Be honest answering ...

How they were lined up had more to do with calling it than the situation of the game. I was screaming at my TV ONSIDE KICK IT before they kicked it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200104-070925_Twitter.jpg
    Screenshot_20200104-070925_Twitter.jpg
    447.5 KB · Views: 12
i remember a few years ago Maryville had just scored on Alcoa. They came back with an onside kick, recovered it and marched down the field and scored again...it took the wind out of Alcoa's sails for the rest of the game. GQ was often criticized for 'trickey' plays but he darn sure won a few football games.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
A - Would you as a head coach last night called for that onside kick with over 4 and half minutes to play and all 3 times out left ?

B - Think that Pruitt was going to call for it ?
caught me totally off guard. With all timeouts thought they’d try to hold them. They scored so fast with the short field that it created some drama.

No and no. Right when they sat up for the kick, the fan next to me in the stands said "onside kick" and I looked at him and said no effing way... I'm glad I was wrong.

A - Would you as a head coach last night called for that onside kick with over 4 and half minutes to play and all 3 times out left ?

A. No
B. No
C. I would not have passed the ball 4 times inside the 10 in the 1st qtr as well. Also, I would have kicked the field goal and not went for it on 4th down. Kick the ball when you are supposed to in Qtr's 1- 3 and leave the risk taking for Qtr 4. I am a firm believer in this and you will win more times than not if you stick to it.

With that said, I like Pruitt and staff and hope he is here for many years.

Reactions: CDB

A- I wouldn’t have although it was really a great time to do it. IU coach admitted they weren’t expecting it given how much time was left. In hindsight it made sense, was a great call.

B- no, I didn’t think Pruitt was gonna call it.

Reactions: JOEY'S ALL VOL !!!
I was watching the game with a few people and said out loud we are going to onside kick it, since IU drives we're eating up chunks of time and yardage. After it happened they all looked at me odd, no one thought it made sense when I said it.

had it been the first half, I wouldn't have called it.

given how Ramsey was running all over us in the second half, yes and yes. I assumed on-side kick and was confounded that IN seemed caught off guard.

This worked so he’s a genius. Had it not, and we handed the ball to IU with that field position, it was likely a dagger. Had it not worked people would be screaming for his job today.

This! Went from “what an idiot” to “great call” in a microsecond.

Very few coaches would’ve taken that chance there. Which is really why it was so brilliant. But as good as that call was there were a lot of puzzling decisions as well. For one...continually throwing the ball down near the goal line (when the run game got us down there to begin with), not giving Maurer an opportunity earlier in the game, going into a prevent defense once we got the lead late which allowed them to get into scoring position, and not adjusting/using a spy to stop the qb run.

I agree with everything but the spying (like Lane Train 4 said, you don’t spy an unathletic QB). However, it seems like we did make some “adjustments” or made the players more aware of his ability to take off because it seems he was not as successful later in the game (admittedly I am not certain of this because I have not rewatched the game and was caught up in emotion).
I have been impressed with his ingame adjustments. While he does not always make the best decisions (timeout), unlike our former regime, he does a good job of correcting mistakes and not repeating them.

It's a huge gamble in my opinion, but with the way they lined up on their kick return team it was probably the best way to steal a quick possession. I can't tell you which one I would call because I'm not sure, but I did fear that since UT scored fast that it would come back to bite them. Luckily a missed FG saved the game.

After we pulled within 6, with the way IU was able to move the chains, I told my wife I hope we go for the onside kick, since I didn't know if we could stop them and get the ball back, and if they went down and scored, we didn't have a chance. I wasn't even looking at the TV when brooks kicked off, so it caught me completely by surprise.

Yes and yes. Told the Mrs., watch for an onside kick. Gutsy call, beautifully executed. One of the best plays of the season to me.

I'm going to be honest, when we scored I said, "I hope they don't try an onside kick and give Indiana good field position". Gutsy but if it didn't work, everyone would be calling for Pruitts head afterward. Pruitt had confidence in the play and the team to execute it perfectly! Kudos and I'm glad we finally have a coach that is turning the team and tradition of UT football back into a respectable name that will soon be feared again by the opposition!

No idea , didn't even think about it. Imagine the threads today if we hadn't recovered it.
Funny how if it works, he’s a great coach. If it fails, he’s the worst coach. That’s every fan base but 6” difference and the board is totally different.

yep, I expected it...perfect timing and perfect execution...just beautiful...seriously, I called for it on the last KO...:D

GO BIG ORANGE!

I thought we would try one earlier in the game because Pruitt has done it several times. However because our defense was dominating early in the game forgot about it. Caught me completely by surprise.

Yes and Yes I suspected it, he tried quite a few last season and the Vols needed to steal a possession.

that we are asking this question shows the perfect timing of the call. My brother made a joke right before the kick saying, "onside time"...and we all chuckled a bit. perfect timing.

Reactions: savannahfan

VN Store

Back