Barnes said he would be at UCLA if buyout was paid

Where in my post did I say money wasn’t at all a factor? I said it wasn’t “all about money”, which it clearly wasn’t.
I agree that it wasn't ALL about money. It was the mystique of UCLA basketball. Unfortunately, it doesn't hold the same mystique for current high school players. Some of them seem to be coming around to the idea that playing at UT is as good as anywhere, and now the coach himself says it's not. Not a good look.

Reactions: landscapingvol
My god look at how miserable he is 🙄

"I'm sure he just made that video for damage control. Everything looks so staged. He isn't genuine at all in any of those interactions. Got all that money he stole from poor Fulmer, and look at him asking for free food. I hate his guts, now."

- 1/3 VN posters, probably

I agree that it wasn't ALL about money. It was the mystique of UCLA basketball. Unfortunately, it doesn't hold the same mystique for current high school players. Some of them seem to be coming around to the idea that playing at UT is as good as anywhere, and now the coach himself says it's not. Not a good look.
Except he didn't say that. He didn't even imply that.

Reactions: butchna and Alto1
Bill Justus bringing it on Doug Mathews! Reflected on an Admiral Schofield interview and how it indicated a culture shift for the entire university sports programs because of Barnes. We have a good one and that’s why you do what you have to do to retain him.

Never denied that. But none of Barnes recruits, thus far, have reached that level. I suspect AS would have been a great player with DT as coach. Barnes can’t pour that kinda drive in someone.

While we can "suspect" what might have happened all day long, with Barnes we know what happened and Schofield's dad summed it up pretty well:

"“Coach Barnes, being selected to come in and head the men’s basketball team and take him, take what he had, the cards that he was dealt with, and turn it into what it is today is truly amazing,” Anthony said. "

Reactions: Vols410 and butchna
Bill Justus bringing it on Doug Mathews! Reflected on an Admiral Schofield interview and how it indicated a culture shift for the entire university sports programs because of Barnes. We have a good one and that’s why you do what you have to do to retain him.

You will have to pardon what seems to be far too many Vols fans...they have forgotten what it's like to have a real successful and marketable head coach on the Hill. It seems some of us only know how to complain and be "offended"...hopefully, we can collectively recover and snap out of this battered fan syndrome way of thinking.

"I would be at UCLA if not for the buyout," does indeed imply that, to Rick, being at UCLA is better than being at UT.

Your simply using your opinion and try to pass off as a fact. YOU think he is implying that...........and he certainly is t saying it. If someone says anything, and anyone says “they meant this or that” or “they were implying this.” That is simply their own opinion and can only become a fact if they have other first hand information (if the sayer told you “well I did say this but I meant that”).

Reactions: butchna
Fulmer wouldn’t have left TN for all the riches in the world. He may have made some poor hiring choices and been too scared to change but that man was loyal to his school.

Not all top coaches are guns for hire!
These are different times and you completely missed the point.

Reactions: vollygirl
Your simply using your opinion and try to pass off as a fact. YOU think he is implying that...........and he certainly is t saying it. If someone says anything, and anyone says “they meant this or that” or “they were implying this.” That is simply their own opinion and can only become a fact if they have other first hand information (if the sayer told you “well I did say this but I meant that”).
How silly. By that definition nothing could ever possibly "imply" anything else. Could "I would be at UCLA if not for the buyout" imply that Rick thinks UT is a better job than UCLA? Of course not. It "implies" that he thinks UCLA is a better job than UT. Vollygirl said, "It didn't even imply that." It did. He's picking between two schools. He clearly would pick the other, were it not for the buyout. That's what he was reported as having said. We communicate things we don't intend sometimes, or, in other words, there are implications to our words that may not be intended. The implication of saying that, save for the buyout, I would leave your school for another school, which I've already said is a school I hold in high esteem because when I was a young coach the greatest coach ever coached there, is that it's the better gig. At no point does it matter whether he intended to imply that or not; he did imply it.

Reactions: Big time vol
I'm pretty disappointed Barnes is treating UT like a group of 5 school vs. a power 5 school, like UT is just a stepping stone to something better.

Barnes is in a similar situation to me. Getting a little "long in the tooth" for a stepping stone scenario. I think it may be the allure of what John Wooten did there. UCLA still has a blue blood basketball reputation, at least with my generation. Perhaps this is the same allure that Kiffen had when USC offered the job. I see a lot of parallels.

How silly. By that definition nothing could ever possibly "imply" anything else. Could "I would be at UCLA if not for the buyout" imply that Rick thinks UT is a better job than UCLA? Of course not. It "implies" that he thinks UCLA is a better job than UT. Vollygirl said, "It didn't even imply that." It did. He's picking between two schools. He clearly would pick the other, were it not for the buyout. That's what he was reported as having said. We communicate things we don't intend sometimes, or, in other words, there are implications to our words that may not be intended. The implication of saying that, save for the buyout, I would leave your school for another school, which I've already said is a school I hold in high esteem because when I was a young coach the greatest coach ever coached there, is that it's the better gig. At no point does it matter whether he intended to imply that or not; he did imply it.

All it implies is given his demands (which were not met) he would have left. Nothing more. By him returning its also easily argued that he believes the UT job to be better for him.

The devil is in the details. Those details determine whether a good job is actually great or not as good as it could be.

