Big Blue History (details of UT games)

Was looking at the '76 game at Lexington which Tennessee won 90-88 in OT. Grunfeld had 43 points and Mike Phillips for KY had 28 rebounds.

I had heard something about this but never knew the story. Thanks for sharing.
Yeah. I was there and also had a class with Ernie and asked what happened. He just said the ref handed him the ball and told him to shoot and he did. I believe he was 11 of 11 free throws that night. He said “who am I to argue with the ref?”. Loved Ernie and Bernie. Those were fun times.

Reactions: Boca Vol
Ever notice that the schools with great basketball programs have crappy football programs?...Kentucky, Kansas, Duke, UNC...Altho kentucky and UNC has had some decent season the past few years but historically crappy.
Think about a guy like me that didn't become a UT fan until 2006. UT football means relatively little to me compared to basketball.

Ever notice that the schools with great basketball programs have crappy football programs?...Kentucky, Kansas, Duke, UNC...Altho kentucky and UNC has had some decent season the past few years but historically crappy.

Lack of institutional support is huge. Notice as soon as Mitch (our AD) led the charge to invest in the program there were immediate returns.

Reactions: VOLnMiami
Think about a guy like me that didn't become a UT fan until 2006. UT football means relatively little to me compared to basketball.
It's not like the basketball team in all that impressive in the same span (decent enough, but come on).

Lack of institutional support is huge. Notice as soon as Mitch (our AD) led the charge to invest in the program there were immediate returns.
That and hiring a coach that can recruit, but yeah, Mitch has spent a lot of $$$$$ on football

VN Store

Back