Basketball Statistics Question

Hexad Vol

Does anyone know how to find out a team's points per non-turnover possession?
With the Lady Vols' rebounding numbers, I would think they rank highly in that category. Therefore, of course, reducing turnovers would make a major difference in wins & losses.

With the Lady Vols' rebounding numbers, I would think they rank highly in that category. Therefore, of course, reducing turnovers would make a major difference in wins & losses.

Yes, those attacking Kellie's offense aren't taking offensive rebounds and second half points into account.

Two categories usually determine possessions during a game offensive rebounds and turnovers. You can add your teams offensive rebounds and opponents turnovers versus the opposing teams total and you will see what team is controlling the possessions and shot attempts at goal. The only time a team with the lesser total could ever have less shots at goal would be their ability to get to the free throw line. The Lady Vols would've controlled the most shot attempts in almost every game if they hadn't been so turnover prone.

Thanks for the answers. Where do you find the number of possessions; I don't see that in the usual box scores?

I guess my definition of the end of a possession is when the other team gains possession, therefore an offensive rebound does not get you another one.

I guess my definition of the end of a possession is when the other team gains possession, therefore an offensive rebound does not get you another one.
poss = FGA + 0.5 x FTA - ORB + TO

You will have to figure it yourself using a boxscore.

Reactions: Dak1219
Volfan2012, is that an official definition? If so, an offensive rebound would produce another possession. That's not what I am looking for; maybe I need to use the term "trips down the court" or something because I think getting 3 offensive rebounds before finally scoring is one successful possession.
Maybe I could use FGM + TO + (.5 x FTA) + opponents DRB. This would allow for multiple missed shots where you get an offensive rebound before one of the other four events occurs.

Reactions: Volfan2012
Volfan2012, is that an official definition? If so, an offensive rebound would produce another possession. That's not what I am looking for; maybe I need to use the term "trips down the court" or something because I think getting 3 offensive rebounds before finally scoring is one successful possession.
Maybe I could use FGM + TO + (.5 x FTA) + opponents DRB. This would allow for multiple missed shots where you get an offensive rebound before one of the other four events occurs.
I don't know if there would ever be a way to determine that since sometimes free throws are the result of an orb in the same court and turnovers sometimes happen in the same court. Maybe there is a way to determine trips down the court don't know how sure someone counts them but it is never included in boxscore as possessions regardless of how they occur is the stat most are interested in.

Don't forget steals. Maybe jump balls, too?

I've always wanted a stat such as time-of-possession in football, but that's just too difficult to keep up with, I guess. There can be multiple changes-of-possession during one trip down the court, for example, and the game is so fast that stats are easily missed & mis-attributed. When will we have robots with perfect AI programming to finally give us a well-called game with gigabytes of stats to pore over?

VN Store

Back