Big 12 Commissioner alleges ESPN Conspired with SEC, American to Lure Teams From Conference

Memphis finally got some adept leadership who sank some money into the program.
I don't think the Big 12 or AAC will ever catch up to the B1G or the SEC or the ACC...but some money is still out there for the best of the rest.
We are better than the Big 12 minus OU and Texas right now...and rapidly gaining on the PAC.
It's too bad we had some rely crummy athletic directors and school presidents who did nothing to improve our lot in college football sooner.
What really helped was our school getting its own Board of Regents. Huge for us.
And, we are building sustained success with less.
Our first tv contract gave us $2 million a team...the new one just a bit less than $7 million.
We think a combined AAC and Big 12 could still get $15-$20 million to start...assuming no one bolts for another conference.
Then we might have to drop a school or two, East Carolina and Temple are my picks...maybe Tulane as well.
I'll trade you John Adams for Geoff Calkins.... I used to chat a bit with John when I was a student at Pellissippi State from 1990-92. Good guy.

Deal, you can have the snarky f***er.

Reactions: EarthBoundMisfit
OU president David Boren told Dr David Rudd University of Memphis president that we were in pending a vote by the Big 12.
Athletic Director Tom Bowen also met with ACC officials in Atlanta a bit later.
The ACC was prepared to invite us if the Big 12 picked 2 other teams instead.
ESPN stepped in, and muddled up that expansion deal. They paid the Big 12 not to expand. The Big 12 told us that we were going to have to cough up more for the Big 12 to accept us, and Memphis told those bastards to take a flying hike.
That's why you saw that clown and pony show...with the Big 12 inviting teams like Rice that had absolutely no shot at being admitted.

As the Big 12 did nor expand, the ACC didn't expand either. We had Louisville and Georgia Tech? I wanna say in our corner for that.

As far as being a 'mid-major'...you do know who has been repping our state has since 2014? Us
66-26 to 45-41.
Your own columnist John Adams will tell you that UT wanted no part of Memphis then...no part of us this year either.
Rebuilt O line with Big 12, B1G and AAC experience. Will be the best O Line in the conference.
Our O Line quality dipped last year...and we couldn't run the ball well last year, making us one dimensional. Still went 8-3 and won our bowl game...even with our best offensive talent opting out of the season (Kenneth Gainwell, Damonte Coxie)

Another thing...we don't lose to BYU or Georgia State. :cool:

The Big 12 is still an autonomous P5 conference, which makes a merger a possible option.
A 'Big American Athletic Conference' retains NCAA tournament credits, P5 autonomy, and a still sizable tv deal compared to the rest of the G5.
Your record is slightly better because you don’t play anyone. Your conference rivals are Tulane and Temple 😂😂😂.
you are 11-9 against the Sun Belt so I wouldn’t be bragging that you lost to the likes of arkansas St regularly and having losing records vs UAB, uCF, East Carolina, southern miss etc. hell MTSU owns you. You don’t have a winning record vs any Tennessee team not Vandy and of course 1-22 vs your masters in Knoxville.
The ACC or SEC has never wanted you and even the big 12 turned you down three times. Memphis will never be in a power conference. No one wants small commuter fanbases of mediocre ghetto schools with subpar facilities and drivebys every night with no national titles ever

Reactions: NEO
Haha! Just giving you a hard time for posting a UM hype video on VolNation

yeah I'm sorry too. I did not come here to try and argue..I should not have let myself get goaded.
Y'all have a poster named Gordon somewhere on here...one of my old friends from the ESPN ....and memphistigers.org boards.
I was interested in seeing how other folks were looking at the Big 12 implosion.

