Barnes said he would be at UCLA if buyout was paid

As reported publicly, including on VN, that is correct.

The relevant publicly stated sequence of events:
1. Barnes is offered the UCLA job
2. Close to a done deal and will be announced soon
3. Contract is held up due to stalled negotiations with the buyout. UCLA doesn't want to pay it as Barnes wants them to.
4. UT ups the ante with a new offer.
5. Barnes accepts and stays with UT.

Now for those who have emotions too fragile to allow them to see the obvious here I'll connect the dots. If number 3 doesn't happen numbers 4 and 5 can't happen. Maybe a simpler translation: if UCLA agrees to pay the buyout, then the contract is signed and we never up the ante which kept him here. We already knew that. Those were the facts as already reported. There was nothing new or sinister in anything CRB said.
Thanks.

If Barnes comments are legit in regards to the buyout, it looks more like he either just didnt like the entire deal financially from UCLA or he took offense to the idea they balked at paying his buyout. .

UT stepping up almost sounds more like insurance and not part of the reason he stayed.

Reactions: OrangenSC
"Yeah, we know. You re still here. We're looking for the specifics as to why. Its sorta what we do."

"We'll run with your quote that you couldn't "work it out" to leave and see how that pans out with the speculation since apparently you were trying to get out. Thanks coach"
Good try but that’s not what happens. He didn’t handle it the best way. Period. Had he handle that press conference differently, people would feel differently. Media went with what he said nothing more nothing less.

Good try but that’s not what happens. He didn’t handle it the best way. Period. Had he handle that press conference differently, people would feel differently. Media went with what he said nothing more nothing less.

Lol.

The media went with what he said because he told them what many wont comment on in a fact based way. The idea that the media and fans wont try and put the missing pieces together is silly.

This thread is evidence alone.

I'm a bit amazed UCLA was too cheap to pay the buyout and wanted Barnes to do so. Seems rather penny wise pound foolish.

Reactions: Lurker
I just can't fathom how a program like UCLA lost out on multiple coaches because they wouldn't pay a buyout. That's crazy to me. Willing to pay 5M a year but not the 5M buyout? That's odd.

I don't read too much into the comment, but those expectations just shot up through the roof. Just making the tournament isn't going to be enough now.

Reactions: Big time vol
God gave humans the ability to reason for a reason. If he needed to send signs for every decision in our lives, he’d given us the same brain he gave other creatures. Barnes reasoned paying $1.4mil in taxes on money he never deposited didn’t make sense. Not sure that’s a sign as much as it’s the ability to reason.

No, God gave humans reasoning because we were his children.......the reasoning separates us from animals. God certainly wants us to call upon him........for anything and everything. As I posted yesterday, can’t remember the verse, but certainly verifiable: “lean unto the Lord and not to thy own understanding”

I just can't fathom how a program like UCLA lost out on multiple coaches because they wouldn't pay a buyout. That's crazy to me. Willing to pay 5M a year but not the 5M buyout? That's odd.

I don't read too much into the comment, but those expectations just shot up through the roof. Just making the tournament isn't going to be enough now.

To me makes it worse they were willing to pay some of the buyout. I had heard “most” but they didn’t specify how much that was. So they lost two coaches they wanted over part of a buyout.

Reactions: UTwild82 and Lurker
No, God gave humans reasoning because we were his children.......the reasoning separates us from animals. God certainly wants us to call upon him........for anything and everything. As I posted yesterday, can’t remember the verse, but certainly verifiable: “lean unto the Lord and not to thy own understanding”

Thank you, Reverend

I'm a bit amazed UCLA was too cheap to pay the buyout and wanted Barnes to do so. Seems rather penny wise pound foolish.

I can’t speak on the TCU coach cause his buyout was $8 mil but UCLA was going to pay Barnes the $4mil for his. Barnes balked cause he’d had to pay $1.4mil in taxes on the $4mil buyout money UCLA was going to pay. I don’t know the reason why UCLA wouldn’t just pay Tennessee the $4mil direct but they chose not to.

Reactions: MSCE09
Thank you, Reverend
No problem, but I’m not a preacher.

One can give a “God” explanation using opinion, or one which is biblical. Believe or not (although I hope people will believe) it’s always best to follow the rule book.

No problem, but I’m not a preacher.

