Be Ready to see thousands of BYU fans in Knoxville

I will add this though. I've had a lot of BYU fans ask me about the game and what to do in the area, I'll not be surprised if they have a lot of fans travel for the game because they can take in Nashville, the game, and Smoky Mtn National Park all on the same trip.

I lived in Utah for almost 5 years, up until about 2 months ago. You can have it. Inversions are the worst, traffic in SLC sucks to a level that matches Cali traffic, and if you aren't LDS don't even bother trying to chat up the local talent. I literally had people not talk to me after they found out I had no interest in converting. You can read all the history you want, just know this, Provo Utah is the least diverse city in the country. Utah is ground zero for multi level marketing schemes to take advantage of ye Gentiles. BYU fans are obnoxious to a level approaching bammers. Doug may be alright, but living in and around them you get really tired of the arrogance. I'm sure there'll be plenty of Jack mormons make the trip to Knoxville. You know what they say... don't invite one mormon to your party, they'll drink all your beer. Bring two and they keep each other honest.
After reading this i May convert (or at least pretend to) and move to Utah LOLOL

I lived in Utah for almost 5 years, up until about 2 months ago. You can have it. Inversions are the worst, traffic in SLC sucks to a level that matches Cali traffic, and if you aren't LDS don't even bother trying to chat up the local talent. I literally had people not talk to me after they found out I had no interest in converting. You can read all the history you want, just know this, Provo Utah is the least diverse city in the country. Utah is ground zero for multi level marketing schemes to take advantage of ye Gentiles. BYU fans are obnoxious to a level approaching bammers. Doug may be alright, but living in and around them you get really tired of the arrogance. I'm sure there'll be plenty of Jack mormons make the trip to Knoxville. You know what they say... don't invite one mormon to your party, they'll drink all your beer. Bring two and they keep each other honest.

I can verify these are true. All you have to do is go to places where they serve alcohol if you want to find a lady who is interested in goys. Sounds like you were in Salt Lake County, which isn't even 50% Mormon, not counting jacks. Plenty of beautiful fish in that sea. Provo is 84% white and yes, mostly Mormon, but it's a melting pot in terms of people moving there from all over the country (it's why driving around sucks so bad...everybody drives differently). There are plenty of places less diverse than that.

Traffic in SLC is bad but not even close to SoCal. Probably not even as bad as Atlanta.

Reactions: UTvols#1

Well, I don't have your SLC experience. But traffic, I'll take your claim with a tablespoon of salt. Not to insult you, but I lived in SoCal (Southern California for folks who don't know) and had to dive FWY 91, I-10, and some of their loop freeways. Especially in and around major cities (for miles) and attractions and beaches. Even as late as 8pm-10pmon Fridays and weekends, I refuse to believe any traffic in the USA, even Chicago, DC, and Atlanta is as bad as Socal.

Now, about the attitudes of SLC LDS dwellers, probably true. But then I've seen the same among snotty so-called Christians in some small towns here in the South, certain areas of Arizona, Oregon, Washington, and NorCal. And Idaho in my view is even worse. I call it bigotry no matter who it is directed at or why. You see, stunning as it seems, Mormons are humans too with all the failings that come with being so. Me? After years of trying to be nice and courteous even when I shouldn't have been, I learned something. When you're not wanted somewhere you often have two choices; leave or ignore them and proceed to do your own thing. To be honest, I sometimes take a third option if verbal sparring occurs. Make fun of folks if they're exceptionally rude. I'm loaded with one-liners and other ways of making rudeness a game of fun for me. But the former two reactions are truly the best way to go.

Well, I don't have your SLC experience. But traffic, I'll take your claim with a tablespoon of salt. Not to insult you, but I lived in SoCal (Southern California for folks who don't know) and had to dive FWY 91, I-10, and some of their loop freeways. Especially in and around major cities (for miles) and attractions and beaches. Even as late as 8pm-10pmon Fridays and weekends, I refuse to believe any traffic in the USA, even Chicago, DC, and Atlanta is as bad as Socal.

