Be careful what we wish for

I'm not saying I love Jeremy Pruitt. He was dealt a bad hand with the way he took over 2018. Several losses that should have been wins (GA State, BYU, KY, Arkansas, Auburn) and we keep getting blown out in the second half of games. And not to mention the inexplicable handing with JG.

However, with all the 'fire Pruitt' talk...let's take a minute to compare how the other coaches have fared since 2018 that were in the running for the UTK HC position three short years ago:

Coach -- Wins-Losses -- Winning %
Dan Mullen -- 27-6 -- 82%
Mike Gundy -- 20-12 -- 63%
Mike Leach -- 19-13 -- 59%
Dave Doeren -- 19-15 -- 56%
Jeremy Pruitt -- 15-17 -- 47%
David Cutcliffe -- 15-18 -- 45%
Jeff Brohm -- 12-17 -- 41%
Mel Tucker -- 6-10 -- 38%
Kevin Sumlin -- 9-16 -- 36%
Scott Frost -- 10-18 -- 36%
Chip Kelly -- 8-19 -- 30%
Greg Schiano -- 1-3 -- 25%
Les Miles -- 3-15 -- 17%

Couple of things stand out...

#1 - If UT is not careful, they will continue to place the school in a position that is 'undesirable' or toxic for coaches. Who wants to come be a part of this rabid, unforgiving, unsupportive, and unreasonable fan base?
#2 - It's really hard to hire good coaches
#3 - Be patient. It does take time to recruit and turn things around. Dooley killed the program. Jones killed the culture.
#4 - CJP does have some growing up in the position to do. But I don't think he is as bad as the record shows.
Dude, just no. It’s time for Pruitt to gtfo period

People are not knocking down our door to coach here. Like it or not, getting rid of Pruitt now only makes that worse. P.S. please start HB next week.

He is actually worse than his record shows. The Indiana bowl game last year was a lucky win. CJP has to go by the end of the season. We are going to lose recruits which is the only way we can get back to relevancy and Pruitt is definitely not going to over achieve with lesser talent. It’s a tough pill to swallow but that is where the program is now.

And unfortunately, the whole country

I'm not saying I love Jeremy Pruitt. He was dealt a bad hand with the way he took over 2018. Several losses that should have been wins (GA State, BYU, KY, Arkansas, Auburn) and we keep getting blown out in the second half of games. And not to mention the inexplicable handing with JG.

However, with all the 'fire Pruitt' talk...let's take a minute to compare how the other coaches have fared since 2018 that were in the running for the UTK HC position three short years ago:

Les Miles -- 3-15 -- 17%

#1 - If UT is not careful, they will continue to place the school in a position that is 'undesirable' or toxic for coaches. Who wants to come be a part of this rabid, unforgiving, unsupportive, and unreasonable fan base?
#3 - Be patient. It does take time to recruit and turn things around. Dooley killed the program. Jones killed the culture.
#4 - CJP does have some growing up in the position to do. But I don't think he is as bad as the record shows.
Ok. Just because Pruitt is doing the same as Brohm does not mean he is doing well. He’s in year 3 and losing 5 straight games by double digits. We lost to Ga State and recovered. Then we have our worst loss to UK in 85 years. Then we lose to a first time head coach coming off 20 straight SEC losses. Sell those performances to recruits and paying customers.

There’s a saying in baseball. Momentum is tomorrow’s starting pitcher. In other words, the right person can turn things around, regardless of how we got there. We have made 4 bad hires in a row. Same as Bama before they found Saban.

Guys I’m taking the grandkids to see Santa tomorrow. Should I use my one shot on asking for a new coach?

I really want a new .22 magnum.....a CZ 512 or a Ruger American rimfire target.

But Im down to take one for the team......also my grandson says if you ask Santa directly he HAS to bring it.

JoAllan, here's the deal - if Santa is in west Knoxville, wearing a 1998 Natty ring, eating a donut, and whispers he has a second job then ask nicely but firmly for a new coach.