One can give a “God” explanation using opinion, or one which is biblical. Believe or not (although I hope people will believe) it’s always best to follow the rule book.

“Lean on him” can have different meanings. I think God expects us to use his principles in decision making, not wait for “signs”. But that’s just me.

I thought the same thing, and they did it with both he and Dixon. They settled for the 4th or 5th choice over a drop in the hat to their overall athletic budget over 6 years.

“Lean on him” can have different meanings. I think God expects us to use his principles in decision making, not wait for “signs”. But that’s just me.

I also do not personally believe we should “wait for signs.” I have stated so in this thread.......but many Christians do (although I do believe God can give people signs) God wants us to actually lean on his teachings, lean on prayer, and not simply what we think or what we want.

Every day we have problems. We do not have “infinite” wisdom, we see an answer or a solution to the problem.............maybe we see two or three..........however God can see infinite solutions. He is not narrow minded like we are and he doesn’t wear blinders like we do.

Lol.

The media went with what he said because he told them what many wont comment on in a fact based way. The idea that the media and fans wont try and put the missing pieces together is silly.

This thread is evidence alone.
In my answer there were no missing pieces. You made it seem as if there were because it helps your argument. Nobody is saying he should plead the 5th. We are saying the words he chose were a slap in the face. It’s possible to say the same thing several ways unless you’re a child. That concept seems lost on some.

In my answer there were no missing pieces. You made it seem as if there were because it helps your argument. Nobody is saying he should plead the 5th. We are saying the words he chose were a slap in the face. It’s possible to say the same thing several ways unless you’re a child. That concept seems lost on some.

If the reporters already know you didn’t go because of the buyout negotiation break down, simply put you didn’t go because they weren’t paying all of the buyout, when asked “would you be at UCLA if they had payed the buyout” what “other” way would you answer.........so it wouldn’t “be a slap in the face?”

If the reporters already know you didn’t go because of the buyout negotiation break down, simply put you didn’t go because they weren’t paying all of the buyout, when asked “would you be at UCLA if they had payed the buyout” what “other” way would you answer.........so it wouldn’t “be a slap in the face?”
“I chose to stay because I feel this is where I’m supposed to be.”

I like that answer, and maybe he should have said that. It would also be truthful as he said God answered his prayers through the buyout. However because it was widely known there would be people trying to contradict him and saying he wasn’t being truthful.

I do like the answer but really it isn’t simply another way to say “I would have been at UCLA” it’s just saying something different.

I can however give you and agree while doing it, one doesn’t always have to be totally specific. Would you be at UCLA if they had paint the buyout? I had prayed and that was my answer from God. If they had paid for it I guess God would have wanted me there.

Many had a prob with it, I didn’t, but it really doesn’t bother me that some do. I also feel that most will get over it soon as even those who were bothered by it prob don’t see it as like a deal breaker or a huge deal. The ones that do are prob simply against Barnes being here anyway.

I like that answer, and maybe he should have said that. It would also be truthful as he said God answered his prayers through the buyout. However because it was widely known there would be people trying to contradict him and saying he wasn’t being truthful.

I do like the answer but really it isn’t simply another way to say “I would have been at UCLA” it’s just saying something different.

I can however give you and agree while doing it, one doesn’t always have to be totally specific. Would you be at UCLA if they had paint the buyout? I had prayed and that was my answer from God. If they had paid for it I guess God would have wanted me there.

Many had a prob with it, I didn’t, but it really doesn’t bother me that some do. I also feel that most will get over it soon as even those who were bothered by it prob don’t see it as like a deal breaker or a huge deal. The ones that do are prob simply against Barnes being here anyway.
I’m not against him being here at all and have loved watching every minute of every game I could but I admit this has put a very bad taste in my mouth. To the point where I begin to view him differently. Maybe I’ll get over it in time, but it’s how I feel currently.

I’m not against him being here at all and have loved watching every minute of every game I could but I admit this has put a very bad taste in my mouth. To the point where I begin to view him differently. Maybe I’ll get over it in time, but it’s how I feel currently.

Wasn’t meaning you.......didn’t mean to misconstrue that. I feel the ones who can’t get over it. Maybe those in another week or two who are still vocal about it.........most of those will prob be people who were already against Barnes.

We’ll see how much everyone appreciates his honesty when it gets back through the grapevine that we missed out on some recruits because this was used as a recruiting tool against us.

