Beacon Prints Trash Letter to Editor about Pearl

I think Bayless just benefited from ESPN needing a foil to their standard cast of characters, and he came in with a pretty beefy resume in terms of recognition from his peers and otherwise. Sort of the same way they ended up with Stephen A. Smith, minus the awards. Regardless, most people aren't going to make it into the ranks of the ESPNs of the world no matter how they start out.

all that said, Hat is correct. no one ever made it by being part of the crowd echoing the majority.

sure there are those that have exceptional skill at what they do, and they make it fine.

but when you look at the mainstream media today, the ones that are becoming uber successfull are the ones that get people talking, and when do people talk...when they get pissed.

all that said, Hat is correct. no one ever made it by being part of the crowd echoing the majority.

sure there are those that have exceptional skill at what they do, and they make it fine.

but when you look at the mainstream media today, the ones that are becoming uber successfull are the ones that get people talking, and when do people talk...when they get pissed.
Perhaps, but I still say there's a reason this kid's initials are BS. He had his 15, I'm done with it.

The staffs of the Sports Animal and News Sentinel stand as a collective exhibit in opposition to your premise.

They're working in a tiny media market and making nothing compared to their counterparts in other areas of the country. I'd hardly call them successful.

he would get punched if he tried to talk all this noise in hannas or tap room or another bar on the strip

Nuts, just when I was about to go to tap room tonight, stand on a barstool, and start preaching to everyone about my feelings on Bruce Pearl. Thanks for the heads up, that was a close one.

I do find it funny how my email has been flooded with death threats and people telling me they're going beat me up, though. You've all been watching CT on the Gauntlet too much, the world doesn't work that way. But hey, if you really feel compelled to find me and confront me on the issue, then by all means. Lets see how that works out for you.

Nuts, just when I was about to go to tap room tonight, stand on a barstool, and start preaching to everyone about my feelings on Bruce Pearl. Thanks for the heads up, that was a close one.

I do find it funny how my email has been flooded with death threats and people telling me they're going beat me up, though. You've all been watching CT on the Gauntlet too much, the world doesn't work that way. But hey, if you really feel compelled to find me and confront me on the issue, then by all means. Lets see how that works out for you.
Hard to punch you in the mouth when your foot is in the way...

But hey, if you really feel compelled to find me and confront me on the issue, then by all means. Lets see how that works out for you.

Well apparently you terrorize frat kids so I'm not sure many people would want to mess with you...

I actually don't mind the point you were actually trying to make, it was the obviously incorrect portions that made you look like an idiot.

I don't understand the bile around here about your commentary. Stoking that flame now seems as idiotic as many of your points in the editorial.

I actually don't mind the point you were actually trying to make, it was the obviously incorrect portions that made you look like an idiot.

I don't understand the bile around here about your commentary. Stoking that flame now seems as idiotic as many of your points in the editorial.
Nicely said.

1) What in the world is the Guantlet?

2) I don't think anyone had a problem with you calling out Pearl for putting in Prince (although starting Howell would have been idiotic) considering he was a liability not only on offense, but defense too.

3) It was the part where you said "Bruce Pearl ruined the season" and spoke of Bruce Pearl's "Free ride with Buzz's players." You may recall Buzz went 14-17 with this group of seniors when they were Freshmen. JaJuan was a walk-on. Not to mention the majority of this team (10/12 used scholarships) are from Bruce Pearl's recruiting. You also may notice the more of Bruce's players have been on the roster every year... the record gets better. 22 wins his first year. 24 the next. 31 this year.

4) I can't believe you compared Pearl to Fulmer in your letter today. The football program is sliding towards mediocrity. The basketball program is moving upwards to heights unseen.

:popcorn: he wrote another one?

After reading Wednesday’s opinion section, I found that Brennan Scotland was completely wrong in everything he said in his letter to the editor. He needs to do research before he decides to bash Bruce Pearl.

