BasketVols in the NBA (Pros)

It certainly isn't bad but his coaches have specifically called out that he needs to show an ability to hit the outside shot. He hasn't hit one.

Considering his size, he needs to have a perimeter game to find consistent playing time in the NBA. I think he will get there, but he certainly needs to be solid from the perimeter to have staying power.

His outside shot was solid while at UT?

Yes, but it sounds like he is struggling now. I guess he is having a hard time adjusting to the perimeter being farther back or maybe it’s just a small sample size issue and he’ll be completely fine long term. Who knows. I was just making a statement that he probably needs to be an efficient outside shooter to make himself stay in the league.

Reactions: walkenvol
It certainly isn't bad but his coaches have specifically called out that he needs to show an ability to hit the outside shot. He hasn't hit one.

His 3p shooting was hard to trust when he was hitting 61% of free throws, which is a better predictor of NBA shooting. He shot even worse than that for the Grizz and in the G league. Not sure it's in the cards for him.

Reactions: Namorto1
Julian Phillips had 16 in his Chicago bulls summer league debut. As a bulls fan I’m not sure what to expect from him. He’s for sure a project but has elite athleticism

His 3p shooting was hard to trust when he was hitting 61% of free throws, which is a better predictor of NBA shooting. He shot even worse than that for the Grizz and in the G league. Not sure it's in the cards for him.
It sometimes never clicks for guys translating to the speed and athleticism of the NBA game.. Its possible he no longer has the same time to take a shot.. He showed glimpses of being a good 3pt shooter before he hit his “freshmen wall” during SEC play.

Philips giving Bulls fans the full experience: airball, missed alley oop, bricked free throw countered by 3/3 from 3, nice aggressive offensive rebounding, slashing to the lane, 16pts on 8 shots. Overall very nice game from him.

Jaden Springer balled out, last night. 14 points, 5 boards and a highlight block on a failed Tatum dunk. I know it's preseason, but Springer may get a little more PT, this year.
Maybe with Doc gone he gets some more PT but idk bc they signed Patrick Beverly and Kelly Oubre so there's kind of a log jam at the guard position. Crazy to think about but Jaden just turned 21 a few weeks ago. Seems like he's been gone forever. Him and Keon came in the year after Santi and JJJ, which sounds crazy.

Do you think he ends up overseas ?
It is certainly a possibility, but I'm not sure if that ends up being the case. He already got a guaranteed contract from Memphis, and he's owed $3.7M through '25, if I understand correctly. The Nets still have a two-way spot open, so I'm sure he's holding out for that. All things considered, I'm leaning more toward he stays in the States for the '23-24 season.

Last edited:
Reactions: 508mikey

VN Store

Back