Barnes said he would be at UCLA if buyout was paid

Never. And often they’ll deny even talking to a school or respond w some vague non answer.
UCLA is a college BB Blue Blood, we are not, if he did not at least listen to UCLA, in my opinion that would have been stupid. I do not blame him, i am glad he stayed, Go Big Orange!

Last edited:
Coaching is a business. Barnes didn't attend UT. He didn't grow up a UT fan. UT is strictly his employer. Another employer offered him an opportunity he was interested in. Him wanting the UCLA job doesn't mean that he isn't appreciative of his job and the support he has received here, so stop interpreting it that way. He was more forthright than most would have been about his reasons for not taking the UCLA job, but this is nothing to be mad or offended over.

I have zero problem with Barnes considering UCLA. I took offense to his comment that he’d “be at UCLA” if they’d covered the buyout to his liking. His comment was not business.
It was a professional choice of his in which finances were heavily weighed... what some people would refer to as a "business decision". His comment was pure candor which most people aren't used to from coaches.

Basically, “Jesus told me to stay because UCLA wouldn’t pay the buy out.”
Yep, that rustles my Jimmies.

They may have both been in discussions about the buyout. Barnes prays “God if you want me at UCLA then take care of this, if you want me at Tennessee, then take care of this.”

UCLA wouldn’t take on the buyout, and bam........it’s taken care of.

I’m a God believing, and God fearing man. Many people aren’t and many would say it’s simply a coincidence........and that is fair and fine; however to Barnes is wasn’t and was his answer.

It was a professional choice of his in which finances were heavily weighed... what some people would refer to as a "business decision".

You’re confusing the decision and the comment today. Two completely different things. I just don’t think it was smart of him to say what he did today. Frankly I’d bet Fulmer & Boyd are alittle put back by it. JMO.

They may have both been in discussions about the buyout. Barnes prays “God if you want me at UCLA then take care of this, if you want me at Tennessee, then take care of this.”

I’m a God believing, and God fearing man. Many people aren’t and many would say it’s simply a coincidence........and that is fair and fine; however to Barnes is wasn’t and was his answer.
Well, as someone who has taught bible for 15 years that is some shanty azz theology. Buy a damn rabbits foot.

Agree 100%.

Reactions: JoAllan
It was a professional choice of his in which finances were heavily weighed... what some people would refer to as a "business decision". His comment was pure candor which most people aren't used to from coaches.
I don’t tell my wife she looks fat if she asks. Candor has to be balanced with tact and discernment.
It was a stupid as hell thing to say.

You’re confusing the decision and the comment today. Two completely different things. I just don’t think it was smart of him to say what he did today. Frankly I’d bet Fulmer & Boyd are alittle put back by it. JMO.
I get it. On it's surface, it appears unusually frank and can easily be seen as a sleight to Tennessee... like he might not be fully invested in the success of the program or that his heart is not into the job? Maybe he does need to clean it up some? We don't have much to go on now but what is seen in a tweet.

Reactions: wmcovol
Well, as someone who has taught bible for 15 years that is some shanty azz theology. Buy a damn rabbits foot.

“Teaching bible” is one thing, having faith in its content is another. Yet that is neither here nor there. We all know Barnes is a proclaimed Christian. Therefor he believes if he prays God will answer. Barnes prayed about the buyout, and it was answered...........maybe not to you or many but it was to Barnes.

Reactions: cobbwebb0710
Just my 2 cents. After listening to the whole presser and not just the bits and pieces reporters are quoting, I understand what Coach Barnes is saying about the buyout. I don't understand why everyone is ready to run him out of town. When making a tough decision between two opportunities, you think, prayer, and talk it over with other folks. You look for a sign of whether you should stay or go. I believe he is saying the buyout was the sign that he needed to stay here.

Last edited:
If his buyout is too big for the most deseperate of suitors, then why the **** did we give him a raise? Seems like we are not at risk for schools plucking him away due to the buyout.

I’m a huge Barnes supporter but this is a head scratcher. Also, he better win when it counts now. No excuses.

Just my 2 cents. After listening to the whole presser and not just the bits and pieces reporters are quoting, I understand what Coach Barnes is saying about the buyout. I don't understand why everyone is ready to run him out of town. When making a tough decision between two opportunities, you think, prayer, and talk it over with other folks. You like for a sign of whether you should stay or go. I believe he is saying the buyout was the sigh that he needed to stay here.
Because we live in a fake outrage society. Offend me at your own risk.

You agree that casually throwing the sacred name of Jesus around regarding a $5 million dollar coaching job is a good idea?
Own any good Joel Osteen books?

I believe that God speaks to us in many ways thru my own life experiences. If Barnes prayed that he would end up where God wants him to be, UCLA not paying his buyout may easily have been a sign to him that UT is where God wants him to be. You may not agree with that, and that's fine. And FWIW, I don't buy most of what Joel Osteen's preaches.

Reactions: cncchris33

VN Store

Back