Best D-Line in the Country

Coach Banks said that we might have one of the best D-line in the country and there are some in the media that might agree with him.

Coach Banks has a history of focusing on building a strong Dline and once he does, he's won conference championships.

His first DC job, he was a part of 2 MAC Championships.

Next job at Cincinnati, he took over the youngest defense in college football and in one year, turned it into the #21 most dominate defenses in college football. (See articles below)

At Cincinnati, in Banks second season, the defense was #1 in tfl, #2 in sacks, #6 in rush defense, #21 in scoring and #42 in total defense. (Stats look familiar....almost exactly like ours at Tennessee). Cincinnati won Big East Conference Championship. Banks was nominated for Broyles and was voted Rivals.com Big East Coordinator of the Year.

When Banks was at Illinois, the Vanderbilt of Big Ten, they were terrible on defense until they changed head coaches, who was a defensive coach, and though they didn't win, the defense improved dramatically. The defense in Banks last year, was #12 in 3rd down, from #88 previous year, #16 in 1st down, from #101, #16 tfl from #42, #16 passing yards allowed, #21 in pass efficiency D from #95 and #30 in total d from #109 previously.

Coach Gardner wasn't ready to agree with Coach Banks yet, but I think Coach Banks, as a DC that has a system that has worked in the past, may have a high level view of what pieces need to be in place and maybe Coach Banks sees it now.

Coach Heupel has praised the DLine alot.

I hope that this post ages well.......lol......but I'm gonna say........we might have the best DLine in the country.
the word "conference" is doing a whole lot of work in this post

the word "conference" is doing a whole lot of work in this post

When Coach Banks took the job here, he said he left a great program to come here because he's won several Conferences Championships as a DC and was ready to win a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP.

Last I checked, there's not person on this staff that has won more Conference Championships as a playcalling coordinator than Coach Banks. He's won 3, plus 1 at Penn State as Co-DC.

There's only 1 team that wins the National Championship each year and there's only about 10-12 teams that can win conference championships (maybe more now with split divisions), so it's not easy to win either. When was the last time Tennessee won the SEC Championship? Or even earned a spot at SEC Championship?

But stay negative man.

GBO

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
We have 4 very good DTs

At least.

OP is spot on. Garner is the best Dline coach in college football. Thats why he makes Coordinator $$$. We are blessed to have him on staff and should do whatever is needed to keep him IMO.

We may very well, and probably do have the best Dline in the country this season. Monsters across the line...and deep enough to always have fresh guys on the field playing at a dominant level. GO VOLS

Great depth that’s for sure. Guys can go 100% every play & take a rest when needed.

I agree, but the question was whether or not we have the best in the country. It’s hard to have an ELITE DL without a dominant DT.
I would say we won a national championship without a "dominant DT." Billy Ratliff flashed at times despite injuries, Darwin Walker was damn strong, and Jeff Coleman and Ron Green quietly did their jobs. Sean Ellis and Corey Terry were more DEs, as I recall. These were all pretty good ball players that we shuffled around to get the job done, but I don't see a dominant DT there.

To be fair, I will concede that I am sorta addressing a different question from the original, "best DL in the nation?" vs. a good enough DL to have a very successful season.

Last edited:
I agree, but the question was whether or not we have the best in the country. It’s hard to have an ELITE DL without a dominant DT.
Omari and Omarr are both very very good. The depth we have across the whole DL is crazy. Bailey, West, Hobbs, Josephs, Herring, Bradley, Simmons, Eason, along with the 2 I mentioned. The DL is the least of my concerns.

Illinois is not the Vanderbilt of the Big Ten. That's actually a pretty absurd comparison.
They kinda are. Along with Indiana, Rutgers, sometimes Maryland, and often Northwestern.

The B10 also has a few Kentucky-equivalents: Minnesota, usually Purdue and--sadly, for those who remember their glory days--Nebraska.

They also have their own Mizzou: Iowa.

Meanwhile, Michigan State is like an Auburn doppelganger, complete with in-state Older Brother envy issues.

This is where the SEC is so much stronger than the B10: in the middle. Other than Wisconsin, they don't have an A&M, or a Florida, or an LSU, or even an Ole Miss. A decent middle-of-the-pack. They're just pretty rotten from about #5 spot in their roster, on down.

That'll change in a few months when they add the PAC schools. Then they'll be rotten from the #7 spot on down.

Heh.

Go Vols!

Last edited:
Let's Boo this guy, and confound the heck out of our opponents. Each time he makes a good play-BOOOOOOO! Course, let him know why we're doing this. But man, I can just imagine our opponents presuming we're on their side when we do this.

VN Store

Back