Be TRUTHFUL...Pruitt, Saban, or Frost

Not sure I follow. Compare Nebraska's first season under Frost with our first under Pruitt. They both inherited similar situations, but there's a reason Nebraska is in all of the "too early" Top 25 polls and we're not. Frost is a proven winner with numerous national head coach of the year awards. The best thing you can say about Pruitt after his first season as a head coach is that the jury is still out.
A whole lot goes into that though, right? You are oversimplifying by assuming Frost is better because he is projected to have a better record this year. First, Pruitt actually had the better record between the two last year with a much more difficult schedule. Second, UT yet again has a more difficult schedule so projecting Nebraska in the top 25 could be just as much about that as the coaching. Frost doesn’t have UGA and Florida in his division nor Alabama on the schedule every year so that alone would make it more likely Nebraska would have a better record and thus more likely to be in the top 25. Frost may be better but there’s no way to know yet.

Reactions: AM64 and Hacksaw
A whole lot goes into that though, right? You are oversimplifying by assuming Frost is better because he is projected to be better. First, Pruitt actually had the better record between the two last year with a much more difficult schedule. Second, UT yet again has a more difficult schedule so projecting Nebraska in the top 25 could be just as much about that as the coaching. Frost doesn’t have UGA and Florida in his division nor Alabama on the schedule every year so that alone would make it more likely Nebraska would have a better record and thus more likely to be in the top 25. Frost may be better but there’s no way to know yet.

I agree with a lot of what you're saying. But I would say it's those touting Pruitt who are basing their decision on projection and hope. My pick is based entirely on past results.

UCF was 0-12 when Frost was hired to be their head coach. At the end of his second season they were undefeated and beat a Top 10-ranked Auburn team in their bowl game. UCF!

Like Tennessee, Nebraska was 4-8 in 2017. Like Tennessee, they got worse as the season went on -- and were truly awful the last half of the season. Frost started a true freshman QB in his first season as Nebraska's head coach. It was a controversial call that seemed even more questionable when Martinez was injured in Nebraska's first game, missed the second game and played shakily in the early part of the season. But Frost stuck with him and he improved as the season went on. And so did Nebraska. After an 0-6 start, they won 4 out of their last 6 games.

Five of their losses were by less than a TD margin. They nearly upset Northwestern and Ohio State, both games on the road. Husker fans' expectations for 2019 are sky-high, while most of our fans are still taking a wait-and-see approach.

Not sure I follow. Compare Nebraska's first season under Frost with our first under Pruitt. They both inherited similar situations, but there's a reason Nebraska is in all of the "too early" Top 25 polls and we're not. Frost is a proven winner with numerous national head coach of the year awards. The best thing you can say about Pruitt after his first season as a head coach is that the jury is still out.
Frost has bee a head coach for a number of years. Last year was Pruitts first as a head coach. I still take my chances as to where Tennessee is compared to Nebraska.

Reactions: AM64
Frost. More head coaching experience, more proven results and he's young enough to be around for long time.

If we turned back the clock to the last search, and I was the AD and had the green light to do what it takes to hire any of the three?

Saban, while having a great record, left LSU for the Dolphins and the Dolphins for Bama after stating he wasn't interested. On that basis, I would pass on him.

Frost had HC experience and proved he could win well at a non-traditional winning school. However, he might be another flash in the pan.

Pruitt has put together a strong staff, and seems to be recuiting well.

In the end result, my choice is STILL Chris Petersen.

one coach is 232-62-1 with 6 national titles and 8 SEC titles

another coach is 23-15 with a conference title at a non power 5 school

the last coach is 5-7.

Decisions, decisions.
You forgot the NC for coach #2 🙈

This is roughly akin to asking if one would rather have a new Volkswagen Bug, a slightly used but beefed-up Mini Cooper, or a Bugatti Chiron. (In other words, it's kind of a dumb question.)