Is UK a better job (in general) because it pays 8+ mil a year to it's current coach? Is it not as good a job because that comes with a different level of pressure and expectations that can get you fired pretty quick? If 5 mil a year was their limit, would the job be just as good?

The details matter. He wasnt willing to leave UT for UCLA because of them.

Last edited:

Lol.......if anyone says something and I say they were implying something else, no matter what it was........that is merely my opinion. If Barnes didn’t say it, but you say he implied it.......that is certainly and only your opinion. One can say they were implying this or that but that doesn’t make it fact. One can interpret it a different way..........but it still doesn’t make it true or a fact..........the interpretation would still be an opinion.

Barnes is in a similar situation to me. Getting a little "long in the tooth" for a stepping stone scenario. I think it may be the allure of what John Wooten did there. UCLA still has a blue blood basketball reputation, at least with my generation. Perhaps this is the same allure that Kiffen had when USC offered the job. I see a lot of parallels.

Very possible. Him being the age he is played a part. That's a better opportunity for him after Texas or even earlier more so than 4 years removed.

All it implies is given his demands (which were not met) he would have left. Nothing more. By him returning its also easily argued that he believes the UT job to be better for him.

The devil is in the details. Those details determine whether a good job is actually great or not as good as it could be.

Is UK a better job (in general) because it pays 8+ mil a year to it's current coach? Is it not as good a job because that comes with a different level of pressure and expectations that can get you fired pretty quick? If 5 mil a year was their limit, would the job be just as good?

The details matter. He wasnt willing to leave UT for UCLA because of them.
But I don't have to decide which details mattered, because he told us what specific detail mattered. It was going to cost him money before it made him money so he didn't take it. He said that. His answer to the question, "What if they had payed the buyout?" was, "I think I would have been the coach at UCLA. I really felt at that time that that’s what would have happened. In my mind that’s what I was thinking." That was the deciding factor for him. That's not an interpretation. And your stuff about what might make one job better than another is completely irrelevant to the discussion. I say that it couldn't be clearer that his statement implies that he considers the UCLA job a step up. If he had said something like, "UCLA came calling, I listened, but in the end I preferred where I am," you folks would have a case. But that's not what he said. He said that the single deciding factor was that UCLA wouldn't pay the buyout.

Now, here's my sidestep: all I've said is that that is what he communicated to potential recruits. For my money, I'm very glad to have Rick, and having grown up as a John Wooden fan myself, I have no problem with him considering an offer from UCLA, nor of him thinking it's a higher prestige job than UT. I happen to believe that it is as well.

And, just as a by the way: even given all this, I also have no problem with Rick saying God wants him to be at Tennessee. I think that God often directs us through circumstance, so, unlike the mockers on here, I do believe that Rick prayed fervently about this (as he said he did), and that God's answer may well have come with UCLA's unwillingness to pay the buyout.

Lol.......if anyone says something and I say they were implying something else, no matter what it was........that is merely my opinion. If Barnes didn’t say it, but you say he implied it.......that is certainly and only your opinion. One can say they were implying this or that but that doesn’t make it fact. One can interpret it a different way..........but it still doesn’t make it true or a fact..........the interpretation would still be an opinion.
And I say that's just your opinion on the matter.

Since, by definition, implication means something not explicitly stated, all you're actually saying is that implication is never valid. Thank goodness our court system disagrees with you.

Anyhow, I've made my case and have no desire to get the last word, so you folks can go ahead and enter your closing arguments, and I'll go elsewhere.

But I don't have to decide which details mattered, because he told us what specific detail mattered. It was going to cost him money before it made him money so he didn't take it. He said that. His answer to the question, "What if they had payed the buyout?" was, "I think I would have been the coach at UCLA. I really felt at that time that that’s what would have happened. In my mind that’s what I was thinking." That was the deciding factor for him. That's not an interpretation. And your stuff about what might make one job better than another is completely irrelevant to the discussion. I say that it couldn't be clearer that his statement implies that he considers the UCLA job a step up. If he had said something like, "UCLA came calling, I listened, but in the end I preferred where I am," you folks would have a case. But that's not what he said. He said that the single deciding factor was that UCLA wouldn't pay the buyout.

Now, here's my sidestep: all I've said is that that is what he communicated to potential recruits. For my money, I'm very glad to have Rick, and having grown up as a John Wooden fan myself, I have no problem with him considering an offer from UCLA, nor of him thinking it's a higher prestige job than UT. I happen to believe that it is as well.

And, just as a by the way: even given all this, I also have no problem with Rick saying God wants him to be at Tennessee. I think that God often directs us through circumstance, so, unlike the mockers on here, I do believe that Rick prayed fervently about this (as he said he did), and that God's answer may well have come with UCLA's unwillingness to pay the buyout.
Oh it's relevant. Is UK a better job to Cal now that hes making 8+ for life and not the 4 or 5 he come for? UCLA thinks so. Somebody forgot to tell them he had gotten a substantial raise.

I dont see where "hey, I listened to their pitch but I ve decided to stay." Is all that different from, "hey I listened to their pitch, didnt like what they were doing with the buyout, so I'm staying". Unless listening alone implies you think that job is better.

He listened in both cases to see how the details may or may not change his opinion. The fact they wouldnt take care of the buyout changed his perception of the job as it relates to him. Had it not he would be in LA right now.

VN Store

Back