J.P. Prince, I will admit, did struggle a little bit at point, but everyone needs to understand Bruce did what he thought would give us the best chance of winning. He was the No. 4 point guard coming out of high school, according to rivals. Mr. Scotland referred to him as not being a point guard. If you look at rivals or scouts’ Web sites, you will see that he was a highly recruited point guard.

Then Mr. Scotland went on to say how Jordan Howell gave us the best chance to win. But he was 4-40 from behind the arc. As an engineer, I don’t really like those numbers.

Then Mr. Scotland went on to say Bruce had a free ride with Buzz Peterson’s ball players. I don’t know if he keeps up with recruiting but we have a pretty good class and the best shooting guard from Kentucky committed to us Tuesday.

Hindsight is 20-20, and Pearl said on the Dan Patrick Radio Show that he feels if he was given a mulligan he would beat Louisville. He said that he didn’t have the right game plan.

All I can say is I cannot wait until next year when we win three national championships — in football, basketball, and women’s basketball.

Logan Julian

Junior in mechanical engineering

I feel I must respond to Brennan Scotland’s letter pillorying Bruce Pearl. His (Mr. Scotland’s) basketball logic, while probably correct, is devoid of any sense of understanding of the complexities and pure luck involved in coaching. To wit: why on earth did Davidson’s coach not have Curry take the last shot against Kansas to tie or win Sunday’s game?

Perhaps with a bit of maturity, Mr. Scotland will respond to controversial decisions made by coach Pearl with a bit more basketball sagacity.

Sheila Burke

Fan of Bruce Pearl

Anchorage, Alaska

After reading Mr. Julian and Mrs. Burke’s absurd responses (April 3) to my letter (April 2), not to mention the multitude of e-mails I received yesterday, all of which rehash the same skewed logic, I would like to respond in order to clarify why I’m right and completely justified in my criticism of Bruce Pearl.

Mrs. Burke fails to prove anything, other than the fact that women shouldn’t be allowed to have letters concerning sports published. Her contention that Davidson’s coach didn’t want to have Stephen Curry take the final shot is funny and delusional, especially considering the fact that Curry took the ball down the court on a play designed for him to take the shot, but was forced to give it up at the last second. But hey, at least she was able to incorporate the word “sagacity” into her argument, right?

Mr. Julian (and seemingly the rest of UT nation) proudly points out that J.P. Prince was a point guard in high school. I fail to see how this translates to why Bruce should have been starting him in the tournament. Most Division I college players could go back to high school and dominate at any position, but that doesn’t automatically mean they will be able to do it at the next level. Maybe Prince will be a good point guard one day, but to throw him in there during our most important game of the season was a foolish move by Pearl, plain and simple. You claim Pearl did this because he thought it gave us our best chance to win. As opposed to what, Pearl thinking it would give us our best chance to lose?

Also, Jordan Howell did give us the best chance to win, as evidenced by our 31 wins with him at point guard.

Pearl’s orange painted chest has blinded you all. Your failure to acknowledge his responsibility for our disappointments in basketball exposes the weird, unconditional loyalty that UT has to its coaches, regardless of their performance (see Phil Fulmer).

Brennan Scotland

Senior in communication studies

:whistling:

Brennan.....when you meet up with small Mike at the bar please tell him there are some that miss his calls to the Animal.......

I know I love listening to the nonsensical spewing of sexist buttheads, but the fact of the matter is regardless of whether or not Jordan Howell plays in that game we'd still lose. People have given enough reasons for why Jordan should have been on the bench so I can spare us all the rehash. Look, Howell seems like a nice enough guy, and he had his moments, but he was where he belonged during that game.

I know I love listening to the nonsensical spewing of sexist buttheads, but the fact of the matter is regardless of whether or not Jordan Howell plays in that game we'd still lose. People have given enough reasons for why Jordan should have been on the bench so I can spare us all the rehash. Look, Howell seems like a nice enough guy, and he had his moments, but he was where he belonged during that game.

Exactly. With Howell in the game, we would have either lost by 9 points or 29 points. The fact remains that we would have still lost.

VN Store

Back