Your record is slightly better because you don’t play anyone. Your conference rivals are Tulane and Temple 😂😂😂.
you are 11-9 against the Sun Belt so I wouldn’t be bragging that you lost to the likes of arkansas St regularly and having losing records vs UAB, uCF, East Carolina, southern miss etc. hell MTSU owns you. You don’t have a winning record vs any Tennessee team not Vandy and of course 1-22 vs your masters in Knoxville.
The ACC or SEC has never wanted you and even the big 12 turned you down three times. Memphis will never be in a power conference. No one wants small commuter fanbases of mediocre ghetto schools with subpar facilities and drivebys every night with no national titles ever

that was then, this is now. The only team that has had our number since 2017 is UCF. To be fair...they would have beaten UT as well. That school is on a major upswing.
The last several times we have played Arkansas State and MTSU...we kicked their teeth in...even before we started off on our winning tangent.
We were to be voted into the Big 12 conference in 2016 (Cincinnatti was to be the other team)...until ESPN gummed up the works. David Rudd heard that firsthand from OU president David Boren, and Ambassadors I know heard that from David Rudd.
We had a contingency plan...the ACC was going to invite us just in case the Big 12 invited someone else. When the Big 12 did not expand...the ACC decided not to either. Believe it or not...doesn't bother me. I KNOW the truth, and that is what matters.
Finally... I lived in Knoxville for 4 years. I know firsthand what kind of city you have there. Cities as a whole have crime. That's like the pot calling the kettle black there chief. (players robbing gas stations?) Our facilities have been upgraded. Not up to the state of the art facilities at schools like Texas or OU...but for a school our size, they are impressive.
Currently, there are major expansions going on behind the scenes for our university. Something big is coming...told that by no less than someone in our athletic department. We have to be patient to hear the full details.

You know, I have a lot of fond memories of my time from there in Knoxville, made a lot of friends who are UT supporters...but people like you make it difficult to stay civil.
I know what it's like to support a football team that is in the doldrums...it royally sucks. I do not wish any ill will on Tennessee's football team. Our state as a whole is better when UT football is humming.
I'm not going to pile on and try to make you look or feel bad.... I know my school has been historically bad. Recent history should show you that anyone is just one bad hire away from mediocrity.

Last edited:
Get out the popcorn. This lawsuit won't go anywhere but it definitely is causing a lot of drama.

Pac12 Commissioner apparently is pissed as well and wants to quit the 12-team playoff scenario.

I thought they had pretty quit the playoff period...

that was then, this is now. The only team that has had our number since 2017 is UCF. To be fair...they would have beaten UT as well. That school is on a major upswing.
The last several times we have played Arkansas State and MTSU...we kicked their teeth in...even before we started off on our winning tangent.
We were to be voted into the Big 12 conference in 2016...until ESPN gummed up the works. We heard that firsthand from OU president David Boren.
We had a contingency plan...the ACC was going to invite us just in case the Big 12 invited someone else. When the Big 12 did not expand...the ACC decided not to expand either.
Finally... I lived in Knoxville for 4 years. I know firsthand what kind of city you have there. Cities as a whole have crime. That's like the pot calling the kettle black there chief.
As it is...I live with my wife in her hometown in Western Kentucky.
Another difference between our schools Ricky? We beat Georgia State 59-22.
Ok you beat them in a different year so what? You also have a losing record vs nearly every conference. And you are still 1-22 vs your Daddy and the 1 was a fluke bad no call. We own you in football, basketball, you have no winning record vs us in any sport. You have no national titles in any sport. Even your “great” coaches leave for better schools because no one can stand to live in your sh*thole city constantly voted one of the worst in the country for crime and corruption. Tigger high will always be a meaningless midmajor with a small fanbase made up of local trash and community college rejects. Let us know when you finally win something that matters 😂.

Ok you beat them in a different year so what? You also have a losing record vs nearly every conference. And you are still 1-22 vs your Daddy and the 1 was a fluke bad no call. We own you in football, basketball, you have no winning record vs us in any sport. You have no national titles in any sport. Even your “great” coaches leave for better schools because no one can stand to live in your sh*thole city constantly voted one of the worst in the country for crime and corruption. Tigger high will always be a meaningless midmajor with a small fanbase made up of local trash and community college rejects. Let us know when you finally win something that matters 😂.

only because your leadership won't schedule Memphis when they're good. That's nothing to pound your chest about. That's called being a chicken.

only because your leadership won't schedule Memphis when they're good. That's nothing to pound your chest about. That's called being a chicken.
Lol they are never good. Never have been. Never will be. They are homecoming fodder. There is a reason that no real power conference will ever give them an invite. Now gear up for those big matchups with Temple, East Carolina and Tulsa in front of 15k

tried to be civil...welcome to the ignore feature.
Something you should be used to Ricky.

