Basketball Team is #1

The desperation for a good football team makes people think all kinds of crazy stuff..

Wins over Alabama, West Virginia, Missouri, Georgia, Vanderbilt, Florida, and South Carolina is the seven games we lost in football. 7 and 0 in basketball. We have a chance to make that 11 and 0 as we play four of them again.

Reactions: 08Vol
37c6a76b2ef7f7542583be639b1462b4.jpg
Ok, I don’t want to gross anybody out.
So, if you have a weak stomach, please stop reading.

This post reminded me of a traumatic childhood moment.
I was 7 and my 14 year old brother told me I had to come see something amazing.
Not only did he show me his creation, he lifted me up and turned me upside down and put my hair onto it and then flushed. He called it a “shi**y swirlie”.

After screaming 😱 and running to my mother (who didn’t believe me), I vowed that this person (my only sibling) would someday pay for this.
Many years later, I’m still working on my perfect moment of revenge.
It has to be very painful.
Unfortunately, I’m not a mean vengeful person and haven’t come up with the perfect scenario yet. But, I hate that SOB still to this day. I hope he burns in hell.

While I agree, he hasn't had to do it without top 10 (maybe top ~7) talent and as a HC (he now has to dictate the offense too...).

His quote after playing Vandy about how he called the same plays as he did the year before with Bama shows he has a lot of room to grow and learn. I mean...he seemed shocked the same plays with different players and much less talent didn't work all the same. He also says 3-4 def coaches could call the game for us. And off coords sometimes don't matter. I'm just not sure how much he values schemes and development. And that is the Saban school - outtalent everyone through recruiting. But that aint likely to happen here.

I highly respect what he's done at Bama, fsu, uga, but this is a different ball game he's in now.
Touche'. Good points.

Not only did he show me his creation, he lifted me up and turned me upside down and put my hair onto it and then flushed. He called it a “shi**y swirlie”.

After screaming 😱 and running to my mother (who didn’t believe me), I vowed that this person (my only sibling) would someday pay for this.
Unfortunately, I’m not a mean vengeful person and haven’t come up with the perfect scenario yet. But, I hate that SOB still to this day. I hope he burns in hell.
Your brother is a psychopath and your best bet is to delete his phone number.

Everyone runs in to someone like that at some point in their lives. Sorry you were that young and it was your brother.

Your brother is a psychopath and your best bet is to delete his phone number.

Everyone runs in to someone like that at some point in their lives. Sorry you were that young and it was your brother.

If only I could.
We both care for my mother with Alzheimer’s and he is her power of attorney.
Once she dies, I will basically be thru with him.
He is a dry drunk with three failed marriages.

Man, just kick him in the balls and move on. Lol

And they got there with (mostly) players that almost no one wanted. Football is slightly different, but when was the last time we had a 3* player turn into an All SEC Player. (Bad example OP what about Cam Sutton). My general point is the basketball team is performing above the level they've recruited. While the football team is consistently in the top 15 range of recruiting ranking but drastically under performs on the field.

Rant Over....

They got their with 3 star players. Not players no one wanted. Look at their offer lists. Do a little research before you start a stupid thread. Pruitt is starting his second year so we really don’t know how his players will perform.

In reality, you need a coach that can do both...recruit top-shelf talent no doubt...but also be able to identify and develop those other recruits, too.

Football requires a lot of players to contribute. It is hard to have a 4-5* player at every position. Good coaches develop at least some 3* players to play like 4-5* players.

Reactions: VolinMC
That's the difference in elite coaching. Hopefully Pruitt gets us there.
Yep. What we did for basketball is hire a guy who had some past success as a head coach at another big school, which is something we haven't done in football since Fulmer was fired.

What's funny though is that due to the difference in expectations, if we hired a guy who had some good seasons at another big school, but it more recent years had fallen off and was generally thought to have underachieved at his previous job, we'd think he wasn't good enough for our football program. If we hired a guy with a Rick Barnes-like resume to coach football, I bet most of our fans would call him a stale, underwhelming, retread hire.

But since basketball has lower expectations, we accepted Barnes, and it has paid off tremendously.

Barnes is a real coach.

Hope Pruitt can be, but his immsense reliance on recruiting scares me. When he said he was gonna recruit over peeps (not coach them up??) seems like a red flag.

Another red flag is that he isn't tearing the cover off the ball in recruiting either.

Solid but unspectacular isnt going to get it done in the SEC anymore in terms of recruiting.

Barnes is a real coach.

Hope Pruitt can be, but his immsense reliance on recruiting scares me. When he said he was gonna recruit over peeps (not coach them up??) seems like a red flag.
In the context of what Pruitt said, in fairness, he mentioned recruiting players that want to be here and put in the work. Didn't it sound more like a jab to current players effort than talent?

That’s fair, but that Auburn D Line was nasty too.

Very true. No one player can take you all the way... But, occasionally you get someone that is so talented that all the focus is put on them and it elevates everyone around them to a level they would not have been if it were not for the super talented player. Newton was the first person to come to mind. Peyton also comes to mind.

Football is the ultimate team sport, but if ever one player willed a team to the National title it was probably Cam.
Yep. Football is way more of a team sport than basketball or hockey (probably not baseball), but IMO Auburn might've lost 4 regular season games that year if it wasn't for Cam. Auburn's defense that year was OK, not great. I think people remember it as being better than it was because they did play extremely well in the title game against Oregon. And of course Cam drove their entire offense.

Yep. Football is way more of a team sport than basketball or hockey (probably not baseball), but IMO Auburn might've lost 4 regular season games that year if it wasn't for Cam. Auburn's defense that year was OK, not great. I think people remember it as being better than it was because they did play extremely well in the title game against Oregon. And of course Cam drove their entire offense.

I think the other best example is Vince Young.

I think the other best example is Vince Young.
Initially wanted to say that he perhaps carried a team more than Cam did, but look at the point totals surrendered by Texas that year. The only game where their defense got thrashed was the title game itself - Vince absolutely willed them to win that single game. Many other games - Oklahoma, #24 Colorado, #7 Texas Tech, Colorado again in the Big 12 title game...they allowed 17 points or less. I didn't remember their defense playing that well, probably because all anybody talked about was VY.

VN Store

Back