Border Vol

Vol Fan In Deep South Georgia
What are your picks for best and worst Non SEC cities? My picks are

Best: Tie Dallas,Tampa and Miami

Worst: Tie New Orleans*and Houston with honorable mention Atlanta*

*In my opinion New Orleans has been a crime ridden armpit since Katrina

*I just never liked Atlanta too much crime,traffic etc

Reactions: MAD
Currently live in Miami and wow this place is really blowing up. Everyone fleeing the lib run states (NY and Cali) and coming to soflo. Weather is great year round, women are on another level, lifestyle is just unmatchable. I'm a Tennessee born and raised guy, but South Florida in general is the move.

Reactions: MAD and Border Vol
Currently live in Miami and wow this place is really blowing up. Everyone fleeing the lib run states (NY and Cali) and coming to soflo. Weather is great year round, women are on another level, lifestyle is just unmatchable. I'm a Tennessee born and raised guy, but South Florida in general is the move.
Same here in the Tampa Bay Area. St Pete is turning into a mini Miami Beach area, they just built the new pier recently. Tampa is growing like crazy, as well as Clearwater Beach.
Also Tampa Bay is becoming known as Champa Bay with all 4 major sports teams making it to the championships this year. Bucs making it to the Super Bowl, Lightning to the Stanley Cup, Rays to the World Series. Rowdies(soccer) to the USL championships.

I’ve lived in Columbus Ohio, it’s a great city. It’s one of the few places in the Midwest that wasn’t impacted by the closing of factories since it’s not located on a major river. It’s all about the Buckeyes. The fans don’t compare to us Vols, but I’m jealous of where there program is compared to ours.

Also The Triangle in North Carolina is great. It consists of Raleigh, Durham & Chapel Hill. You have 3 big schools in such close proximity. Tar Heels, Duke and State. Basketball is insane.

Atlanta is a nothing town for a city so big. Zero character.

I know New Orleans so I enjoy it. I can see if you think French Qtr is it, you’d think it’s sucks. But like many big towns, you need to be careful. Sadly, I don’t think NO will ever come back.

I enjoy Miami/Ft Lauderdale. I used to enjoy Chicago but no more. Same for NY. Too expensive and crime is tough.

Nashville is a jewel. Relatively safe and great entertainment. Restaurants are improving. Memphis restaurants are very underrated. More than just BBQ shacks. Far more.

Reactions: tbh and Border Vol
Same here in the Tampa Bay Area. St Pete is turning into a mini Miami Beach area, they just built the new pier recently. Tampa is growing like crazy, as well as Clearwater Beach.
Also Tampa Bay is becoming known as Champa Bay with all 4 major sports teams making it to the championships this year. Bucs making it to the Super Bowl, Lightning to the Stanley Cup, Rays to the World Series. Rowdies(soccer) to the USL championships.

St. Pete is certainly upping its game. I'm happy living about 40 minutes south in Bradenton on the Manatee River. Sarasota/Bradenton is growing, as well. SRQ is adding new flights each month, it seems.

Give me Charleston or anywhere on the Outer Banks for a much different pace

I can't believe how much Charleston/ Mt. Pleasant has grown since I lived there in the late 90's/ early 2000's.

My stepson is going tomorrow to stay at our beach home in Kill Devil Hills. Love the OBX!

Worst - Houston - Rice and U of H . . . Rice campus is nice, not so much for U of H and they have two campus' in Houston
Worst 2 - Urbana - Champaign, IL - University of Illinois - DUMP!
Best - The Research Triangle - UNC Chapel Hill, NC State and Duke - beautiful area, great food, entertainment, etc.
Best 2 - Fargo, ND - North Dakoda State University - Fargo is just a great city, friendly and everything is NDSU during football season.

Another question would be: Where would you most like to go to a football and basketball game, not an SEC venue?

Football - Notre Dame - the history
Basketball - Cameron Indoor Stadium

GBO

Worst - Houston - Rice and U of H . . . Rice campus is nice, not so much for U of H and they have two campus' in Houston
Best - The Research Triangle - UNC Chapel Hill, NC State and Duke - beautiful area, great food, entertainment, etc.
Best 2 - Fargo, ND - North Dakoda State University - Fargo is just a great city, friendly and everything is NDSU during football season.

Another question would be: Where would you most like to go to a football and basketball game, not an SEC venue?

GBO
I would like to see a men's basketball game at the Dean Smith Center and watch a football game at the Rose Bowl.

Reactions: MAD and BigDave
Memphis is really awful. Areas are like Somalia with crime & old buildings. Just drive down Winchester Rd but be careful murder rates there high. Beale St isn't safe at nite

Reactions: Border Vol

GBO
Really would love to go to Fargo and I currently reside in #1 Best. If you ever get a chance to go to Cameron you should definitely go. Incredibly unique place .

I’ve lived in Columbus Ohio, it’s a great city. It’s one of the few places in the Midwest that wasn’t impacted by the closing of factories since it’s not located on a major river. It’s all about the Buckeyes. The fans don’t compare to us Vols, but I’m jealous of where there program is compared to ours.

Also The Triangle in North Carolina is great. It consists of Raleigh, Durham & Chapel Hill. You have 3 big schools in such close proximity. Tar Heels, Duke and State. Basketball is insane.
The best way to describe the basketball to people is imagine if you are a Tennessee fan living in Knoxville and Bama or Florida’s campus is in Turkey Creek and both of you are consistently playing for the CFP. You live with these people, work, go to church, get your hair cut, have your fries served to you by the (especially if you’re a UNC grad or fan). People give me a hard time about being a Duke fan on here, but I’ve been a Duke fan for 35 years and when you grow up in it it’s different . The exact opposite is true for football. People here don’t get big time college football, even though some like to believe that they do.

Reactions: NashVol11 and MAD
I lived in Tampa before Miami. Absolutely love that place.

Texas, Florida, and Nashville are the places to live. Everyone is fleeing these other states because their government is ruining it. NYC used to be known as the best city in the world - they ruined it. Cali isn't any better. Florida, Texas and Tennessee have way better taxes as well.

Memphis is really awful. Areas are like Somalia with crime & old buildings. Just drive down Winchester Rd but be careful murder rates there high. Beale St isn't safe at nite
You ever heard of Bald and Bankrupt? British guy who has built up a pretty good YouTube following as a traveler to exotic/off-the-beaten-path/dangerous places. Intentionally travels to the most dangerous area in places like Mexico, Bolivia, India, former Soviet republics, etc.

He was doing an interview where the interviewer asked him where he felt the most unsafe. Without any hesitation, he said "In America, downtown Atlanta, downtown Nashville." I laughed non-stop for about a minute.

Reactions: BigDave
Really would love to go to Fargo and I currently reside in #1 Best. If you ever get a chance to go to Cameron you should definitely go. Incredibly unique place .

I live in Kentucky, just north of Nashville, and work in Houston . . . And the best thing about Houston, is seeing the "Come Back Soon" signs when leaving!!! LOL

GBO

St. Pete is certainly upping its game. I'm happy living about 40 minutes south in Bradenton on the Manatee River. Sarasota/Bradenton is growing, as well. SRQ is adding new flights each month, it seems.
I lived in Bradenton, loved it there. Moved up here to Clearwater about 5 years ago.

Reactions: Boca Vol
I lived in Bradenton, loved it there. Moved up here to Clearwater about 5 years ago.
We used to live down on the Riverwalk. That was cool. Great restaurants and bars. Can walk to everything. Last year we bought a place on the river near I-75.

VN Store

Back