Now, about the attitudes of SLC LDS dwellers, probably true. But then I've seen the same among snotty so-called Christians in some small towns here in the South, certain areas of Arizona, Oregon, Washington, and NorCal. And Idaho in my view is even worse. I call it bigotry no matter who it is directed at or why. You see, stunning as it seems, Mormons are humans too with all the failings that come with being so. Me? After years of trying to be nice and courteous even when I shouldn't have been, I learned something. When you're not wanted somewhere you often have two choices; leave or ignore them and proceed to do your own thing. To be honest, I sometimes take a third option if verbal sparring occurs. Make fun of folks if they're exceptionally rude. I'm loaded with one-liners and other ways of making rudeness a game of fun for me. But the former two reactions are truly the best way to go.

I lived in the LA South Bay area, as far north as Venice/Mar Vista and south to Redondo Beach for 12 years. Regularly drove the 405/10/605/5 freeways as in almost daily. Relocated to the Atlanta area the past 6 or 7 years. The worst day in SoCal for traffic is better than the best day for traffic in the ATL. It's not even close, in SoCal the traffic at least moves, perhaps slowly but moves it does. In the ATL, especially on the 75, some days on the 20 freeways, routinely put your car in park, turn it off, and surf the web, perhaps in ten minutes start it up and move 50 feet repeat the cycle. SoCal appears worse as many people have such long commutes, lots of people then were commuting from Corona back in to LA, 35 miles one way for an LA commute was considered "good" by many people working there. I worked with several living in Temecula then because it was cheap which has now boomed and no longer cheap that commuted everyday 75 miles one way, Atlanta is not like that yet but it is getting there as far as commute distances.

Reactions: WoodsmanVol
I lived in the LA South Bay area, as far north as Venice/Mar Vista and south to Redondo Beach for 12 years. Regularly drove the 405/10/605/5 freeways as in almost daily. Relocated to the Atlanta area the past 6 or 7 years. The worst day in SoCal for traffic is better than the best day for traffic in the ATL. It's not even close, in SoCal the traffic at least moves, perhaps slowly but moves it does. In the ATL, especially on the 75, some days on the 20 freeways, routinely put your car in park, turn it off, and surf the web, perhaps in ten minutes start it up and move 50 feet repeat the cycle. SoCal appears worse as many people have such long commutes, lots of people then were commuting from Corona back in to LA, 35 miles one way for an LA commute was considered "good" by many people working there. I worked with several living in Temecula then because it was cheap which has now boomed and no longer cheap that commuted everyday 75 miles one way, Atlanta is not like that yet but it is getting there as far as commute distances.

One thing is clear, you know your SoCal. I lived and worked there so had to deal with the traffic daily, despite leaving home at 5AM, it was 1.5 - 2.5 hours drive depending on the month and whether there was a crash (I saw many) ahead of you. I never lived in Atlanta and rarely visited (only twice, I think) so I'll just take your word at how bad it is. It was bad when I was there. My complaint was the freeway signs often didn't give you enough advance notice on what lane to be in and jackass driver resisted allowing you to switch lanes. All the same, reading your reply, I'll take your word for how bad it is.

I can verify these are true. All you have to do is go to places where they serve alcohol if you want to find a lady who is interested in goys. Sounds like you were in Salt Lake County, which isn't even 50% Mormon, not counting jacks. Plenty of beautiful fish in that sea. Provo is 84% white and yes, mostly Mormon, but it's a melting pot in terms of people moving there from all over the country (it's why driving around sucks so bad...everybody drives differently). There are plenty of places less diverse than that.

Traffic in SLC is bad but not even close to SoCal. Probably not even as bad as Atlanta.

Nope, didn't live in SLC, you couldn't pay me to live in that place. Before I moved to Idaho I was living about 15 min east of Park City. Before that, Cache Valley. My job takes me everywhere from the coast in Cali to Iowa, I have a pretty good base of information to base these ideas on. Sure, you can find a Jack that drinks, but let's face it, the prettiest girls in Utah aren't the ones at the bars. From the time you hit Ogden heading south, til you get to Spanish Fork, it's all one city, with never ending construction zones. KUTV posted the info about Provo being #500 out of 500 cities ranked on diversity, Orem was #498.

