Basilio Still Thinks Pruitt is Likely Gone

We'll see who is right. Basilio has been wrong. Like some of you, he considered Pruitt an "A" grade hire after all.

Don't see how you can bring back a head coach you've just kneecapped in an investigation.

Bringing him back would be the equivalent of being the Black Knight in a Monty Python movie:

20180904095517-8b3682b1.gif

We're not moving forward in that scenario. Matter of fact we're not going anywhere. Just stuck in defeat.

This is why Bald Battle has to go.

Reactions: 65YearsAVol
Pruitt will be here next year I think. As a coach he undoubtedly knows football. As a motivator and jelling presence maybe not so good. We still have talent on the team and I expect a winning season next year.

Reactions: miket4god
It doesn't have to be L1 violations to get rid of him. Blake T. dug into his contract language and it appears he can be ousted for cause without those L1 violations.

It's a single level 1 or level 2, or more than one level 3. Level 4 are the self reported doodads every AD reports every season. Level 3 are usually minor that may cost a scholarship or limit recruiting visits, Level 2 is failure to monitor level in fractions are are usually more than 1 scholly and other restrictions such as limited recruiting visits, bowl ban for a year, level one is lack of institutional control level stuff that costs multiple schollys, post season bans, show causes, AD cleanouts.

Yeah, that's why I think his hire was approved so quickly, and why Steele was eager to come back to UT.

Though, I disagree with him not being ideal. For an interim coach, I think Steele is a primo option. Similar to Ed Orgeron or someone like that. Don't think he'd be a good permanent HC (or at least, I'm not eager to gamble on it), but as a guy who can guide us through the season without everything falling apart, Steele is a great pick.

MUCH BETTER THAN BRADY HOKE!!!

So the admin suddenly has a guy in their back pocket who can take over as HC if Pruitt is fired. And even if Pruitt is fired, it's probably better to look for a coach in December than now.
I guess when I think of him that way I’m not as upset. This could drag out a while longer. Longer it drags out the less likely a decent coach is going to want to come in and take the job late in the cycle and build a staff.

Pruitt will be here next year I think. As a coach he undoubtedly knows football. As a motivator and jelling presence maybe not so good. We still have talent on the team and I expect a winning season next year.
There is no proof of this

Outside of Lady Vols basketball Fulmer has ZERO to do with that. Word around town is Rick Barnes only reports to Boyd and Fulmer has no involvement there. Coach V. was hired by Curie and Fulmer has no involvement there either. So essentially the one thing Fulmer meddles in is in complete shambles, shocker
Word is around town, word from who?

Basilio had John Adams on from the Sentinel today. Some of Adams columns have burned my sausage over the years but them talking about the potential coaches UT may go after today was absolute solid gold. The back and forth of Adams and Dr Sinclair on who admires Doug Marrone more was fantastic (spoiler, neither does). Well worth listening to. Might be the most entertainment I've got about TN football in months.

Except for the multiple national championship defenses he coordinated...

We've seen that Saban and Jimbo can run a successful program just fine and dandy without Pruitt. Hell, Saban had 0 staff members on his team this year vs their last title. It simply doesn't matter who coaches for him, the result is the same. It was that way with Bryant, Neyland etc. Great coaches have great programs no matter how high their assistant turnover is and assistants on those programs are no more likely to succeed than any other assistant. As a rule, many of them are less likely to succeed because the head coach has such a great system and great football mind they make their assistants look way better than they actually are. We see it in the NFL with Belichick assistants too.

Reactions: EZE and bpalmer28
Basilio had John Adams on from the Sentinel today. Some of Adams columns have burned my sausage over the years but them talking about the potential coaches UT may go after today was absolute solid gold. The back and forth of Adams and Dr Sinclair on who admires Doug Marrone more was fantastic (spoiler, neither does). Well worth listening to. Might be the most entertainment I've got about TN football in months.
Better pepper your angus 90% it’s Marrone.

Exactly. A lot of people are on this Fire Phil train, but when he was brought in, it was a complete mess. We had already burned through most if not all of realistic HC candidates at the time. Overall athletics are at the best spot in years. Baseball is back, Lady Vols showing signs, national basketball program, softball still rolling, etc.

Are there some good HC candidates out there this year? Yes. Look at how Auburn and SC went though. I think we've created a league that scares a lot of coaches away. It's 3 years and out. Over and over and over. Then, you can even win a natty and still be out (Gus, Les, and probably Coach O next). Freeze is an exciting option. Gus would be a clear and immediate upgrade, as would Tom Herman. Chadwell is green but is a local guy with a ton of national momentum. Exciting options for sure, but I could easily see us letting Pruitt go and then wind up looking at: Doug Marrone, Jamey Chadwell, and Kevin Steele as our three options. We burned a ton of bridges in the last coaching search.

With all that said, it's hard to sit here and look at last years staff that was a failure. We regressed essentially in all levels. Now, you can sit here with a defensive coaching staff of: Pruitt, Ansley, Steele, and maybe even Rodney G. If, and it's a big if, Pruitt will take a look in the mirror and see a staff that would be and has been well regarded in the SEC and just let them coach. We could very well walk backwards into an 8-4 type of season next year. This is all assuming we find at least an average SEC QB. The defensive coaching staff listed above should be expected to put out a Top 5 SEC level defense.
What did Ansley do that merits kudos? How many interceptions did his secondary have in 2020?

Adams says that Pruitt is "close to the end" & thinks Steele might be the interim HC should CJP be fired. He thinks that the Chancellor, NOT Fulmer, is making the decision. In other words...AAACK!o_O

It was good I agree lol

Reactions: feathersax

VN Store

Back