Best Athlete to ever play at UT

OrangeBeachVol

I admit I stole this question from a fan on RockyTopInsider mailbag, so they get credit but in this slow time thought it would be a good debate question here. One of their writers suggested Reggie White, Bernard Kind, Candice Parker, Willie Gault. The other just flat out picked Christian Coleman, whom I admit to not knowing who that is.

My pick is Condrege Holloway.

We know what a great FB player he was, but he also could have been a first round pick for a pro baseball contract and I have a friend who played HS basketball against him in Huntsville and he said he avged 30+ points a game and was practically unstoppable. Usually didn't even play the full game as a lot were blowouts.

if it's present day athletes, there's no contest that Christian Coleman and Justin Gatlin are at the top, ranked 1/2 in the world in track 100 m currently. That has to put them near the top of all time greats at Tennessee athletically.
(edit: for those that don't know, Justin Gatlin is incredibly 38 years old in this sport, putting him about 10 years older than the average competitor; #1 Coleman is 24). Even just competing at that age (think Peyton Manning) is incredible, but being the best of all the athletes at that age is almost unbelievable.

since this is in the football forum, you may not have meant to include a track star. I dont know who the greatest football athlete to ever play was, but i am looking forward to the debate here

Last edited:
Any sport? Bernard King? football.... hmmmm pretty touch on that one Ron Widby would probably be it. I know this is a stretch, but Kelly Washington was an athletic freak, I know not close to the best ever, but I attended school at UT while he was there, and watched him at some of the practices..... that guy was an insane athlete.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
I admit I stole this question from a fan on RockyTopInsider mailbag, so they get credit but in this slow time thought it would be a good debate question here. One of their writers suggested Reggie White, Bernard Kind, Candice Parker, Willie Gault. The other just flat out picked Christian Coleman, whom I admit to not knowing who that is.

My pick is Condrege Holloway.

We know what a great FB player he was, but he also could have been a first round pick for a pro baseball contract and I have a friend who played HS basketball against him in Huntsville and he said he avged 30+ points a game and was practically unstoppable. Usually didn't even play the full game as a lot were blowouts.

Willie Gault
Johnny Majors
Richmond Flowers
Carl Pickens

Reactions: volinbham
Fulmer once said it was Pickens and he’s seen a lot. But I think it depends on all around athlete (multiple sports) or physical ability. Best all around athlete was probably Whiby, pro football, all Sec basketball & baseball

Depends on sport and position. I had someone with a pretty good long term perspective on UT sports tell me that Heath Shuler was the most athletic QB to ever play at UT. He was born out of season. He would have been incredible running the spread option O... 6'3" 225 with a legit 4.5 forty.

Since everyone is mentioning track athletes, don't forget Sam Graddy. He had a successful NFL career after college and was also a gold medal winning Olympian in track.

Reactions: tennesseeduke
Depends on sport and position. I had someone with a pretty good long term perspective on UT sports tell me that Heath Shuler was the most athletic QB to ever play at UT. He was born out of season. He would have been incredible running the spread option O... 6'3" 225 with a legit 4.5 forty.
Agree, but he could also hum that tater. Cut stopped the scrambling his jr. season , still not sure that was the right call.

For shear "freakiness" whip the ass of everyone he ever lined up against, there is only one:

MR. Doug Adkins

End thread.

Came here on a basketball scholarship but wound up being voted THE SEC 1/4 Century player (regardless of position) and went on to make the college and pro HOF. In his spare time he lettered in track and was runner up in the 1952 high jump in the league as well...as a DE.

VN Store

Back