I will add this though. I've had a lot of BYU fans ask me about the game and what to do in the area, I'll not be surprised if they have a lot of fans travel for the game because they can take in Nashville, the game, and Smoky Mtn National Park all on the same trip.
I can't really see BYU fans having a ton of fun in Nashville, especially if they hang in the touristy areas (i.e., Broadway)

I've lived in SoCal as well, and the only areas of Idaho that have attitude problems are the southern areas that are LDS dominated. Religious bigotry, if you don't want to convert then they have no use for you. They are nice people with great family values, but let's not kid ourselves, they can be spiteful as well. In no way am I saying they all are, but there's enough of them that I've met that have certainly reinforced my feelings towards the group as a whole. First question they always ask "what brought you to Utah?". When I tell them work, the whole mood changes. It's pretty comical in a way, I can pretty much script out the conversation from that point on.

Nope, didn't live in SLC, you couldn't pay me to live in that place. Before I moved to Idaho I was living about 15 min east of Park City. Before that, Cache Valley. My job takes me everywhere from the coast in Cali to Iowa, I have a pretty good base of information to base these ideas on. Sure, you can find a Jack that drinks, but let's face it, the prettiest girls in Utah aren't the ones at the bars. From the time you hit Ogden heading south, til you get to Spanish Fork, it's all one city, with never-ending construction zones. KUTV posted the info about Provo being #500 out of 500 cities ranked on diversity, Orem was #498.

It's gotta be cities of 100k+ populations or something. My parents live in southern Utah in a city that is 90% white. I just picked Tullahoma, TN randomly, and it's 90% white.

Yeah, the construction is never-ending because of the salt used for snow removal, and everybody lives near the mountains, so that little growth goes west, and the north/south corridor is ridiculously long.

Try being a Mormon kid in TN. I haven't been Mormon for a long time, but I still sort of resent the way I was treated (moreso than I did at the time). At Camp Buck Toms, we shared the nicest site right next to the mess hall with a Baptist troop. They got there first and claimed the section with the bathroom (it was the only campsite with plumbing...shower, toilets, everything). Their leaders tried to rope off their section of the site so we didn't intermingle. Our leaders went and talked to them and they acquiesced and of course us kids had a blast together, but it was always weird, passive-aggressive stuff like that.

Try being a Mormon kid in TN. I haven't been Mormon for a long time, but I still sort of resent the way I was treated (moreso than I did at the time). At Camp Buck Toms, we shared the nicest site right next to the mess hall with a Baptist troop. They got there first and claimed the section with the bathroom (it was the only campsite with plumbing...shower, toilets, everything). Their leaders tried to rope off their section of the site so we didn't intermingle. Our leaders went and talked to them and they acquiesced and of course us kids had a blast together, but it was always weird, passive-aggressive stuff like that.

You can Google the least diverse city study, should be the first link that pops up. It was based on a variety of factors. Where in S Utah do your parents live? I'm not sure if next week I'll be in Utah for work, or the Bay area. Talk about two different extremes lol.

Reactions: n_huffhines
You can Google the least diverse city study, should be the first link that pops up. It was based on a variety of factors. Where in S Utah do your parents live? I'm not sure if next week I'll be in Utah for work, or the Bay area. Talk about two different extremes lol.

Cedar City, where the bar scene is really sad. If you're in SLC, it's really fun. If you get down that way, make sure to check out Bryce Canyon. The Grand Canyon is more amazing because of its sheer size, but Bryce is much prettier.

7013075_medium_1554822184.jpg

Reactions: bigorange
Trying to remember the last time I saw a bunch of rowdy drunks at the Grand Ol Opry...
I meant they'll be put off by the vibe of Nashville in its current form, which is more akin to New Orleans than to a conservative, southern town that likes wholesome country music.

I can't really see BYU fans having a ton of fun in Nashville, especially if they hang in the touristy areas (i.e., Broadway)
You mean that people who don’t partake of alcohol, caffeine or nicotine and don’t believe in pre-marital sex don’t want to hang out with people singing about all of those things.