I know the landscape is changing. I know the AAC are behind the B1G , ACC, and SEC.
We are slightly ahead of the Big 12 minus OU and Texas, and about even with the PAC.
Memphis has managed sustained success than some larger schools with a smaller budget...so even a bump from $6.95 million to say $15-$20 million would be big for us and keep us in the game.

i agree with everything here and think your are in par with the PAC 16 and even maybe ahead of the Big 12. I do agree you are an upcoming school.

Reactions: EarthBoundMisfit
The conference sent a strong message to one of its TV partners amid the looming departures of Texas and Oklahoma
Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby alleges conference media rights partner ESPN conspired to damage the league by luring Texas and Oklahoma to the SEC as detailed in a cease and desist letter sent to the network on Wednesday. Bowlsby also tells CBS Sports that ESPN has actively engaged the American Athletic Conference (AAC) to pursue "3-5" Big 12 members join the league, suggesting it would be rewarded with "future television proceeds".
The letter alleges ESPN "has taken certain actions that are intended to not only harm the Big 12 Conference but to result in financial benefits for ESPN." The network currently shares Big 12 rights with Fox.
Bowlsby told CBS Sports that ESPN's actions are equal to "tortuous interference".
"[There are] two documents that govern our members," Bowlsby told CBS Sports. "One is the bylaws, and the other is the grant of rights. The bylaws go for 99 years; the grant of rights go until 2024-25. ESPN has been behind these moves every step of the way."
He added: "I have every expectation that Oklahoma and Texas will do whatever they can to not meet their [contractual] obligations. That's what they've done so far. ... One of the ways the two schools and ESPN will seek to absolve themselves of the obligation is to destabilize the league and cause an implosion of the other eight members.
"I am absolutely certain ESPN employees have discussed and provided incentives for at least one conference to raid 3-5 members from the Big 12. In doing so, they are prepared to reward them with future television proceeds. If the conference goes away as an entity, Oklahoma and Texas could be relieved from their exit obligations. Those obligations at this time would include the payment of $70M to $80M -- two years full revenue -- per school and leaving their media rights with the Big 12.

Big 12 commissioner alleges ESPN conspired with SEC, American to lure teams from conference

first time.gif

Actual footage of ESPN's director of diversity and inclusion upon proofing the letter.
proxy-image

Reactions: Sara Clark

When Clemson and FSU join the SEC, I am guessing Memphis will become part of the ACC which will be just another mid major conference at that point and a basketball conference like the Big East is. I dont think the SEC will be an actual conference by 2030.

OU president David Boren told Dr David Rudd University of Memphis president that we were in pending a vote by the Big 12.
Athletic Director Tom Bowen also met with ACC officials in Atlanta a bit later.
The ACC was prepared to invite us if the Big 12 picked 2 other teams instead.
ESPN stepped in, and muddled up that expansion deal. They paid the Big 12 not to expand. The Big 12 told us that we were going to have to cough up more for the Big 12 to accept us, and Memphis told those bastards to take a flying hike.
That's why you saw that clown and pony show...with the Big 12 inviting teams like Rice that had absolutely no shot at being admitted.

As the Big 12 did nor expand, the ACC didn't expand either. We had Louisville and Georgia Tech? I wanna say in our corner for that.

As far as being a 'mid-major'...you do know who has been repping our state has since 2014? Us
66-26 to 45-41.
Your own columnist John Adams will tell you that UT wanted no part of Memphis then...no part of us this year either.
Rebuilt O line with Big 12, B1G and AAC experience. Will be the best O Line in the conference.
Our O Line quality dipped last year...and we couldn't run the ball well last year, making us one dimensional. Still went 8-3 and won our bowl game...even with our best offensive talent opting out of the season (Kenneth Gainwell, Damonte Coxie)

Another thing...we don't lose to BYU or Georgia State. :cool:

The Big 12 is still an autonomous P5 conference, which makes a merger a possible option.
A 'Big American Athletic Conference' retains NCAA tournament credits, P5 autonomy, and a still sizable tv deal compared to the rest of the G5.
This post really held up considering the Big 12 AGaIN doesn’t want the tiggers 😂😂😂

VN Store

Back