Saban's too old at this point to start something new; Pruitt's too dull (I dislike hicky personalities, affected or not. Saban certainly didn't have to dumb himself down to appeal to Alabamians.) Frost who knows. Now in regard to Pruitt, if the team wins big and gets back in the New Year's bowl mix, he might qualify as the "charming pig" Travolta mentioned in Pulp Fiction. In short, pass on all or toss a coin if one must. I don't see any of them being a big deal for this program.

Reactions: 08Vol
Saban's too old at this point to start something new; Pruitt's too dull (I dislike hicky personalities, affected or not. Saban certainly didn't have to dumb himself down to appeal to Alabamians.) Frost who knows. Now in regard to Pruitt, if the team wins big and gets back in the New Year's bowl mix, he might qualify as the "charming pig" Travolta mentioned in Pulp Fiction. In short, pass on all or toss a coin if one must. I don't see any of them being a big deal for this program.

That was Sam L.

I agree with a lot of what you're saying. But I would say it's those touting Pruitt who are basing their decision on projection and hope. My pick is based entirely on past results.

UCF was 0-12 when Frost was hired to be their head coach. At the end of his second season they were undefeated and beat a Top 10-ranked Auburn team in their bowl game. UCF!

Like Tennessee, Nebraska was 4-8 in 2017. Like Tennessee, they got worse as the season went on -- and were truly awful the last half of the season. Frost started a true freshman QB in his first season as Nebraska's head coach. It was a controversial call that seemed even more questionable when Martinez was injured in Nebraska's first game, missed the second game and played shakily in the early part of the season. But Frost stuck with him and he improved as the season went on. And so did Nebraska. After an 0-6 start, they won 4 out of their last 6 games.

Five of their losses were by less than a TD margin. They nearly upset Northwestern and Ohio State, both games on the road. Husker fans' expectations for 2019 are sky-high, while most of our fans are still taking a wait-and-see approach.
No doubt picking Pruitt is a projection and Frost has more of a resume right now. What he did at UCF was certainly impressive. However, if Frost were in the Big 10 East and had to play Mich St, Michigan, Penn St, and Ohio St every year then I’m sure they would be talking about 6-8 wins as most on here seem to be saying about us. My gut tells me both Pruitt and Frost will be successful and they will certainly take different paths to get there with Pruitt’s solid D and Frost’s high octane O. It’s just too early to me to say one is definitely better than the other. I’m a little tougher sell on things like that though. For example, I’m still not convinced Smart is better than Richt. After 3 years the record says Richt is slightly better. There’s no doubt Smart is recruiting better but Richt was pulling in top 10 classes most years. You make good points about Nebraska last year. Have a Good Friday my Vol brother!

Reactions: AM64 and Hacksaw
Because message boards arent a place that even in the remotest sense, reflects ones intelligence.

If someone would rather have a head coach with fewer total wins than Saban total National championships, then they have a low IQ. They are easily deluded and, consequently (or perhaps causally), not smart. As far as I know, Saban hasn't been diagnosed with terminal cancer or anything.

Being I have no clue who two of them are and the other one is probably the worst “celebrity” in America today with obvious mental instability I’ll just have to pass on this question.

One looks like this:

images

Frost has bee a head coach for a number of years. Last year was Pruitts first as a head coach. I still take my chances as to where Tennessee is compared to Nebraska.

Nebraska's last 3 losses were all against ranked opponents (combined record 31-10) and they lost those games by a total of 11 points.

Tennessee's last 3 losses were to opponents that were NOT ranked (combined record 21-18) by a total of 61 points.

Last edited:
Reactions: 08Vol and Mtnvol80
I don’t see Saban doing any better than Pruitt at Tennessee or Frost at Nebraska with the current rosters they have. Yes, Saban rebuilt Bama, but in recent years Bama has been all about talent. My dog could step in as Bamas coach and win right away. Id like to see how Saban would do with a 100% rebuild, not a mini rebuild like Bama or LSU. I would take Pruitt or Frost over Saban to coach TN with its current roster and since Frost is a Nebraska homer and we already have Pruitt, I’ll stick with him. How he performs this year is going to be huge though. He gets a mulligan for last year, but not this year.

Reactions: AM64

VN Store

Back