Best Decade of NFL Football? (Poll)

What is the best decade of the SB era?

• Total voters
It's funny how crazy everybody thought Jerry Glanville was in the late 80s and early 90s with the Run and Shoot. Now, the entire NFL runs a version of it.

I wonder if he saw it as the future or just thought about it in terms of doing something different to gain an edge. The reason Lavell Edwards and Dewey originated the WC offense was necessity. Lavell told Warren "We can't get the running backs, so what can you do with 4 and 5 WR's?" and thus it was born.

Either 2000’s/2010’s. I voted for 2010’s. I can’t imagine thinking the 70’s has good football. The play is so slow, it’s so archaic. It’s completely unimaginative. The kickers were terrible. I watched a couple 70’s Super Bowls last week and it was so boring.

Reactions: n_huffhines
2000’s for me. A blend of styles and some high end QB play. Plus, NE notwithstanding, the end of the dynasty eras and more parity.

I voted 2000s for the reasons Huff stated. The game was modern and featured offenses/tactics that are still around today, but didn't have overly protected QBs and WRs. The targeting rules have totally changed how safeties must play their position, and you more or less cannot touch WRs. The flags for DPI, illegal contact, defensive holding, etc. come out so easily now. Plus it seems like all the WRs have a 5-inch height advantage over the DBs plus can run like the wind. There are a lot of tall WRs, but not enough tall DBs like Richard Sherman.

Football is basketball on grass in a lot of ways now, especially in the red zone.

Reactions: USAFgolferVol
my quote exactly....."Watch the "tales" and tell me that it wasn't more physical. Head slaps, shots to the head, late hits, close lines, etc "

"i like it better" is never stated.
Sure it was more physical yet far less lethal because the players weren't as big, strong or fast

Today's players are playing flag football compared to what they did prior to the 90's
I don't disagree yet it's still a bit of an exaggeration. Because the players are much bigger and stronger today, there would be far more players with career ending injuries were there not rule changes. Especially with head injuries

I don't disagree yet it's still a bit of an exaggeration. Because the players are much bigger and stronger today, there would be far more players with career ending injuries were there not rule changes. Especially with head injuries
Again...... I never one time have said that the rule changes for safety reasons were wrong or bad for the game. I said that it was more physically demanding and tougher in the past.

I remember growing up watching NFL films with the 70s Raiders, Steelers, Cowboys etc. so it romanticized that era for me, even though I wasn’t old enough to be there.

I would say the late 80’s/early 90s, if we could split decades, was the best of my lifetime.
You had Elway, Montana, Marino, Aikman, Moon, Kelly, etc. for quarterbacks. The greatest generation of quarterbacks the game has ever seen.

You had the 49ers, Cowboys, Oilers, Bills, Broncos, Dolphins, Giants, Redskins, all having great teams during that period.

Teams could still play defense and you had your shootout games of course but you also had knock down defensive battles. There was contrast.

You had great running backs. Today’s game, the running back has been marginalized into a pass receiver who sometimes runs the ball.

Again...... I never one time have said that the rule changes for safety reasons were wrong or bad for the game. I said that it was more physically demanding and tougher in the past.
Players train hard almost year-round now so I call BS on the "more physically demanding" claim. Silly assertion. Tougher? Maybe

In the past, players very rarely trained until right before training camp.

Players train hard almost year-round now so I call BS on the "more physically demanding" claim. Silly assertion. Tougher? Maybe

I still prefer old style pro football than where the NFL is going where it's all offense and defense is an after thought. The NFL where it's going will be as soft as Arena Ball or the CFL in the future.

I still prefer old style pro football than where the NFL is going where it's all offense and defense is an after thought. The NFL where it's going will be as soft as Arena Ball or the CFL in the future.
I definitely prefer the 70s and 80s, but the players are bigger, stronger and faster now. Eddie Brown couldn't make a career as a punt returner in today's game

I definitely prefer the 70s and 80s, but the players are bigger, stronger and faster now. Eddie Brown couldn't make a career as a punt returner in today's game
I find myself watching less and less of the NFL and just keeping up with stats,scores and standings online on the ESPN or CBS Sports website.

Reactions: USAFgolferVol

tenor.gif

Reactions: Border Vol
Either 2000’s/2010’s. I voted for 2010’s. I can’t imagine thinking the 70’s has good football. The play is so slow, it’s so archaic. It’s completely unimaginative. The kickers were terrible. I watched a couple 70’s Super Bowls last week and it was so boring.
Every sport probably looks that way 40-50 years ago. It's crazy though how much offensive innovation there was in the 1980s. It was like overnight everybody went from 21 and 22 personnel on every play to West Coast offense, Run and Shoot, H-backs, motions etc. I'm sure it was just because I was just paying attention for the first time, but it felt like everybody started throwing it around and got majorly multiple on offense. At the time, a QB in the shotgun still felt exotic lol.

Last edited:
Every sport probably looks that way 40-50 years ago. It's crazy though how much offensive innovation there was in the 1980s. It was like overnight everybody went from 21 and 22 personnel on every play to West Coast offense, Run and Shoot, H-backs, motions etc. I'm sure it was just because I was just paying attention for the first time, but it felt like everybody started throwing it around and got majorly multiple on offense. At the time, a QB in the shotgun still felt exotic lol.

Hell, even still it’s been crazy the last 20 years how much has changed. I watched some nfl throwback (great YouTube channel btw) videos and the amount of people still under center on 3rd and long blows my mind. Hell that Donovan McNabb 4th and 26 pass to Freddie Mitchell against Green Bay in like 2003 had him under center. On 4th and 26!!!

First of all the Super Bowl existed before the 70’s, for that matter, we had NFL champions way before they came up with the stupid name “The Super Bowl”. So from what I’ve heard and what most historians will tell you is that football was at its best in the 50’s, specifically the years, 1952, 1953 and 1957.

Reactions: zjcvols
First of all the Super Bowl existed before the 70’s, for that matter, we had NFL champions way before they came up with the stupid name “The Super Bowl”. So from what I’ve heard and what most historians will tell you is that football was at its best in the 50’s, specifically the years, 1952, 1953 and 1957.

He’s 100% right!

Reactions: MAD

The 60's were half a decade in the SB era, so I ruled it out of the poll.

"Most historians"?

It's hard to believe the best decade for the NFL was a decade where it ranked behind baseball, boxing, and CFB in terms of popularity.

VN Store

Back