Some things you keep in house and don’t elaborate on in the media and other times complete transparency is a positive. This you keep in house. I don’t care if everyone in the AD knows it, you don’t say it publicly in any way that can be misconstrued rightly or wrongly because THIS will be used against us.

We’ll see how much everyone appreciates his honesty when it gets back through the grapevine that we missed out on some recruits because this was used as a recruiting tool against us.

Some things you keep in house and don’t elaborate on in the media and other times complete transparency is a positive. This you keep in house. I don’t care if everyone in the AD knows it, you don’t say it publicly in any way that can be misconstrued rightly or wrongly because THIS will be used against us.

I agree. It's like the drunk driver who is being arrested and the policeman tells him "You said you were married so I won't mirandize you since you already know that anything you say can and will be used against you.". lol

That is essentially what he said, almost exactly, except he chose to supplement it with full disclosure. And that is where his perceived mistake was. He said what everyone already knew, but didn’t want to hear. I get that rubs some people the wrong way. It doesn’t move the needle for me, but that’s just part of what makes us different.

Where I have an issue is with the people that have such a manic reaction to it. The people who cheered his successes, celebrated his decision to stay, and then after his transparency about what/how it came to be, basically said, “Screw you, Rick Barnes...you better win now!”, as if their entire scope of expectation changed because he told them what they should have been intelligent enough to know, already. They act like his being forthright unveiled their eyes to this shrewd, greedy fraud who swindled their beloved university out of money. If you (in the general sense) supported him before that press conference, but you allowed his words to affect your expectations of him going forward, then you are simply being emotional about what amounted to a business decision.

I can at least respect those who were upset with the contract to begin with now being miffed by the comments. They had already decided they were not on board. This only moves to advance that notion in their minds. Personally, I respectfully disagree, but that is another discussion, and one that was hashed out a week ago.

Last edited:
I would say "It didn't work out. I love it here, so I decided to stay."

The media knew before the PC that he turned the offer down and chose to stay. Otherwise they wouldnt there and he wouldnt be there.

The only missing piece to the puzzle was why. The way you phrased it in the bold doesnt lend to the idea that you fielded the call and politely told them you were happy where you were, thanks for the call.

After you couldnt get it worked out the next story is why did it fall through. You either answer the question or leave it open to speculation.

So yes, the way you thought it should be phrased had missing information they re looking for.

That is essentially what he said, almost exactly, except he chose to supplement it with full disclosure. And that is where his perceived mistake was. He said what everyone already knew, but didn’t want to hear. I get that rubs some people the wrong way. It doesn’t move the needle for me, but that’s just part of what makes us different.

Where I have an issue is with the people that have such a manic reaction to it. The people who cheered his successes, celebrated his decision to stay, and then after his transparency about what/how it came to be, basically said, “Screw you, Rick Barnes...you better win now!”, as if their entire scope of expectation changed because he told them what they should have been intelligent enough to know, already. They act like his being forthright unveiled their eyes to this shrewd, greedy fraud who swindled their beloved university out of money. If you (in the general sense) supported him before that press conference, but you allowed his words to affect your expectations of him going forward, then you are simply being emotional about what amounted to a business decision.

I can at least respect those who were upset with the contract to begin with now being miffed by the comments. They had already decided they were not on board. This only moves to advance that notion in their minds. Personally, I respectfully disagree, but that is another discussion, and one that was hashed our a week ago.
Looking back at fan reactions during the season, I'm not a bit surprised at the uproar.
19 game winning streak: Best team in the history of TN basketball.
Loss to LSU : didn't deserve a #1 ranking
Loss to auburn: These guys don't even deserve a 3 seed in the NCAA tourney and some worse.
Loss in SECT game: Out of gas. won't win a game in the NCAA T.
Yadayadayada.
Fickle is as fickle does.

Reactions: Lurker
Looking back at fan reactions during the season, I'm not a bit surprised at the uproar.
19 game winning streak: Best team in the history of TN basketball.
Loss to LSU : didn't deserve a #1 ranking
Loss to auburn: These guys don't even deserve a 3 seed in the NCAA tourney and some worse.
Loss in SECT game: Out of gas. won't win a game in the NCAA T.
Yadayadayada.
Fickle is as fickle does.
Yeah, I’m not overly surprised by it. Just seems silly and irrational.

VN Store

Back