BasketVols in the NBA

People are gonna see how well Keon and Jaden play in the NBA and in a few years go “Jesus did we underutilize those guys while they were here.”

People are gonna see how well Keon and Jaden play in the NBA and in a few years go “Jesus did we underutilize those guys while they were here.”
I don’t think the fact that a couple of guys who were 18/19 while they were here for one season will go on to develop better games in the NBA as they mature is good evidence we underutilized them

I don’t think the fact that a couple of guys who were 18/19 while they were here for one season will go on to develop better games in the NBA as they mature is good evidence we underutilized them
I also can't help but wonder if we look back and wonder what happened to Keon? That guy is the very definition of boom/bust.

Reactions: berryvol

Absolutely agree.

It’s true for many, many NBA players that their college years were whelming. Sure, you’ve got guys like Zion who were forces of nature in college and then forces of nature in the NBA. But for every Zion, there are 5 Zach Lavine’s. He didn’t even start, averaged 9 points and under 2 assists per game on his 1 college season on a 9 loss team and still got drafted in the lottery.

It’s totally normal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vol49er
Weird take…if they aren’t showing out this year but are a few years from now that would seem to suggest they weren’t ready and needed that time to develop?

Absolutely agree.

It’s true for many, many NBA players that their college years were whelming. Sure, you’ve got guys like Zion who were forces of nature in college and then forces of nature in the NBA. But for every Zion, there are 5 Zach Lavine’s. He didn’t even start, averaged 9 points and under 2 assists per game on his 1 college season on a 9 loss team and still got drafted in the lottery.

It’s totally normal.
Yea, seemed like a reach from @zjcvols

Sure they’ll get better under the NBA of course. And they weren’t perfect players in college. But the way that we used them and their skills, they were underutilized.

Sure they’ll get better under the NBA of course. And they weren’t perfect players in college. But the way that we used them and their skills, they were underutilized.
Don't disagree fully, but if they show out in a couple of years professionally, it won't really be evidence of that. Seemed like you wanted to emphasize that point again, so you connected it very tenuously to the topic at hand

I also can't help but wonder if we look back and wonder what happened to Keon? That guy is the very definition of boom/bust.
I don't necessarily agree. I think he could be a helpful contributor even if he's not a star. Though I felt stronger about that before his really poor wingspan measurements came in and made me think twice about him being an excellent NBA defender

Last edited:
I tend to agree with most of your takes but I’m far apart with you on this one. Barring injury, I’ll be shocked if Keon doesn’t have a solid if not outstanding NBA career. JMO, TIFWIW

I don't think it will be a Kamara type situation. Do I think they could potentially have been used better in their lone season? Possibly yeah, but it's not like they were underutilized or completely ignored (like CBJ did for Kamara). They both started at times and saw significant playing time and were even the catalysts for the 2nd half of the season. Don't think their future NBA success or lack thereof has much of anything to do with the way they were used at UT.

I could also be wrong.

Reactions: walkenvol
I tend to agree with most of your takes but I’m far apart with you on this one. Barring injury, I’ll be shocked if Keon doesn’t have a solid if not outstanding NBA career. JMO, TIFWIW
Well, that would be the "boom" side of the coin, I guess. I just don't see a whole lot of middle ground for him. I have a hard time seeing him carve out a Josh Richardson type career. I think he'll either develop, offensively, and be a really good player for 10 years, or he'll be out of the league in 3-4 years.

Kyle Alexander had a really good game tonight. 6-8 for 15 points, with 8 rebounds, 1 block, and 1 steal. He's been one of their better players in summer league (probably 3rd behind their two way guy and Jalen Smith). I wonder if he might get the other two way spot for them. He's really put on some good weight.

Didn’t they take up like 60% of usage by the end of the season? They each had 26% throughout the year, despite Keon’s effective offensive rating of 97. They should have been the primary options and they were used as such.

VN Store

Back