Best way to get Euros

Smallvol#1

MarchMatters
Any European travelers: I will be traveling to Rome and my B&B is not set up to take credit cards. Should I get my Euros here through BOA or go to the ATM at Roma Termini and use my debit card to withdraw Euros from my BOA account? I’ll need ~1,000 Euros. Last time I went to UK first and got my Euros there. This is the first time I’ve gone without a stop in the UK first. Thanks.

Any European travelers: I will be traveling to Rome and my B&B is not set up to take credit cards. Should I get my Euros here through BOA or go to the ATM at Roma Termini and use my debit card to withdraw Euros from my BOA account? I’ll need ~1,000 Euros. Last time I went to UK first and got my Euros there. This is the first time I’ve gone without a stop in the UK first. Thanks.

I always get money in a foreign country from an ATM machine, it's usually cheaper than getting it in the states ahead of time. Most of the places I go always take credit cards anyway, just like the US. Someone that wants 1000 Euros in cash would set my radar off personally, I'd look for some place more legit.

Typically if you bank at a credit union, they will order it for you relatively cheap. Banks on the other hand, will probably charge you quite a bit more.

Definitely ATM. If you have to you can go to the central post office and they’ll exchange USD and I don’t recall having to pay a fee and if it did it was cheap, but you normally have to wait in line and it’s not super convenient

100% use an ATM in the airport once you get there. You don't have to keep up with cash while you travel and Banks will hit you with fees. Be sure to let your bank know beforehand and check to see what your daily withdrawal limit is.

Chances are you'll get hit with a fee using an American debit card at an ATM in a foreign land...... sure works that way in Canada.

off subject a bit but a couple of other tips. If you take a credit card be sure to tell the cc company otherwise they might deny the charges and cut the card off. . Also check your phone plan. No sure about Italy but I know in Germany, open wifi is far between. Usually you have to buy something to get the password. Verizon has a plan for $10/day you can use your phone minutes and data from your home plan. If you dont use the phone or data in a day they wont charge the $10. Chances are the other carriers have a similar plan. Be careful of pickpockets in Rome.

100% use an ATM in the airport once you get there. You don't have to keep up with cash while you travel and Banks will hit you with fees. Be sure to let your bank know beforehand and check to see what your daily withdrawal limit is.
Yes, this is it. Research FCO ATMs. They are typically easy to find but a few have fees. Many credit cards have no transaction fees and exchange rates much better than you will get at your bank/cu.
Might be worth getting a Cap one CC With no fees. I don't know about BA.
And as previous poster said let your bank know. Some believe their computers will recognize that it is you, but you don't want to be turned down for cash or purchases.
Rome and most of Italy is a wonderful place to visit. Pizza!!!! All of Italy.

Oh-oh-oh.... you need to go to Milan and just eat Spaghetti Bolognese all day, every day. You can thank me later.

Reactions: rs16
I always get money in a foreign country from an ATM machine, it's usually cheaper than getting it in the states ahead of time. Most of the places I go always take credit cards anyway, just like the US. Someone that wants 1000 Euros in cash would set my radar off personally, I'd look for some place more legit.
Thanks. I’ve stayed here before. Small B&B in Vatican City; no worries as to them wanting cash; they are just small and can’t do credit card; are a young couple. Will have a private driver meet us at airport so we will be good. I worry more about hitting the ATM for €1000 where people might be watching than carrying it. I could get 300€ and pay in increments, I guess. Course last time, one account got shut down (bank’s error, but that didn’t help me while gone!), one card tore up, and another card got stolen (I told TO his wallet was not in a good place for Paris, but MEN😂🥰!). Good thing I had 5 cards and a good friend in Kent.

Typically if you bank at a credit union, they will order it for you relatively cheap. Banks on the other hand, will probably charge you quite a bit more.
You are right on bank! Can’t get it from a credit union anymore, and I belong to three of them! Don’t know why, could still get £ & € in 2013, could not in 2015, and can’t now. I called them all.

Thanks, good advice. Years ago I did not check as to daily amount, worked out, but a pain! Last time I told the bank and they only did on one, got in UK used the other one time and they shut it down. Of course that’s the one I had most of the money in. They were very apologetic when I got home🤭🤭😂😂.

off subject a bit but a couple of other tips. If you take a credit card be sure to tell the cc company otherwise they might deny the charges and cut the card off. . Also check your phone plan. No sure about Italy but I know in Germany, open wifi is far between. Usually you have to buy something to get the password. Verizon has a plan for $10/day you can use your phone minutes and data from your home plan. If you dont use the phone or data in a day they wont charge the $10. Chances are the other carriers have a similar plan. Be careful of pickpockets in Rome.
Oh....the stories I could tell as to phones. And a phone purchased in the UK can not have minutes added on the continent....but the Rome phone stores will sell you a new card for minutes without telling you that! Live and learn. We have new phones and a different carrier for this trip.

We did OK in Rome; I carry the big stuff. And TO had already had an up close and personal in Paris, so when we got to Rome he wasn’t carrying anything!
‘Course what little he had been carrying was gone😂😂😂😂.

Yes, this is it. Research FCO ATMs. They are typically easy to find but a few have fees. Many credit cards have no transaction fees and exchange rates much better than you will get at your bank/cu.
Might be worth getting a Cap one CC With no fees. I don't know about BA.
And as previous poster said let your bank know. Some believe their computers will recognize that it is you, but you don't want to be turned down for cash or purchases.
Rome and most of Italy is a wonderful place to visit. Pizza!!!! All of Italy.
Have two Cap 1 and a Cap 1 credit card; always worked well. I’m betting a little disillusioned with BOA as I dig into it more. They say no fees, but their exchange rate is costing ~.08 on a £ and ~.07 on a €. We are staying in Rome but taking a tour down the Amalfi coast. Went a little ways down last time but plan to go farther this trip. Really love Italy.