Deal#2 - if Santa is wearing a 1951 Natty ring, has a Cleveland Browns tee shirt under his red coat, and smells a bit like diesel fuel then beg for a new coach and slip him a $100 tip with Freeze's name on it

Les Miles -- 3-15 -- 17%

Thanks for this and good points. However, I’m not sure all of these coaches were “in the running” to become our HC; there was talk about all of them, they were mentioned by fans, but I think a few of them kind of make this more of a wish list than coaches who actually interviewed. Correct me if I’m wrong and they all did interview.

Second, I think we have been at stage number one on your list for quite some time. It may be one reason the best coaches out there have not been beating our door down in previous searches and we’ve ended up with third and fourth choices like Dooley and the Butch. Just a thought.

As bad as Dooley was and Butch, they never lost 5 straight games by double digits

They never lost to GSU

They never lost by 27 at home to UK

Even Butch figured out halftime adjustments. Still waiting on that here.
Pruitt never went winless in the SEC.

I know your funning.

But for those who possibly don’t know.

Ruger is an American company. Famous for their revolvers, the 10/22, and their Mark series pistols.

Their Revolvers are up there with Smith for some of the best. Their #1 rifle’s are highly sought after. Most of their pistols are solid, but budget minded. Their over under’s are very nice........but their rimfire’s are world famous (as are some of their revolvers and the #1).
Their Mark series are nearly impossible to dissemble

They were.

The Mark IV has changed everything. Press of a button takedown and even easier reassembly.
Do tell? To quote Johnny Carson, "I did not know that." Thanks for the info. I love the pistol, just hate to clean it.

Les Miles -- 3-15 -- 17%

Most of the coaches on that list are coaches VolNation coveted. Interesting. Thanks, OP. I think I needed this.

Based off what he walked into pruitt deserves one more year to put another nice class together. He must really make massive strides in year 4 though in my opinion. No more excuses after that. If he loses to big boys it better be close in well coached and hard fought games tight in scoring to deserve a year 5. 8 and 4 will not cut it

Agreed. I think this year COVID or not he should get a pass but next year is the make or break year. I would suggest him making sure to push Bailey very hard this off-season and have him mentally ready. I would also like to see Bailey step up and be a vocal leader.

Les Miles -- 3-15 -- 17%

I agree only because being a constant cycle of firing a coach every 3-4 years is never going to lead to any success when a program is so far down. Rinsing and repeating isn’t the answer right now, if there’s an answer at all. And the way fans are just assuming we can get some great coach to take the job at this point is a joke.

Reactions: casual-observer
Doing this is what led to Kiffin, then Dooley, then Butch, then Pruitt, and then probably Muchamp or stupid ish if we yet again have to go in another direction.
You’ve got a point. Why go through the expense of hiring/firing someone who may do worse when we can just sit back and progressively get worse under Pruitt.

On a side note, the only coach you listed that HC’ed another down in college football after UT was Kiffin. And if you think any of the guys we fired needed more time, we can give it to them because every single coach we’ve fired is still available

I am not defending CJP. He has had the worst job to pull off. I thought we might show something this year, but JG should never have been even a player in the SEC! Now, put any team playing only SEC teams- that's a hell of a schedule. I was hoping for a 6 & 4. with the QB play and defense, I guess we're rock bottom now. It proves the SEC is a Killer Elite Conference. We eat our own. Now we need to begin our search committee! If he was a defensive genius, we would have seen itbut

I agree only because being a constant cycle of firing a coach every 3-4 years is never going to lead to any success when a program is so far down. Rinsing and repeating isn’t the answer right now, if there’s an answer at all. And the way fans are just assuming we can get some great coach to take the job at this point is a joke.

So what's your answer, keep rewarding a coach with raises and extensions even though he is failing because you are afraid of hiring a coach who might also fail?

How exactly is that supposed to reverse the trend?

VN Store

Back