Best Angle and Slow mo of 4th and 24

I believe they got it right. You can see his knee before he slid.View attachment 404400
Your pic has his knee casting a clear shadow which tells me that it hasn't hit the ground yet. I can show you one of his getting up at the 39 and say - see he made it.

Posting a pic of him before he hit is weak sauce - this appears mid lunge to me. I will agree to disagree unless you can provide something more compelling than this. I have watched the slow mo replay a few times - He is not down in this picture.

Reactions: SprocketRocket
Agreed. His knee was on the 41, so there is no way the ball could have been on the 41 also. I'm pretty short, and there is 2.5 feet between my right knee and where he had the ball. I think he made it. He may not have, but the spot was terrible and much closer to the line to gain than the spot.
Well the receiver is about 6' 4 or 5 - so probably close to 3 feet between his knee and southern most point of the ball.

Reactions: SprocketRocket
Your pic has his knee casting a clear shadow which tells me that it hasn't hit the ground yet. I can show you one of his getting up at the 39 and say - see he made it.

Posting a pic of him before he hit is weak sauce - this appears mid lunge to me. I will agree to disagree unless you can provide something more compelling than this. I have watched the slow mo replay a few times - He is not down in this picture.

The entire argument about the shadow is so pointless. I'm not sure how one can tell where Warren's shadow ends and where the Ole Miss DB's shadow begins. You have to look for the knee being down. There's no use in playing forensic investigator over shadows in a grainy photo.

You didnt know the call was reviewed? I took it up a few frames until his right arm hit and the ball was still short of a first down (though just barely). They made the right call as much as I hate to admit it. It's time to move on and get ready for Bama!

99 per cent of the time refs reviewing refs - do not overturn what their buddy indicated on first pass - it has to be so obvious that they would get fired if they didn't overturn it. Their fallback is always - not conclusive one way or the other and the spot stands. If it isn't compelling and completely obvious - it is never overturned - ever.

The entire argument about the shadow is so pointless. I'm not sure how one can tell where Warren's shadow ends and where the Ole Miss DB's shadow begins. You have to look for the knee being down. There's no use in playing forensic investigator over shadows in a grainy photo.
Be that as it may - he is mid dive in this picture - from the videos that I have seen his whole body hits the turf simultaneously as he was diving - which occurs after this still or after this picture. Do you have something more definitive to present ? If you are going to be a critic - let's see your evidence to the contrary. The ball is spotted at the southern most point when his knee, elbow, chest, first makes contact with the ground. He lunged and dove - I still think he got was past the yellow tv generated first down mark when he makes contact with the ground with something other than his hand.

Some of you guys ,more familiar with the rules than me, please explain why the sack on the first down of this series was not called a horse collar, since he took him down by the grabbing the shoulder pads at the rear of his right shoulder.
People around me were making that same complaint after seeing replay on the jumbo. The stadium booed. Overall, the officiating was horrible.

Good question! Here’s the NCAA rule:
All players are prohibited from grabbing the inside back collar of the shoulder pads or jersey, the area, or the inside collar of the side of the shoulder pads or jersey, and immediately pulling the ball carrier down. This does not apply to a ball carrier, including a potential passer, who is inside the tackle box.

On the play in question, the refs made the correct call because Hooker was inside the tackle box. It would have been a horse collar if it occurred outside the tackle box.
783179C3-5538-42F2-B619-E8DA7E4177D8.jpeg

I feel like several of y'all have never been 6'6" tall and nearly 250lbs and tried to change direction at full speed to avoid an impact after already playing a really long game...and it shows.

Warren didn't "just fall down", he made an athletic move while being off balance to try and finish a play to extend the drive. Sheesh.
Thank you! I’m like, who are these keyboard heroes—-you can tell they’ve played very little sports..LOL!

Reactions: JelloPuddinPup
Looks like the referee took the ball, stood where he intended to spot it. looked at the sideline and saw he was about to spot a first down, then put the ball nearly a yard back to make sure it would not be called a first down.

The video in Fullfillmer's OP shows the knee down at or over the 41 yard line. Looks past the 41 to me. That is where referees spotted the ball, but the ball had to be nearly a yard forward of that spot, which put it at the first down line or very close to it.

Ole Miss was up 7-0 so it was early

OK, Thank CP. I figured it was later. Will watch again.

Edit: Well Hell. They must have deleted it on the SEC network replay. It comes back on with the safety play. That is a crock. Guess I will have to check YouTube.

Last edited:
I just bough a new TV so I can get a better view of the replays. Apparently, I don't see the same thing on replays that some other people do.

Vonore? Some of these folks just see what they want to see. I am watching the game again right now. As to the flopping some have brought up. It seemed our guys were down just about as many times as Ole Miss did. Alot of it appears to be cramping up. However I DVR'ed the replay, not the live feed. So they move further ahead in the action several times. Just kinda aggravated Jones fumbled away that first punt.

Reactions: VOLINVONORE
The student section had the best view on the play and they, judging by their response, thought it was an obvious first down. And it probably was. Unfortunately, there were no cameras on that side to prove it.

Good question! Here’s the NCAA rule:
All players are prohibited from grabbing the inside back collar of the shoulder pads or jersey, the area, or the inside collar of the side of the shoulder pads or jersey, and immediately pulling the ball carrier down. This does not apply to a ball carrier, including a potential passer, who is inside the tackle box.

On the play in question, the refs made the correct call because Hooker was inside the tackle box. It would have been a horse collar if it occurred outside the tackle box.
View attachment 404457
I appreciate the explanation. I did not know about the between the tackles part. Back in the day anything went, except for the face mask.

Reactions: BlinghamptonVol
Thank you! I’m like, who are these keyboard heroes—-you can tell they’ve played very little sports..LOL!

Played enough sports to get 5 years of college paid for. Never said this game was easy, but winning teams make winning plays when the game is on the line (teams that are expected to win, also get that spot, the call on the scoop and score, etc).

Warren is a winner and is a great athlete or he wouldn't be out there. He will get a chance to play at the next level, if he so desires. It was just an observation about one play. I will admit it was probably a little harsh.

Not sure if he made it or not and honestly the call could’ve went either way. I’m more upset about the scoop and score reversal. That play defined the game and ended up being the difference maker. Even with the bad spot we still got the ball back and were in a position to win. Realistically, we should’ve trying to run out the clock with the lead.

Wow, using above photo showing ball secure along bottom part of the numbers and then looking at the replay in slow motion of where he landed, if him landing and knee down where all at the same time, there is no doubt that he made the line of gain.

The student section had the best view on the play and they, judging by their response, thought it was an obvious first down. And it probably was. Unfortunately, there were no cameras on that side to prove it.

The only thing that crossed the line was Warren's right hand. The ball was in his left. They mark where the ball is, not where the hand that was not holding it was. And that is hard to see from the stands. You all saw what you wanted to see, but not the ball.

Once upon a time, there was someone named thought. He or she believed they were in the bathroom. But it was a dream and they were snuggled up in their bed. Guess what happened?

VN Store

Back