Baugh joins working class

Athensvol

Baugh joins working class
Lady Vols set to sign four basketball recruits

By DAN FLESER, fleser@knews.com
November 7, 2006

Tennessee made room in its women's basketball recruiting class for another top prospect.

The Lady Vols received a commitment Tuesday night from Vicki Baugh, a 6-foot-4 forward from Sacramento (Calif.) High School who is among the top 10 prospects in the class of 2007. She had been deliberating since making her final recruiting visit, to Cal last weekend.

Baugh led her team to a Northern California state championship last season, averaging 19.7 points, 11.5 rebounds, two steals and two blocks per game.

For her high school career, Baugh has scored 1,343 points and grabbed 856 rebounds.

Baugh, a first-team All-Junior selection by USA Today, played for USA Basketball's Under-18 team this summer. She averaged 11.8 points and eight rebounds for a team that went 4-0 and qualified for next summer's World Championships. Baugh's scoring average was second on the team and her rebounding was third.

Baugh will be joining three prospects, who already comprised the No. 2-rated recruiting class by the Blue Star Report, in signing a letter of intent today on the first day of the fall signing period.

The others:

Angie Bjorklund, a 6-foot guard from University High in Spokane, Wash., is the top-ranked guard prospect by HoopGurlz.com and the No. 3 national prospect by Blue Star. She was a second-team Parade All-American as a junior, averaging 19 points per game and shooting 57.9 percent on 3-pointers.

Kelley Cain, a 6-6 center from Saint Pius X in Atlanta, is the second-rated center in the class by HoopGurlz.com and the No. 13 overall prospect by Blue Star. She averaged 20.1 points, 13.2 rebounds and six blocks per game in leading St. Pius to a second consecutive Class 4A state championship last season.

Sydney Smallbone, a 5-9 guard from St. Joseph's in South Bend, Ind., is ranked 20th among guards by HoopGurlz.com and is Blue Star's No. 55 prospect. She averaged 18.9 points per game last season for a team that reached the state semifinals. She has started all 76 games played in three seasons at St. Joseph's.
All four players made their recruiting visits to Tennessee on the same mid-September weekend. St. Pius coach Stephanie Dunn came with Cain on the recruiting trip and met the other players, along with their parents and, in Baugh’s case, her grandmother. She noted a common thread of basketball devotion running through all the players.

In the case of Smallbone, the thread runs all the way back to her pre-teen years.

"I started working out every day after school in the sixth grade," she said.

Smallbone's mother, Maria, told Dunn that her daughter has a key to a local rec center and regularly arrives at 5:30 a.m. to work on her shooting.

"I was like, 'Wow,' " Dunn said.

Dunn has her story to tell about Cain. She works with her AAU coach every Sunday on her post game. She also has a personal trainer and works with former Olympic 400-meter relay gold medalist Antonio McKay on her footwork and agility.

As for Baugh, her high school, John Langston, said earlier this fall that basketball was her "career."

"She's running stairs when everyone else is at home," he said.

Up until this summer, Bjorklund had been working too hard, which likely played a role in two lower-leg stress fractures suffered within the space of a year. Her adjusted schedule is being monitored by her parents.

"They really care about me," Bjorklund said. "They don't want to see me hurt. I love them for it."

What happens when she gets here, where there's no parents and a new practice facility?

"Coach (Pat) Summitt, she has informed me I will not be overtraining when I get here," Bjorklund said.

Sounds like the coach might have to hold the line with all four players. She could have worse problems.

:banghead2: :banghead2: :banghead2: :banghead2: :banghead2: :banghead2: :banghead2: :banghead2:

This class coupled with the young stars we already have should make for a great team next season.

Very, very nice class. Imagine them playing with Alexis Hornbuckle and Candace Parker. :)

Pat's gone to long without a natl champ so you know she's fired up

Summitt sings, players sign

Date: Nov 9, 2006

When Pat Summitt got the final piece of her recruiting puzzle in place, she ended up singing “Rocky Top” over a speakerphone to the player’s family gathered in California. Vicki Baugh’s commitment – along with those received earlier from Angie Bjorklund, Kelley Cain and Sydney Smallbone – likely ensured that Lady Vol fans will be singing for years to come.

Smallbone? :lol:

I don't care much for women's basketball, but they've got some names over there. Hornbuckle, Smallbone, etc.

why? recruiting is recruiting, there are just more numbers in football compared to basketball, but recruiting is no different at it's core

The process of womens basketball and football are vastly different. Exposure, combines, pressure, bigger number of big name schools, more assistant coaches, more alumni willig to spend money.

take all that away and recruiting is selling yourself, selling your vision, but at it's core it's selling yourself, not even your program, look at Rutgers, Schiano sold himself to these guys and he's attracted some talent to a dead program. The process is different, no one disputes that, but recruiting is the essentially the same thing...salesmanship

It also helps to be one of the hot teams. Ask USC.

As for the LVs, they may be receiving some more good news. One of the top PGs for the 2008 class is set to commit(Caroline Doty) and has UT in her top 5. Many think it is down to UT and UConn.

the differance between fulmer and summitt? whens the last time pat had to make excusses for one or more of her players being arrested? instead of giving atta boys to the football team maybe phil should get some tips from pat on how to manage a bunch of teenagers. what happened to the personal pride and self-respect that each and everyone of these players should feel being fortunate enough to play for and represent the greatest university in the country????

agree 100%, those things will happen anywhere, but they seem to happen much to frequently on the Hill

VN Store

Back