Best/Worst Times as a Kid

Edit: The blond guy in the river raft race poster worked with me at Turtle’s Records & Tapes. He died.

I didn't like your post bc he died. I probably bought an album or two at Turtle's. Usually went to Peaches.

We frequented the Lakewood in Myrtle Beach growing up - good times!

My step-grandfather and grandmother had a "condo" at Lakewood that we went to every summer during the 90s when I was growing up. I loved those vacations. We didn't have a lot of money growing up but because we didn't have to pay for a hotel for the week, my parents would always go all out on vacation and my brother and I got to do pretty much anything we wanted in and around Myrtle.

At Lakewood specifically, I remember the indoor pool, the arcade, the general store, and of course the girls pushing the Lemon Ice carts up and down the beach. Great times!

Best: Me and my very two good friends hitting back to back to back homeruns in a playoff baseball game

Worst: Being in the woods in our neighborhood with two kids that decided it would be smart to light a tree on fire just for a second and then put it out. 30 minutes later and the entire portion of their backyard woods were gone, fire department and police were on the scene.

At Lakewood specifically, I remember the indoor pool, the arcade, the general store, and of course the girls pushing the Lemon Ice carts up and down the beach. Great times!

Poor white trash (haha) did the best that we could and had the most fun! We always stayed at Apache or Arrowhead campgrounds. Pulling that dang Cox camper until Daddy bought the Starcraft pop up.

My step-grandfather and grandmother had a "condo" at Lakewood that we went to every summer during the 90s when I was growing up. I loved those vacations. We didn't have a lot of money growing up but because we didn't have to pay for a hotel for the week, my parents would always go all out on vacation and my brother and I got to do pretty much anything we wanted in and around Myrtle.

We camped there in the 70’s and there wasn’t an indoor pool or condos then, nor lemon ice girls. Took a trip to Myrtle with another couple in the mid 80’s and the lemon ice girls were there. Both our wives had recently had babies and we were down at the surf under the umbrellas n the first day when the lemon ice cart went by the first time. My buddy’s jaw dropped and he about fell down trying to get his money out quick enough while I wisely looked the other way and started talking to the Mrs. Buddy definitely got the cold shoulder for the next couple days! Oh to be young again.

Didn't have the lemon ice girls when I was young either. Sorta like this???

lemonade-stand-at-the-beach-picture-id623291266

Reactions: Aesius

When my son was about 4 we went to Myrtle and he was smitten by the lemonade girls. Must have paid for 20 lemonades, and was never within 50’ of one of those girls

Reactions: Aesius and Juanita
@chuckiepoo
Thought this might be a better place to post than BB forum. Cuz it's a memory.
You live in Houston area? I'll tell you one of my Texas stories.

Flew into DFW (years ago) to visit a dude I barely knew. He was from Long Beach; he had a business trip to FW. Anyway, he took me to dinner and was rude to the servers, griped about the food, and wasn't particularly nice to me. I proceeded to get drunk. Wound up downtown, and I was talking to a couple of guys at the bar. Aussies. They worked as grooms at a training/breeding farm for polo ponies. Told LB dude that I was going to go feed the horses. He threw my suitcase out of his convertible and sped off.

I woke up the next morning, naked, on a ticking covered mattress in a tack room. Aussie came out of the shower. I said: If I wind up pregnant, I will hunt you down and kill you. He said: Wait! I couldn't even get close. Every time I tried, you hit me. I looked at his face. It had been properly pummeled.

He had to work a polo game. I'd never been to one before. Lawd, thank you I brought jeans and boots. First thing I asked, 30 minutes into the drive in his truck (Oak Point maybe) was: Do they sell beer in Texas on a Sunday?
He said: Yeah, but I don't have a cooler with me. I said: That's cool; I'm from Tennessee.

It was fun! I stayed in the background while he worked. Got to meet the owner. Best time: stomping the divets. I was good at that.

Paid extra to change my flight out of DFW. Aussie took me out to eat, near the hotel room I reserved with shuttle to the airport next AM. He said: Let's get Vietnamese! WTF. Little cellophane noodles looked like anemic worms. I almost threw up again.

So, I flew back to Atlanta, That's where I parked my car at a friend's place. Drove to Kingsport. Mom said: That LB dude called us (landline) and wanted to know if you were off meds that you should be taking. I showed her my upper arm where he'd grabbed me. Nuff said.

@chuckiepoo
Thought this might be a better place to post than BB forum. Cuz it's a memory.
You live in Houston area? I'll tell you one of my Texas stories.

Flew into DFW (years ago) to visit a dude I barely knew. He was from Long Beach; he had a business trip to FW. Anyway, he took me to dinner and was rude to the servers, griped about the food, and wasn't particularly nice to me. I proceeded to get drunk. Wound up downtown, and I was talking to a couple of guys at the bar. Aussies. They worked as grooms at a training/breeding farm for polo ponies. Told LB dude that I was going to go feed the horses. He threw my suitcase out of his convertible and sped off.

I woke up the next morning, naked, on a ticking covered mattress in a tack room. Aussie came out of the shower. I said: If I wind up pregnant, I will hunt you down and kill you. He said: Wait! I couldn't even get close. Every time I tried, you hit me. I looked at his face. It had been properly pummeled.

He had to work a polo game. I'd never been to one before. Lawd, thank you I brought jeans and boots. First thing I asked, 30 minutes into the drive in his truck (Oak Point maybe) was: Do they sell beer in Texas on a Sunday?
He said: Yeah, but I don't have a cooler with me. I said: That's cool; I'm from Tennessee.

It was fun! I stayed in the background while he worked. Got to meet the owner. Best time: stomping the divets. I was good at that.

Paid extra to change my flight out of DFW. Aussie took me out to eat, near the hotel room I reserved with shuttle to the airport next AM. He said: Let's get Vietnamese! WTF. Little cellophane noodles looked like anemic worms. I almost threw up again.

So, I flew back to Atlanta, That's where I parked my car at a friend's place. Drove to Kingsport. Mom said: That LB dude called us (landline) and wanted to know if you were off meds that you should be taking. I showed her my upper arm where he'd grabbed me. Nuff said.
Wild as a mink, but sweet as soda pop…
Appreciate your off thread post. The curious will venture but me and WTOB , we got ya covered!

Reactions: Juanita
Best: Cinnamon toothpicks. Drugs for 3rd graders, circa 1966ish.

Worst: Jim Wankle decided to prop his eyelids open with the sticks. Dumbazz. He was literally blinded by the light. They outlawed the sticks at our elementary school after that.

Best: Cinnamon toothpicks. Drugs for 3rd graders, circa 1966ish.

Worst: Jim Wankle decided to prop his eyelids open with the sticks. Dumbazz. He was literally blinded by the light. They outlawed the sticks at our elementary school after that.
This is kinda like the basement. Brings back memories of when a large segment of the Colts stampede blue sbnation got banned and set up a thread at Battle Red Blog to commiserate.

…yes. Cinnamon toothpicks at Robertsville in OR. 8th grade (?) ish…

Imma gonna guess this thread is apolitical? Or is there another thread I should go to post a revelation when I listened to am radio today for the first time in years?

VN Store

Back