Have two Cap 1 and a Cap 1 credit card; always worked well. I’m betting a little disillusioned with BOA as I dig into it more. They say no fees, but their exchange rate is costing ~.08 on a £ and ~.07 on a €. We are staying in Rome but taking a tour down the Amalfi coast. Went a little ways down last time but plan to go farther this trip. Really love Italy.
Amalfi coast, beautiful.
I use a travel pouch to carry money, cards. Either under shirt or pants. Sounds like y'all have learned . Leave passport in the safe and carry a copy of it the if you are concerned.
They give doctorate degrees in pickpocketing in Rome. Bacelona is similar.
Have you seen the Sistine chaple? Still one of my most memorable.

Reactions: Smallvol#1
Yeah definitely call ahead. I forgot the last time we went to Mexico. Had a taxi to the hotel, go to ATM to get money and card is declined. Of course that’s when I remember. Told the guy I had no cash, he says you got a watch? Finally was able to get ahold of the hotel and have them add it to our bill. Great way to start off.

I think we used ATMs in Rome and Sorrento with no problems. Naples was about the shiftiest place I’ve ever been, the train stop there is an ideal place to get mugged.

Reactions: Smallvol#1
Amalfi coast, beautiful.
I use a travel pouch to carry money, cards. Either under shirt or pants. Sounds like y'all have learned . Leave passport in the safe and carry a copy of it the if you are concerned.
They give doctorate degrees in pickpocketing in Rome. Bacelona is similar.
Have you seen the Sistine chaple? Still one of my most memorable.
Yes as to Sistine Chapel, got in early before crowds and plan to do the same thing this visit. Went by second time on our way out and it was so crowded people were breathing in shifts! I keep everything inside like you said, pinned etc., keep cards in a metal box type thing, something about thieves can’t scan them. Still vote for Paris as the worst ever, and I’ve been to several! Never been to Barcelona, would like to go.

SmallVol, when will you be there? First week in March for us.
Not until fall, including a river cruise while there, then crashing in UK before heading home. Works out for my nephews, they hunt on the land and use our football tickets. Believe it or not, they don’t trash the house either. Military training I guess😃.

Where are you going? We’ve always kept March open for the WNCAAT, but this year looks like we’ll be home. We went late March/early April in 2015; Easter Sunday in Rome. It was nice, not what we had planned, but daughter got pregnant and was due in May.

Last edited:
Reactions: FallCreekVols
Just three days Paris and three days Rome, kinda short. Just hitting the high points. Hotels in both cities are near big train stations, hope that makes it easier to get around for first-timers. This is a graduation present for our niece in Peru, who is flying over from there to meet up with us.

Just three days Paris and three days Rome, kinda short. Just hitting the high points. Hotels in both cities are near big train stations, hope that makes it easier to get around for first-timers. This is a graduation present for our niece in Peru, who is flying over from there to meet up with us.

Subway in Paris is the worst. Everyone, including our host, warned us, and TO still got robbed. Like @Go aeiou said, best place is inside clothes; I even pin it, both inside and outside pins. TO had his wallet in an outside pocket and pinned. Didn’t do a bit of good. Fortunately they only got a few Euros, his drivers license, and his Am Ex card. I had the Am Ex card stopped by the time we got to the police station. Not that the police care, but I wanted the report, just in case. FYI for anyone, have your driver license number written down and put up. Tennessee has a website you can go on, enter the number, and they will email you a license. It does have to be printed out. Our host printed it for us and we used it with no problems to rent a car in UK. I was amazed that it worked, but it did.

Yeah, same concerns in South America regarding theft, etc. I use a fabric wallet made by Eagle Creek that attaches and hangs inside your pants near your crotch.

How well does Uber work in Paris and Rome?

We haven't been to Paris yet, likely later this year we will be going. We went to Rome two years ago. Took the train from the airport to the main area of Rome. That's all the train is really good for, to get to and from the airport and then travel to different cities in Italy. The plan was to then ride the city bus to the hotel. It was dark when we got there and it was very difficult to navigate which bus to get on and then when to get off. It's not like they announce the next stop or even suggest the area you are at. You just have to know yourself what each stop is, what is the next stop, etc. We ended up turning on our data on our phone for the evening so we could follow google maps as to where we were to know where to get off that was somewhat near the hotel and walk the rest. The next day, we just walked all over Rome instead of using bus/taxi/etc. services. It's a very walkable city if you have no issues walking.

Are you taking the high speed train from Paris to Rome? It is an experience if you have not been on a 200 mph train before. Otoh, you can fly as cheap and it's only a 2 hour flight.. 11 hours by train.
Eagle Creek is a good and simple one.
Tom's guide to Paris is a good source of Information. If you don't already know always say bonjour to everyone you come into contact with, especially when you enter a shop, restaurant, etc. Learn a few words/phrases in French. Once they see you make an effort they will speak English if they can or try to help you. Lol, it's toi let' .
You are going to two of the greatest cities in the world. Enjoy your trip.

Yeah, same concerns in South America regarding theft, etc. I use a fabric wallet made by Eagle Creek that attaches and hangs inside your pants near your crotch.

How well does Uber work in Paris and Rome?
Not sure. In Rome we walked or hired a private driver. Since we were staying in Vatican City we could pretty much walk everywhere we wanted. Used the driver to and from airport and train station. Took the high speed train to Naples and then toured down the Amalfi Coast. In Paris we walked from the train station to our B&B then bought subway tickets, but we walked a lot there too. Subway is easy to use but is inundated with thieves; like I said, we were warned, tried to be careful, and got robbed anyway.

VN Store

Back