Cedar City, where the bar scene is really sad. If you're in SLC, it's really fun. If you get down that way, make sure to check out Bryce Canyon. The Grand Canyon is more amazing because of its sheer size, but Bryce is much prettier.

7013075_medium_1554822184.jpg
I usually just stop in Cedar City to grab a bite to eat and fill up on my way back up from St George. Always struck me as a town with not a ton of nightlife, which is weird considering the amount if tourist traffic it gets.

You mean that people who don’t partake of alcohol, caffeine or nicotine and don’t believe in pre-marital sex don’t want to hang out with people singing about all of those things.

Considering Utah leads the nation in new cases of STDs you may be a little off on that assumption. Besides, plenty of Jack mormons do drink alcohol and coffee.

I usually just stop in Cedar City to grab a bite to eat and fill up on my way back up from St George. Always struck me as a town with not a ton of nightlife, which is weird considering the amount if tourist traffic it gets.

Unsolicited recommendation...if I were filling up and grabbing a quick bite, I would go with Bruno's deli, but my favorite there is the calzone so you'd probably want to call in your order 15 minutes before you hit the station. If you want a sit-down restaurant, Brody's is at that same exit and it's delicious.

I've lived in SoCal as well, and the only areas of Idaho that have attitude problems are the southern areas that are LDS dominated. Religious bigotry, if you don't want to convert then they have no use for you. They are nice people with great family values, but let's not kid ourselves, they can be spiteful as well. In no way am I saying they all are, but there's enough of them that I've met that have certainly reinforced my feelings towards the group as a whole. First question they always ask "what brought you to Utah?". When I tell them work, the whole mood changes. It's pretty comical in a way, I can pretty much script out the conversation from that point on.

I'm sure it happens. I could talk even more negative about them than any of you, me being a Black guy and all. But I recognize that all in all, they aren't any different than other folks, epidermis hues notwithstanding. And yes, I've bumped into some of the bigoted ones that made me believe they were worse than the Southern Christian varieties I grew up around In Tennessee. Still, in both cases, I also bumped in similar outer skin layer ones who were literally fun to know and hang out with. My whole point is that instead of judging the BYU fans and Mormons in general, keep in mind whatever negatives you throw their way bounces in your realm as well. I think I may have had generally decent experiences with the ones I came to know because I didn't judge them and treated them like I would anyone else. You know, be nice to the nice and treat the unsavory ones as if they don't exist. Live and let live thing. I did find that instead of judging to ask to listen to what they had to say without making it a heated religious word-war resulted in some really friendly interactions. But maybe I just got lucky or met them outside their usual sphere of influence. I notice when you have like-mind folks in a pod, pack, herd, gaggle, horde, swarm, pride, or shiver - they launch into a feeding frenzy. We've seen the phenomenon on this board anytime 45-lovers and dislikers butt heads. Same thing with religious flocks who have an I'm right and you're wrong mentality. Neither one practicing the fundamental foundation of their claimed beliefs.

I was raised LDS here in Knoxville. I can certainly attest to passive aggressive acts once people found out we were members of the church (still happens from time to time but less nowadays). IIRC there was only one other girl in my entire high school that was LDS too. Didn’t really get too much grief from my peers in HS (I was a lot bigger than them) but some faculty members at my HS did say some tongue in cheek comments that were unnecessary. They claimed the comments were jokes but you knew what they truly meant.

I was raised LDS here in Knoxville. I can certainly attest to passive aggressive acts once people found out we were members of the church (still happens from time to time but less nowadays). IIRC there was only one other girl in my entire high school that was LDS too. Didn’t really get too much grief from my peers in HS (I was a lot bigger than them) but some faculty members at my HS did say some tongue in cheek comments that were unnecessary. They claimed the comments were jokes but you knew what they truly meant.

I worked with several LDS back in the 90s.
They seemed nice but were racists.
Said they didn’t associate with any blacks, Latinos, or gays in their church and wouldn’t know how to act around any. They were never mean to anyone but they just kept to themselves.
I always thought that was odd.
Not saying all LDS are this way now...30 years later...I’m sure the church is much more liberal and accepting of others now.
Enjoy your trip to East Tenn.

VN Store

Back