Before we fire any coaches

We aren't going to fire our way out of this mess. Every position in the coaching staff has been replaced multiple times over and the results seem to be getting worse. There is no silver bullet at this point. Just pain.

I bet there will be another big housecleaning in the UT Athletic Department by December 2020 at the very,very,very latest.

I bet there will be another big housecleaning in the UT Athletic Department by December 2020 at the very,very,very latest.

They have too. Because it's obvious this isn't going to get better. Fulmers contract will be up. And now it's obvious that not only the Athletic Department but the Administration. No good coach will work under these conditions. And we can't recruit unless we have a solid coach that has control of the resources.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
They have too. Because it's obvious this isn't going to get better. Fulmers contract will be up. And now it's obvious that not only the Athletic Department but the Administration. No good coach will work under these conditions. And we can't recruit unless we have a solid coach that has control of the resources.
The next Tennessee AD will be a big time Jimmy Haslam pawn who just follows orders from Jimmy:(:rolleyes:

They have to go. Then we can get a real AD to run the department correctly. And a real coach to do what he needs to do. Administration is not only to make the education side work. But also to give the football and basketball teams (the sports that make money) what they need without breaking rules. Not to handi cap them. If a school has football and basketball then they have to support them. Not hinder them.

They have to go. Then we can get a real AD to run the department correctly. And a real coach to do what he needs to do. Administration is not only to make the education side work. But also to give the football and basketball teams (the sports that make money) what they need without breaking rules. Not to handi cap them. If a school has football and basketball then they have to support them. Not hinder them.
We've had 4 different AD's the past 10 years. You're getting closer to the problem. Think bigger.

The exact position were in is unable to fire have to give each guy three seasons so buckle up.

The entire administration, Athletics and academics, has completely turned over in the last five years. You’re going to have to find some other faceless entity to blame.

The exact position were in is unable to fire have to give each guy three seasons so buckle up.
If that's true I hope Neyland Stadium is less that half full just to give the people in the UT Athletic Department the right message. A Tennessee team who possibly wins 2-4 games isn't worth the price they charge for tickets to attend games at Neyland Stadium!

If that's true I hope Neyland Stadium is less that half full just to give the people in the UT Athletic Department the right message. A Tennessee team who possibly wins 2-4 games isn't worth the price they charge for tickets to attend games at Neyland Stadium!
Right now if we beat Chattanooga and maybe the other non conference game don't see anymore wins. So I hope it's not true already despise to see Pruitt come to speak have avoided it the last few times reminds me of Butch Jones same old coach speak about how much we are improving as we get our butts handed to us by also rans.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
Right now if we beat Chattanooga and maybe the other non conference game don't see anymore wins. So I hope it's not true already despise to see Pruitt come to speak have avoided it the last few times reminds me of Butch Jones same old coach speak about how much we are improving as we get our butts handed to us by also rans.
Right now I think Tennessee goes 0-8 or 1-7 at the very best in the SEC. I could see Tennessee having 2 wins and Vanderbilt having 1 win going into the Tennessee-Vanderbilt game in Neyland Stadium.

Reactions: Volfan2012
Gotta let the season play out.

I asked a friend of mine who played for Doug Dickey and Bill Battle and was part of the 1970 Sugar Bowl team that went 11-1. His take:

More games are lost than won. That’s because most teams will experience breakdowns throughout the game. Penalties, fumbles, etc. some are forced, some just happen. So it’s usually a question of “did we get beat” or “did we have too many breakdowns.”

Breakdowns happen due to youth, skill, experience, training, etc. They always happen so it’s how you respond that matter. More breakdowns happen offensively than defensively.

In short, if your defense is unable to generate breakdowns and your offense is overly susceptible to them ... you lose. So to win, recruit better, condition better and train, train, train on skills.

He said with average talent and average coaching, teams today should win 6-7 games. Especially since most have 2-3 FCS teams.

As a player ... it’s a huge step to get to 8-3. Weight room, nutrition, study, flexibility... it’s what separates the Top 25 from middle of the pack.

To get to 10-1, is a MASSIVE commitment. He said he didn’t even bother to go to class. It’s was football 24/7. Everything goes your way because you are prepared to make it happen.

Re Pruitt, he’s doing the right things. And any coach who follows would do much the same thing.

The breakdowns he sees are all due to players who don’t seem to want to play (maybe because they feel entitled) or players too young. He said it’s a big gap for freshmen to play against seniors regardless of school.

Overall, he wasn’t torqued up about Pruitt. But totally against continuing to bring in nonSEC coaches. That dog don’t hunt ...

Take it for what it’s worth ...

Great Post!! Thanks for sharing!

Think about this: If you are going to coach Tennessee right now, wouldn’t you ask for a big buyout as a condition of coming here? You need protection to accept a challenging rebuild.

It sounds nice to complain about a buyout, but that’s college football now. And especially to come to Tennessee now would require a buyout to recruit a coach.

Understand the need for buyouts.....What is Pruitt's again? $10 million? Do you think that is too high for a first time head coach? Or is the buyout based soley on our last decade's dumpster fire of a program?

Understand the need for buyouts.....What is Pruitt's again? $10 million? Do you think that is too high for a first time head coach? Or is the buyout based soley on our last decade's dumpster fire of a program?

Option #2. It’s a little bit of where college football is as you get big buyouts with big programs. But mostly, we are a tough rebuild and we had very little leverage after a dumpster fire coaching search circus. Had to pay well for anybody decent.

VN Store

Back