willing to give CJP 2021 to see the necessary improvement....but it just ain't gonna happen--IMO--with Chaney at OC and JG on the roster....
Have you noticed our Defense sucks too?

That's why Brady is near the bottom of my wishlist. But I still think he has more upside potential. If we didn't just hire a disaster of a defensive coordinator as a head coach I would even put Clark Lea who is Notre Dame's DC on my wishlist but after Pruitt I don't want another DC elevated to head coach anytime soon.

I know most people want Freeze as their #1 option and I'd be fine with him because it would be exciting football if nothing else but I think Campbell and Fickell are both better options. And Chadwell and Sitake are both wild cards but I think both of them could get the job done. Sitake may not come here due to his Mormon faith but he's very intriguing. Top 10 in both offense and defense stats with BYU this year. Chadwell makes sense because of his ties to the area and if you pay attention to his Coastal Carolina team those dudes can play. They'd be a middle of the pack SEC team this year - and we are talking about a team that just went D1 a few years ago.
BYU has literally played a bunch of stiffs, they aren't that impressive at all....so has coastal carolina...
amazing how people want coaches who have yet to even play a p5 team this season, let alone beat them

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
Meyer - he'll say no, but I'd make him say no.

Bob Stoops - same deal. Nothing wrong with asking, but I'm like 99.99% sure he'd say no too.

Hugh Freeze - He can win. Who cares about baggage at this point? I just want to win.

Matt Campbell - great coach doing great things at Iowa State

Steve Sarkisian - Guy has a solid HC record as a P5 HC. Lost his job due to some personal demons. I don't believe Saban would tolerate that, so he must be past that. If so, he could build us into a solid program and that Bama offense is AMAZING.
Meyer or Stoops would be interesting choices

Freeze is never going to be hired here

Campbell is a risk

Sarkisian is a mediocre HC

Peterson has two unbeaten seasons, multiple top 5 and top 10 finishes and almost 100 more career wins than Hugh Freeze with the same number of losses. His resume is way more stacked than Freeze's.
Peterson is overrated, As with Hawkins and Nutt and every other Boise coach, when they go to P5 jobs, they are mediocre when playing actual P5 opponents.

Then who in the world is out there? I think Campbell would be a great hire.
Honestly, unless you are going to be able to land a Meyer, Stoops, Gruden which would be exciting AND they have the obvious gravitas for winning at a high level,
everyone else you take either has severe baggage or have never actually won at a high level in a place like the SEC and just like Kiffin, Dooley, Jones, and Pruitt is a risky hit or miss prayer

The only way Sitake leaves BYU is if they fire him. He is the most unlikely candidate on that list. He went to school at BYU and is a devout LDS. If UT wants to make a change they should talk to Freeze.
Used to hear the same about Bronco Mendenhall. He wasn’t an alumnus but is a devout Mormon.

You are completely oblivious if you think UT has unreasonable expectations.
For what it’s worth, let me say I am completely oblivious. So far, firing Fulmer has played out exactly as I expected, but it’s lasting beyond how long I thought it would last.

Entitlement simply does not work as a philosophy when other people are actively trying to take you down. It can’t work in a competitive environment in my oblivious world.

Meyer or Stoops would be interesting choices

Freeze is never going to be hired here

Campbell is a risk

Sarkisian is a mediocre HC
Stoops and Meyer are moon shots. But nothing wrong with trying.

You may be right about Freeze, but I hope our administration opens their eyes.

Campbell has Iowa St all alone in first place in the Big 12. That guy can coach. I'd love to have him at UT.

Sark is a bit of a gamble I suppose. He took over a Washington program in rough shape. USC was still dealing with scholarship issues. I think he can be every bit as good as Kiffin. But I'd rather have Campbell or Freeze.

The G5 candidates being mentioned may be awesome, but I really don't want to go down that road.

I left Tom Allen off my initial list, but he'd be a solid hire. If I were Nebraska, I'd have him in Lincoln tomorrow. If he can build a team at Indiana, he can build one there as well. I think given the resources he would have in Lincoln, he could turn Nebraska in the west into what Ohio State is in the East division of the Big 10.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
Here is who you call first (most likely won't take it): Urban Meyer, Bob Stoops
After they say "no" you call: Hugh Freeze, Luke Fickell, Billy Napier
Next in line: Jeff Hafley, Jim Franklin (put respect on his name for bringing 2 programs from bad circumstances back to promise)
Wild Cards: Will Healy, Tom Allen, Lane Kiffin

Hafley looks like an up and comer. Franklin has had sexual assault allegations in his program at two straight schools.

Peterson is overrated, As with Hawkins and Nutt and every other Boise coach, when they go to P5 jobs, they are mediocre when playing actual P5 opponents.

Let's see, Peterson beat the following at Boise State, all away from home except for one game vs Oregon.

Oklahoma/Bob Stoops top 10 ranked Big 12 champions BCS Bowl
Oregon/Mike Belotti 10 win top 15 team
Oregon/Chip Kelly top 15 Pac-10 champions
TCU/Gary Patterson ranked #3 BCS Bowl
Georgia/Mark Richt 10 win SEC East Champion
Virginia Tech/Frank Beamer 11 win ACC Champion

Overall he was 9-3 vs P5 teams while at Boise State, He beat a division or outright conference champion of the Big 12, ACC, SEC and Pac-10. He never played a Big 10 Champion at Boise. His recruiting classes were 80th, 63rd, 87th, 69th, 110th, 53rd, 61st, and 55th. He never coached even a 4-star player at Boise State. At Washington he had 3 straight 10+ win teams, won 2 Pac-12 Championship games, went to the CFP Playoff and played in multiple NY6 bowls. He did that with only two top 25 signing classes in his tenure at Washington. The guy is an exceptional coach vs all levels of schools.

Let's see, Peterson beat the following at Boise State, all away from home except for one game vs Oregon.

Overall he was 9-3 vs P5 teams while at Boise State, He beat a division or outright conference champion of the Big 12, ACC, SEC and Pac-10. He never played a Big 10 Champion at Boise. His recruiting classes were 80th, 63rd, 87th, 69th, 110th, 53rd, 61st, and 55th. He never coached even a 4-star player at Boise State. At Washington he had 3 straight 10+ win teams, won 2 Pac-12 Championship games, went to the CFP Playoff and played in multiple NY6 bowls. He did that with only two top 25 signing classes in his tenure at Washington. The guy is an exceptional coach vs all levels of schools.
Helluva recruiter. 😏

Easy to get up for your literal ONE tough opponent a year and use all your season to prepare for them.

Funny how when he went to a P5 conference as coach (the weakest P5 conference), his regularly lost 4, 5, and 6 games a year...and had a losing record in bowls too...
and what happened when he had his best team ever? He got beat by Alabama by 3 TDs

There is a reason that he quit before being fired because of his "stress"

Easy to get up for your literal ONE tough opponent a year and use all your season to prepare for them.

Funny how when he went to a P5 conference as coach (the weakest P5 conference), his regularly lost 4, 5, and 6 games a year...and had a losing record in bowls too...
and what happened when he had his best team ever? He got beat by Alabama by 3 TDs

There is a reason that he quit before being fired because of his "stress"
Before being fired? Chris Petersen was untouchable at UDUB. He led them to back to back double digit win seasons for the first time in 25 years.

VN Store

Back