Best Athlete to ever play at UT

I'm going to go with someone I've seen in my lifetime. Pro football and Super Bowl champion, world class sprinter and Olympic Bobsledder. It's Willie Gault.
another great one. I saw him at a golf tournament a few months ago and almost 40 years later he still looks like he could step onto a football field.

Reactions: TnScooby
if it's present day athletes, there's no contest that Christian Coleman and Justin Gatlin are at the top, ranked 1/2 in the world in track 100 m currently. That has to put them near the top of all time greats at Tennessee athletically.
(edit: for those that don't know, Justin Gatlin is incredibly 38 years old in this sport, putting him about 10 years older than the average competitor; #1 Coleman is 24). Even just competing at that age (think Peyton Manning) is incredible, but being the best of all the athletes at that age is almost unbelievable.

since this is in the football forum, you may not have meant to include a track star. I dont know who the greatest football athlete to ever play was, but i am looking forward to the debate here

Willie Gault holds the World Records in 100m for 45 and over (10.72), 50 and over (10.88) and 55 and over (11.30). He'll surely grab 60 and over when he turns 60 in September.

He also holds World Records in 200m for 45 and over, 50 and over and 55 and over. He'll get 60 too.

Gatlin holds the World Record for 35 and over.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_world_records_in_masters_athletics#100_metres

Willie Gault, Dale Carter, Cordarelle Patterson and Alvin Kamara for football. Kamara was featured on ESPN prior to the draft showcasing his quick burst, power and leaping ability. It was fantastic to learn the science of his athleticism.

Bernard King, Yves Pons and Marcus Haislip for basketball.

Todd Helton and Chris Burke for baseball.

Justin Gatlin and Christian Coleman for track.

Honorable mention for track/football Leonard Scott.

Also Eric Berry, Leonard Little and Doug Atkins were great athletes that deserve mentioning.

The guy was a stud athlete beyond any doubt.
I still cannot figure out why Shuler didn't perform better in the NFL as a QB....
Any ideas?? What actually happened in Washington?
And I bet he'd find a place to blossom as a starter for sure in today's NFL.
IMHO, too much, too soon.

When you are drafted that high you are expected to be ready to play on arrival. He wasn't. Heath had to put a lot of extra work in academics and learning the playbook. No one outworked him... but the extra effort was necessary. He needed more time to learn the pro game. IMHO, he made a mistake by entering the draft as a Jr. He needed more time to develop mentally.

Then his agent gave him awful advice and he held out for a better contract. Some guys in the locker room including a very overrated Desmond Howard didn't receive him very well for unknown reasons. It just never clicked in Washington. Some of that related to Norv Turner's general performance and relationship with the team.

He began to turn things around a little in New Orleans but essentially destroyed his heel by trying to play through an injury. Given more time and better health I think he would have come around. We'll never really know.

Accomplishments or ability?

IMHO Top 5 ability-wise (no concrete order):
Carl Pickens
Dale Carter
Ron Widby
Willie Gault
Justin Gatlin

Depends on how you define "athlete". If you're talking about someone who could do it all, Widby is the man. If you're talking about speed and agility, probably Cordelle Patterson.

Reactions: LittleVol
Depends on how you define "athlete". If you're talking about someone who could do it all, Widby is the man. If you're talking about speed and agility, probably Cordelle Patterson.
Terry McDaniel or Dale Carter if it's speed agility and strength IMO.

Do it all..........Widby or Doug Atkins

Reactions: macrovol
For shear "freakiness" whip the ass of everyone he ever lined up against, there is only one:

MR. Doug Adkins

End thread.
Except for Bill Anderson. Anyone ever hear Bill Anderson tell the story of his tryouts with the Redskins and how he and Doug Atkins conspired to make Bill Anderson look like the only man who could block Doug Atkins?

if it's present day athletes, there's no contest that Christian Coleman and Justin Gatlin are at the top, ranked 1/2 in the world in track 100 m currently. That has to put them near the top of all time greats at Tennessee athletically.
(edit: for those that don't know, Justin Gatlin is incredibly 38 years old in this sport, putting him about 10 years older than the average competitor; #1 Coleman is 24). Even just competing at that age (think Peyton Manning) is incredible, but being the best of all the athletes at that age is almost unbelievable.

since this is in the football forum, you may not have meant to include a track star. I dont know who the greatest football athlete to ever play was, but i am looking forward to the debate here

These guys are "one pony shows (maybe two)". The Best" to me means able to preform well to good in any sports arena. WIDBY

Reactions: esarmstrong

VN Store

Back