Big 12 Commissioner alleges ESPN Conspired with SEC, American to Lure Teams From Conference

Possibly but I don't see how going to 12 teams helps the SEC that much versus Pac12 and B1G. In the current 4 team playoff, SEC is likely to now have 2 teams every year.

Go to 12 teams and all of the Power 4 have at least a guaranteed spot as well as probably a team or two from the G5. It opens up more opportunities for the other leagues. In a way, it is stupid if Pac12 commissioner cancels it because it will hurt his league more than the SEC. Once he gets over his emotion, he should logically think about this.

The idiocy of the B1G and Pac12 is costing them. Ohio State was really pissed about not being able to play last year. Ohio State and Nebraska almost asked for a one-year admittance into the SEC. The Big12 commissioner didn't realize how much they pissed off OU and Texas and forced them out. These other leagues better be careful or they could face defections as well.

I guess my thought would be that with the 12 team playoff format as I understand it, you have the power 5 conference champions, which leaves 7 remaining spots. One is reserved for a G5 team. Then you've got the top four ranked teams remaining. If you've got 4-5 teams from the SEC in the top 10, then the chances of getting 3 teams in are very good.

I certainly see your perspective, though. If you get 2 of 4, then that's just as good or better than 3 of 12. Still, I could see a scenario where the SEC with Oklahoma and Texas could get 4 teams into a 12 team playoff.

Reactions: VolNExile
That was a very interesting perspective, to me. Essentially the PAC is saying that Sankey was supporting the 12 team playoff expansion with the knowledge that he would have two more teams with a potential to get there, while also knowing that he was about to kneecap the BIG 12's chances to get a playoff team.

I can honestly say that their argument is pretty realistic to me.
I get that Sankey knew TX and OU were coming and the Big 12 was toast when he was arguing for playoff expansion but a couple of things:

It's not Sankey's fault he was approached when he was by TX and OU. If they can prove the SEC actually did approach them first, Sankey is screwed but I don't think he's that stupid. That he was approached while playoff expansion was a topic for the conferences APPARENTLY wasn't in his control.

Second, what's to say that even WITHOUT knowing he had TX and OU wanting to join Sankey still supports playoff expansion? And what was he supposed to do...... tell the Big 12 that TX and OU had contacted him? That's crazy.

If this was a setup, if it comes out Sankey and ESPN are neck deep in starting TX and OU coming to the SEC, I've no sympathy for either of them.

B12 does have a point. ESPN had a conflict of interest by having broadcast contracts with two conferences competing for the same teams. If they can prove espn conspired or aided in the departure of OK/TX then they could be held liable for damages. If espn was smart they kept the management of the two conferences completely separate with no contract management employees working both contracts.

B12 will have to prove their case. Maybe it's cheaper to just grap $100 million from OK/TX as departure fees.

I get that Sankey knew TX and OU were coming and the Big 12 was toast when he was arguing for playoff expansion but a couple of things:

It's not Sankey's fault he was approached when he was by TX and OU. If they can prove the SEC actually did approach them first, Sankey is screwed but I don't think he's that stupid. That he was approached while playoff expansion was a topic for the conferences APPARENTLY wasn't in his control.

Second, what's to say that even WITHOUT knowing he had TX and OU wanting to join Sankey still supports playoff expansion? And what was he supposed to do...... tell the Big 12 that TX and OU had contacted him? That's crazy.

If this was a setup, if it comes out Sankey and ESPN are neck deep in starting TX and OU coming to the SEC, I've no sympathy for either of them.

Oh, I fully agree that any claim will be wildly difficult to prove, and it would absolutely require the BIG 12 producing the king of all smoking guns from an evidentiary perspective to win.

It just fascinates me from a legal perspective to think about what type of claim the might be able to make. Proving said claim - as you point out - is far more difficult.

I concur that from Sankey's position, you have to entertain Texas and Oklahoma, because they have been seeking to leave for some time it appears. They either strengthen your conference or someone else, and that seems like the easily rational argument to defeat these potential suits.

Oh, I fully agree that any claim will be wildly difficult to prove, and it would absolutely require the BIG 12 producing the king of all smoking guns from an evidentiary perspective to win.

It just fascinates me from a legal perspective to think about what type of claim the might be able to make. Proving said claim - as you point out - is far more difficult.

I concur that from Sankey's position, you have to entertain Texas and Oklahoma, because they have been seeking to leave for some time it appears. They either strengthen your conference or someone else, and that seems like the easily rational argument to defeat these potential suits.
I'm not an attorney and I've read that the Big 12 bylaws allow even -1- remaining member in the conference to seek damages for the conference. I'm not going to look at bylaws because I'd likely not get the nuances but that's an interesting possibility.

If it's true that any single member left could sue, some wealthy, vindictive, and undesirable leftover (probably named Baylor) might fight this to the death. They're supposedly in debt for a stadium and will really miss the TV money.

It's ugly and sad and likely only the beginning of the herd being thinned as things transition from amateur to semi-pro and consolidate.

