BasketVols in the NBA

Bone is back up and playing for the Pistons right now. Has a rebound and assist in 6 minutes in the 1st half so far.

Reactions: Freak
What is a contract buyout? Pay him the balance of the current contracted amount then he’s free to sign a new contract with other teams?

What is a contract buyout? Pay him the balance of the current contracted amount then he’s free to sign a new contract with other teams?

Yes, except it’s usually not the balance but a negotiation of a number either higher or lower depending on who has the leverage.

They pay an agreed upon amount. It's rarely the full amount but that does happen. Example: If someone gets a buyout and they have 3 years on their deal, they could pay for this season in full and the team doesn't have to pay the other 2 years at all but the player is free to sign a new deal elsewhere. Another example and what I would guess is the deal with McRae: (these numbers are randomly chosen by me) is if JM is owed $1M the rest of the season, they would pay what he isn't expected to get with another team this season. So if he was going to sign with the Suns for $800k the rest of the season, then they'd buy him out for $200k. The last example is if he was waived, a team would claim him on waivers where they essentially just take over the rest of his remaining contract. The benefit for that is getting certain early bird rights for players that allow you a better chance to re-sign them with benefits for the team's cap.

Yes, except it’s usually not the balance but a negotiation of a number either higher or lower depending on who has the leverage.
Sorry for my ignorance on this topic, but how does anyone have any leverage over the player for the remaining guaranteed time left on their contract?

VN Store

Back