Should The Vols be ranked #1 tomorrow?

• Yes : It’s a prestige that is earned/remembered

• Yes : but I don’t like it

• No : Because I’m superstitious

• No : They need to stay hungry

• I’m on the fence : Sway me

• No : I’m a Tennessee FB fan /Duke BB fan

Results are only viewable after voting.
Don't count your chickens before they hatch. Considering the NCAA and their love for Duke, I wouldn't be surprised at all if they jumped to #1 after beating undefeated #4 Virgina, even considering their loss. That said, I absolutely think we deserve to be #1.

But, NCAA will NCAA.

You don't really know who cast the votes, do you?

I guess I'm not being clear. You asked a no-brainer question with two options that aren't mutually exclusive. We can be #1 during the season and enjoy the bragging rights as fans, AND still have the ultimate goal of being #1 at the end of the season.

By limiting the choices to one or the other, obviously everyone would choose to be #1 at the end of the season. So, it seems like a odd question to ask.
My sentiments, exactly. We can have our cake and eat it, too.

No, they didn't push to keep Duke #1

Lol... I was thinking the same thing. The whole message was that there isn't a consensus #1 but, of all the teams in consideration, Tennessee was the only one they gave a semi-endorsement to by mentioning us first and specifically saying it's hard to argue against us being #1. Also... If ESPN had some agenda to keep Duke at #1, then you'd think that's who they'd have as #1 right? Oddly enough, Tennessee is ranked #1 in their power rankings. So if they are trying to keep Duke at #1 then aren't doing a very good job.

Reactions: ClearwaterVol
I went through the twitter profiles of the AP voters and browsed their tweets. Don't ask how much free time I had this morning.

Vols will be #1, as they only needed to swing 13 new #1 votes from Duke voters and I counted that many +. I expect we will end up with about 33 first place votes.

Also, a #1 ranking at any point in the season constitutes an amazing achievement. Anyone not enjoying what we're experiencing this season needs to quit watching sports.

We got an additional 15 votes than what I could find from Twitter on Sunday - with a total of 48 votes. #2 Duke got 11 (we had 13 last week).

Reactions: therealitytheory
Duke bias will prevail. They beat Virginia and the voters will forget/ignore the Syracuse loss. We'll be #2

giphy.gif

Reactions: cncchris33
GTFOH. Anyone whining about an ESPN bias and citing an article that showed no such thing is a non reading fool trying to push a non-existent agenda.
What are you even talking about? It’s US AGAINST THE WORLD!!! Always has been ever since the Civil War. These farmers with pitchforks can ball down here.

Reactions: ClearwaterVol
I guess I'm not being clear. You asked a no-brainer question with two options that aren't mutually exclusive. We can be #1 during the season and enjoy the bragging rights as fans, AND still have the ultimate goal of being #1 at the end of the season.

By limiting the choices to one or the other, obviously everyone would choose to be #1 at the end of the season. So, it seems like a odd question to ask.

I think you're just misinterpreting my question. I asked this question to one person, who I responded to. Who was talking about how important being number 1 now would be for recruiting. And I was saying, I think being that now probably wouldn't have the same effect as it would to be the team left standing at the end.

"What would you rather have? Being ranked #1 during the season or winning the national? I'm gonna go with the latter. That to me has more impact on recruiting."

Why is that an odd question? They were mutually exclusive in my wording. I was talking about which would have more impact on recruiting. If we could manage to take it now and hang onto it all season, then great! Even better! I'm sure it looks nice to recruits now, but I still think it would have a bigger impact to be the national champs. What's so wrong about that? The one you chose to respond to was me explaining the question again in a different way to someone else.

Last edited:
I think you're just misinterpreting my question. I asked this question to one person, who I responded to. Who was talking about how important being number 1 now would be for recruiting. And I was saying, I think being that now probably wouldn't have the same effect as it would to be the team left standing at the end.

"What would you rather have? Being ranked #1 during the season or winning the national? I'm gonna go with the latter. That to me has more impact on recruiting."

Why is that an odd question? They were mutually exclusive in my wording. I was talking about which would have more impact on recruiting. If we could manage to take it now and hang onto it all season, then great! Even better! I'm sure it looks nice to recruits now, but I still think it would have a bigger impact to be the national champs. What's so wrong about that?
I'm not trying to be intentionally difficult or obtuse here, but I guess it just seems like a rhetorical question, to me. Obviously winning a national title would he more impactful in recruiting, but that doesn't mean that rising to #1 in January can't possibly have any impact for a program that has done it exactly one other time in program history.

This seems like a scenario where you can eat your cake and have it to, and both have a potential impact on recruiting. Yes, it's quite obvious that finishing the season #1 is more impactful, especially on a national scale, but both results can have varying levels of impact for a program that doesn't reach that height with regularity. Your question is probably more appropriate for a program like UNC or Michigan State, programs that have reached that level multiple times, than it is for Tennessee.

I'm not trying to be intentionally difficult or obtuse here, but I guess it just seems like a rhetorical question, to me. Obviously winning a national title would he more impactful in recruiting, but that doesn't mean that rising to #1 in January can't possibly have any impact for a program that has done it exactly one other time in program history.

This seems like a scenario where you can eat your cake and have it to, and both have a potential impact on recruiting. Yes, it's quite obvious that finishing the season #1 is more impactful, especially on a national scale, but both results can have varying levels of impact for a program that doesn't reach that height with regularity. Your question is probably more appropriate for a program like UNC or Michigan State, programs that have reached that level multiple times, than it is for Tennessee.

In a way it was rhetorical. Kind of an on the fly question. I wasn't objecting that it doesn't have an impact on recruiting being that spot now. I was just saying that to say that it would look even better if we were that at the end. *shrugs*

The Lady Vols have lost 5 in a row and the boys are #1 in the country.

Times are good.
Why is that good ? Yeah, the used to be elitist Lady Vol fans got on my nerves, but that was a long time ago and I always want the LVs to win. Unless u are hoping that loss gets Holly fired, I can't agree with u

We live in a world where the Tennessee football program has lost 3 straight to Vandy, the women's basketball team has lost 5 in a row, and the men's basketball team is the top ranked team in the country. What a time to be alive.

VN Store

Back