ESPN is losing copious amounts of money on the B12 TV deal. Every school except OU and TX drain resources. Having to work Texas Tech vs Kansas type football games are money losers. Those lame matchups produces almost no viewers or ad revenue. The likes of 1-800 Babe and Ginsu are the only advertisers signing on for that pig. When the B12 tried initiate negotiations on their next ad package and nobody called them back they should have known it was over. Bowlsby is an idiot who kept whistling by the graveyard while pumping sunshine. Bye bye B12

Amazing how someone can just let stuff fly out of their mouth without a single shred of evidence.

Not a fan of ESPN by any means, but if I were them, I’d return the favor with a “cease and desist” letter of my own to the Big 12 regarding vocalizing falsehoods and innuendo with no credible evidence.

Supposedly the Big 12 has evidence of all this. Personally, I hope they do. TX and OU having to pay that penalty only stands to help us, not hurt us.

The conference sent a strong message to one of its TV partners amid the looming departures of Texas and Oklahoma
Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby alleges conference media rights partner ESPN conspired to damage the league by luring Texas and Oklahoma to the SEC as detailed in a cease and desist letter sent to the network on Wednesday. Bowlsby also tells CBS Sports that ESPN has actively engaged the American Athletic Conference (AAC) to pursue "3-5" Big 12 members join the league, suggesting it would be rewarded with "future television proceeds".
The letter alleges ESPN "has taken certain actions that are intended to not only harm the Big 12 Conference but to result in financial benefits for ESPN." The network currently shares Big 12 rights with Fox.
Bowlsby told CBS Sports that ESPN's actions are equal to "tortuous interference".
"[There are] two documents that govern our members," Bowlsby told CBS Sports. "One is the bylaws, and the other is the grant of rights. The bylaws go for 99 years; the grant of rights go until 2024-25. ESPN has been behind these moves every step of the way."
He added: "I have every expectation that Oklahoma and Texas will do whatever they can to not meet their [contractual] obligations. That's what they've done so far. ... One of the ways the two schools and ESPN will seek to absolve themselves of the obligation is to destabilize the league and cause an implosion of the other eight members.
"I am absolutely certain ESPN employees have discussed and provided incentives for at least one conference to raid 3-5 members from the Big 12. In doing so, they are prepared to reward them with future television proceeds. If the conference goes away as an entity, Oklahoma and Texas could be relieved from their exit obligations. Those obligations at this time would include the payment of $70M to $80M -- two years full revenue -- per school and leaving their media rights with the Big 12.

Big 12 commissioner alleges ESPN conspired with SEC, American to lure teams from conference

ABC, CBS, FOX Sports, NBC, NPR, etc. are waking up today with big smiles on their faces. ESPN getting an ear full could weaken their position with other conferences IF any of this is true.

Reactions: Franklin Pierce
They conspired to make a better business deal? And?

This guy is grasping. He's about to lose his job in part because of his own incompetence. Nebraska walked. TAM walked. Colorado walked. And they didn't think they were vulnerable?

Reactions: JonGrudensAgent
They should hire the same search firm the Vols use for coaches to find new members for the league.

It would be a better allocation of resources for Bowlsby and the Big Whatever.

Reactions: ShoalCreekVol
Nothing is going to happen. Just like the last expansion lawsuits. A bunch of PR and trying to squeeze extra $
This. I heard a couple of lawyers say that if Bowlsby and B12 had a legit case, they wouldn't let him go out and make accusations and do what he's doing. His pitching a fit is simply a negotiation tactic.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
Bye bye Big12
Bye bye NCAA and your stupid rules
The Universities have finally woken up , NCAA had some serious dumb rules when it came to transferring. They can go govern the group of 5 . Bye bye.

That's probably exactly what happened. Follow the money.
Let's say this is true... So?

If the Big 12 can't offer better arrangement than the AAC with a minimal TV package, that is an indictment on the Big 12 leadership.

Don't hate the player, hate the game...

giphy.gif

I'd be shocked if Baylor isn't behind this letter. They threatened litigation when A&M split.

UM, more than Baylor are involved in this letter. First Off, It is likely true, and secondly, All Big 12 Members know that a Texas Oklahoma departure will be devastating to every remaining team. So, if Tx & Ok do leave; the rest of them want their MONEY as promised in the Bylaws. Can't blame them one bit.

If the Big 12 can't offer better arrangement than the AAC with a minimal TV package, that is an indictment on the Big 12 leadership.

giphy.gif

C'mon Man. If Alabama and Lsu switched leagues, would a lesser $ Package be imminent from Espn for the SEC? You betcha. Would that be an indictment on Skanky? Riddle me that.

Why should E$PN be any different than Google, Facebook, Twitter, etc.? The elites at E$PN think most of the viewing public are part of the "unwashed masses", easily led, and live in "fly-over country". Money is (and has forever been) all that matters. If CFB is destroyed in the process, then so be it. They are the "ends justifies the means" type people.

And some of you criticized people for saying E$PN stole the Hypeman from P Manning. Now do you feel now - seeing a conference destroyed for TV ratings? What's next on their agenda?

giphy.gif
Tortuous interference with contractual relations can yield some pretty big verdicts if it can be proven. The Big XII will probably file suit in Stillwater, OK or somewhere very friendly to their cause.

Reactions: VolunteerHillbilly

VN Store

Back