Best VOL team of all-time

1985 - Sugar Vols - enough said (...if you've never seen Jeff Powell's run against Mia....it's a thing of complete beauty as D Dickey checked into it at the line; Powell was a x-fer track star at Willliam and Mary...I think)
1989 - 11-1, "Cobb-Webb" (RBs), Pickens, A Morgan, Harper (WRs), Carter (DB), TVA OL
1990 - OL was made up of a "wish-list", most of the cast of characters from 1989, 3rd string RB was #1 rusher in SEC, 3 first round draft picks - 2 from the OL
1997 - Manning, Big Al, J Lewis - so many talented players
1998 - NC - probably the best "team"
2001 - talent everywhere; opportunities lost ("LSU"), individual over team

So I would probably say the 1989 team. Alabama won that game with a blocked field-goal that probably went 40 yards the other direction. Then they kicked a FG as time expired to win 9-6. I was at the game in Knoxville.

Last edited:
1985 - Sugar Vols - enough said (...if you've never seen Jeff Powell's run against Mia....it's a thing of complete beauty as D Dickey checked into it at the line; Powell was a x-fer track star at Willliam and Mary...I think)
1989 - 11-1, "Cobb-Webb" (RBs), Pickens, A Morgan, Harper (WRs), Carter (DB), TVA OL
1990 - OL was made up of a "wish-list", most of the cast of characters from 1989, 3rd string RB was #1 rusher in SEC, 3 first round draft picks - 2 from the OL

So I would probably say the 1989 team. Alabama won that game with a blocked field-goal that probably went 40 yards the other direction. Then they kicked a FG as time expired to win 9-6. I was at the game in Knoxville.
that game sucked. i remember there being about 6 minutes to go in the game and thinking "we don't have enough time left to win this". that one hurt.

What's the point of debating "best VOL team of all-time" if you can't compare them head to head?

that's never stopped us before, and doubt if it ever will...especially in the off season...:)

PS. gotta go with '98 NC team...dream season...:)

GO VOLS!

You could make the argument that the 90, 91, 95, and 97 teams were more talented but the 98 team would have beat them all on the field because they simply refused to lose. The 98 team was simply mentally and physically tougher than the other teams.

I really dont see how anyone can say the 1998 team. Were they good? Yes. But they werent that good. I think the 85, 89, 96, 97 and 2001 teams were better.

That was the 1990 game. The '89 game Bama won rather easily as it was the 1st game after Cobb was kicked off.

This is a great old guy thread. There are many candidates. Obviously 39 was before my time but allowing no regular season points is the stuff legends are made of. The season of my coming out as a vol fan was 1970. An Auburn lose away from undefeated, a record set for interceptions (36), Jackie Walker was the finest lb to play the position.

As for others, 85 was the most inspirational. As for the most loaded teams, 90, 93, 95, 99 and 2001 were as talented as you could find but 93 & 99 underachieved.

Which brings me to 98. It had a sprinkling of all the elements, talent,fortune and inspiration that combined foe a refuse to lose attitude.

That was the 1990 game. The '89 game Bama won rather easily as it was the 1st game after Cobb was kicked off.

Oops..you're right. I was at the 90 game and the 89 game in Alabama. Well, it was 27 years ago.....:)

The team was distracted with all of the Cobb off-the-field stuff.

2001 team would have eclipse the college football mecca if not for one game.

Was at the SECCG....couldn't believe it. Two first-round draft picks at DT.....talent everywhere...knocked LSU's starting QB and RB out of the game...and still lost.

Majors teams just had problems beating Bama. Was so certain Shular and Co. with Fulmer was going to do it in '93! Boy, was I ticked off that game!

Reactions: 1 person
You know absolutely no one is buying all this "I've been a fan forever, man, wow I remember this game (I just googled), do you remember it too?" :)

Reactions: 1 person
You know absolutely no one is buying all this "I've been a fan forever, man, wow I remember this game (I just googled), do you remember it too?" :)

82, I grew up in a Tennessee family. But, I have to say, the '86 Sugar Bowl is when my blood turned Orange.

I remember where I was watching that game. I watched it on a small black and white T.V.

The first game I knew I was a fan I was listening to the Vandy game when the Alan Cockrel led team was beaten. That was waaay back before games were common place on T.V.

2001 team would have eclipse the college football mecca if not for one game.

I truly loved the 01 team but Miami if they played to the potential of all they had would have killed us. A lot of teams would have been different if key guys didn't get injured or in trouble. If Florida State could've kept every guy from middle 80s to late 90s from being hurt or going to jail they'd have as many trophies as bama

I truly loved the 01 team but Miami if they played to the potential of all they had would have killed us. A lot of teams would have been different if key guys didn't get injured or in trouble. If Florida State could've kept every guy from middle 80s to late 90s from being hurt or going to jail they'd have as many trophies as bama

I think the homecoming game the next year proves your point.

I knew after that game in '02 we were out of the elite level and headed further down.

How does anyone make a list like this and leave off a Neyland coached NC team??? SMDH

This is a great old guy thread. There are many candidates. Obviously 39 was before my time but allowing no regular season points is the stuff legends are made of. The season of my coming out as a vol fan was 1970. An Auburn lose away from undefeated, a record set for interceptions (36), Jackie Walker was the finest lb to play the position.

As for others, 85 was the most inspirational. As for the most loaded teams, 90, 93, 95, 99 and 2001 were as talented as you could find but 93 & 99 underachieved.

Which brings me to 98. It had a sprinkling of all the elements, talent,fortune and inspiration that combined foe a refuse to lose attitude.

That '93 team had so much hype going into the season but now is mainly forgotten because they lost/tied the two games that mattered that year and did not show up for the bowl game.

That '93 team had so much hype going into the season but now is mainly forgotten because they lost/tied the two games that mattered that year and did not show up for the bowl game.

They were hyped up for that bowl game as well. I remember it like yesterday! We were up a score or two then the NFL came calling and that was it.

They were hyped up for that bowl game as well. I remember it like yesterday! We were up a score or two then the NFL came calling and that was it.

:lolabove::lolabove::lolabove::lolabove:

Sums it up perfectly.

VN Store

Back