2022, 2023, & 2024 Baseball Commitments (Merged with the 2018+ Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We don’t agree but BruinVol has been consistent on his line. I think anyone who is saying they were lied to hears what they want and does not understand P5 recruiting. I told mine if you want to play SEC ball you have to compete for a jersey before you get to compete against the other teams. If you can’t win a spot, you need to move on. I think the coaches are really honest but you have to hear what they say not what you want to hear. I disagree with BruinVol that you have to recruit big numbers and know not everyone will stay. Some great HS players will not be able to compete in SEC. they find the level in which they can compete. I blame that on families not coaches. Some don’t do research. I could tell you past rosters for Coach V and Anderson and UT.
I agree that many times it’s the parents fault for not hearing what they need to hear but I can promise you many times they don’t understand the complicated nature of college recruiting so they get overwhelmed. Not all but some for sure don’t know what they need to know

We don’t agree but BruinVol has been consistent on his line. I think anyone who is saying they were lied to hears what they want and does not understand P5 recruiting. I told mine if you want to play SEC ball you have to compete for a jersey before you get to compete against the other teams. If you can’t win a spot, you need to move on. I think the coaches are really honest but you have to hear what they say not what you want to hear. I disagree with BruinVol that you have to recruit big numbers and know not everyone will stay. Some great HS players will not be able to compete in SEC. they find the level in which they can compete. I blame that on families not coaches. Some don’t do research. I could tell you past rosters for Coach V and Anderson and UT.

I agree that many times it’s the parents fault for not hearing what they need to hear but I can promise you many times they don’t understand the complicated nature of college recruiting so they get overwhelmed. Not all but some for sure don’t know what they need to ask

Sorry about that last post glitch

I will agree. I’ve tried to do free college recruiting seminars abd can’t get people to come. Then same people say I wish I had known

Have you watched the uneven baseball documentary I posted last week?

It’s great and one of the most telling quotes in it was Sankey saying “he didn’t want his coaches talking about % to recruits”. There are so many ways coaches can spin those numbers it’s really sad and confusing

Have you watched the uneven baseball documentary I posted last week?

It’s great and one of the most telling quotes in it was Sankey saying “he didn’t want his coaches taking about % to recruits”. There are so many ways coaches can spin those numbers it’s really sad and confusing

Not to interject here, but, oops, I guess I am...

The Doc, Bruin posted, if you are a fan of college baseball, especially SEC baseball, it is a must watch. I have watched it twice, really good and I don’t have skin in the game.

Reactions: BruinVol
I will agree. I’ve tried to do free college recruiting seminars abd can’t get people to come. Then same people say I wish I had known

Yes! The Knights had a recruiting seminar with a JUCO coach, an NAIA coach, a Div III coach, a Div II coach and and Div 1 coach as the panel. Very informative, particularly for upcoming juniors and seniors in high school. All of them said grades were the biggest factor in college baseball because of numbers and that there were Juco and lower division players that had the talent, but there were other factors that placed kids where they are. It's not like football or basketball. The guys that are very talented and can't get into school can still go pro right out of high school. MLB teams will also pay for college tuition so that a kid can get his education in the off season. There's alot of factors that go into it. If it's about education and you're a marginal talent, you're paying alot of travel ball money for very little money. My sidewinder has some SEC kids and kids that got drafted out of high school that he struck out on his resume'. He's still an NAIA talent. The sooner you recognize where you are projected, the better.

Reactions: StarRaider
Vandy is also able to give the potential high draft choice stud a full scholarship since they have a huge endowment to take advantage of the new NCAA rule regarding non-athletic aid (I.e. academic scholarships and financial aid) which no longer counts against the 11.7. It’s enabled a huge competitive advantage and uneven playing field for Vandy and other private schools with relatively small enrollment but huge endowments. Specifically, it should propel baseball powerhouses like Vandy and Stanford for continued success and a big advantage in recruiting.

Last edited:
To further prove my point, Vandy’s endowment is $6.2B while UT sits at $728M. Vandy has the smallest undergraduate population at under 7K students while UT ranks #9 out of the 14 SEC schools at just under 23K students. Interesting, UT tops the SEC with 74% of students receiving financial aid with Vandy coming in 5th with 67%.

To further prove my point, Vandy’s endowment is $6.2B while UT sits at $728M. Vandy has the smallest undergraduate population at under 7K students while UT ranks #9 out of the 14 SEC schools at just under 23K students. Interesting, UT tops the SEC with 74% of students receiving financial aid with Vandy coming in 5th with 67%.

That figure seems really high. I wonder if that includes the Hope Scholarship for the in-state kids. When I was at UT, I remember almost everyone I knew that was from TN had it. That's funded by the lottery system and not a supplement / discount paid for by UT.

That figure seems really high. I wonder if that includes the Hope Scholarship for the in-state kids. When I was at UT, I remember almost everyone I knew that was from TN had it. That's funded by the lottery system and not a supplement / discount paid for by UT.
Yes, it’s includes all federal, local, and state aid which would include HOPE.

Yep. The next step though is convincing guys like House & Burns to go the college route instead of the minors.

Serrano had some highly rated, elite prospects committed (*cough* Mookie Betts *cough*), but he could never convince them to stay.

House is likely gone as he is projected Top-10 and you don't turn that type of money down, but if he could keep a guy like Burns it would go a long way to taking the next step.
Nice selling point for Highschoolers is look at what garret Crochet did out of college. 1st year majors guy and now absolutely dominating in year 2

Reactions: TN_gal and vol66
Tennessee is using the Georgia pipeline to get future prospects.

There's a ton of talent in Georgia and Tennessee. That East Cobb dynasty has been going strong for years. Knights, Exposure and Dulin Dodgers are all in that same quality of talent pool right here in Tennessee.

Reactions: TN_gal
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back