Barnes said he would be at UCLA if buyout was paid

Never denied that. But none of Barnes recruits, thus far, have reached that level. I suspect AS would have been a great player with DT as coach. Barnes can’t pour that kinda drive in someone.

This is true, but the player he became is not on Tyndall. If it’s not on Tyndall I’m not sure how the recruiting argument can be used.

Never denied that. But none of Barnes recruits, thus far, have reached that level. I suspect AS would have been a great player with DT as coach. Barnes can’t pour that kinda drive in someone.
It's easy to just say "x" coach would have done this or that when he never had the chance.
Fact is, AS was a very average player when he got here. His offer list and ranking show as much. He leaves here as a very good player with a chance to make money at it.

And while drive is not something Barnes could give him (no different than any coach), there are a many players with plenty of drive that are still average players.

Where in my post did I say money wasn’t at all a factor? I said it wasn’t “all about money”, which it clearly wasn’t.

BTO, I appreciate your input and knowledge going back through the years with various coaches. I’m not picking a fight. My viewpoint on CRB’s decision, his explanations after “the decision”, and quite frankly the surprise nature of his sudden deep interest in the UCLA job, have given me cause to change my feelings about the man.

At the end of the day, if UCLA pays the buyout directly to UT instead of insisting on making it a signing bonus, then CRB is gone to Cali. That sir, IS ALL ABOUT THE MONEY. CRB can preach about team, community, values, and I don’t care what else. The lone fact remains, had that buyout money come through then UT would be searching for a men’s basketball coach, again.

I think it smells terrible and reflects badly on CRB the man. He’s already a millionaire. And he leveraged that up further at UT’s expense, after the fact. I don’t like it one bit.

Gonna break this into different parts...

BTO, I appreciate your input and knowledge going back through the years with various coaches. I’m not picking a fight. My viewpoint on CRB’s decision, his explanations after “the decision”, and quite frankly the surprise nature of his sudden deep interest in the UCLA job, have given me cause to change my feelings about the man.

Sudden deep interest? Do some googling on Rick Barnes and UCLA/John Wooden, this isn’t some sudden interest, in all likeliness you can probably classify this as his dream job. Why are you, and many others, acting as if Barnes is a born and raised VFL that bleeds orange? He’s not, people need to get that.

At the end of the day, if UCLA pays the buyout directly to UT instead of insisting on making it a signing bonus, then CRB is gone to Cali. That sir, IS ALL ABOUT THE MONEY.

Agree to disagree...Barnes wanted the job, he also went to bed wanting clarity and that meaning there would be no hiccups, when UCLA came back that morning and said buyout was an issue he took that as a sign that it wasn’t meant to be. If it was all about money he wouldn’t have been entertaining UCLA, do the math, $5m in LA or $4.75m in Tennessee? Hmm...

CRB can preach about team, community, values, and I don’t care what else. The lone fact remains, had that buyout money come through then UT would be searching for a men’s basketball coach, again.

Once again, why are you acting as if he was born in Knoxville and bleeds orange? He doesn’t. Sounds to me like you built him to be something he never claimed to be, that is your fault.

I think it smells terrible and reflects badly on CRB the man. He’s already a millionaire. And he leveraged that up further at UT’s expense, after the fact. I don’t like it one bit.

Did he go into Fulmer’s office and say give me x amount of money or I’m leaving? Or did he walk in there and Fulmer say this is what I want to offer you? If you walked into work and your boss offered you a 25% raise would you refuse it because you worried others would think you were there only for money?

At the end of the day, if UCLA pays the buyout directly to UT instead of insisting on making it a signing bonus, then CRB is gone to Cali. That sir, IS ALL ABOUT THE MONEY. CRB can preach about team, community, values, and I don’t care what else. The lone fact remains, had that buyout money come through then UT would be searching for a men’s basketball coach, again.

Given that idea every coach that has ever left a team to go to another job is a hypocrite in regards to team, community, and values.

Does that change if you re on the receiving end of the coach? Sounds like fandom over sense.

Phil has plenty enough sense to sniff out a rat. He had plenty of experience on the other side. He could have easily said "we re good with the current contract as it stands". If your pissed Barnes got a bump you might ought to start with where that come from.

Reactions: MinisterofDef#92
It’s one thing to say Barnes only recruited one player better than Schofield, but across the board, Barnes has upgraded the talent over what Tyndall left him on the whole. Schofield was a very good player. Probably top 12 to 15-ish all-time at Tennessee. It isn’t exactly an indictment of Barnes ability to recruit to say he’s only landed one player better than one of our 15 best ever. It’s also ignorant to ignore the fact that he just signed one of the highest rated recruits in school history, and has another 5* kid committed for 2020. Bone, Bowden, Alexander...all three of those would have upgraded Tyndall’s roster.
As would a healthy Turner.

This is so short sighted. He doesn’t need to recruit anyone better than AS when he has recruited others who have won conference awards. It’s very difficult to recruit 4 all conference players in 4 years. Numbers just don’t work out. I am lost on why this is even an issue.
Because it's a poor attempt at grasping at straws to find something to be negative about in regards to Barnes.

So you couldn’t name 1 player better than what Barnes inherited other than Williams. Hell, I’d hope Barnes could rebuild a roster in 4 yrs better than Tyndall did in one yr. but that still doesn’t ignore the fact other than the 1 yr where CRB signed GW, JB & Co he’s basically struck out on the recruiting trail UNTIL this year. James coming in now for yr 5 does look promising but the roster is going to be thin if GW & JB go pro.
Can you name one player in 15 years that Roy Willians has recruited at UNC that is better than Michael Jordan or James Worthy? Does Roy suck too? How about Tom Izzo? Has he landed anyone better than Magic Johnson? What is the point you're struggling to make?

This is just a pathetic attempt at finding something to complain about. Barnes had nothing to sell his first two years. A program that was on its 4th head coach in 6 years. 2 NCAA investigations and a bout with alleged racism. A real dream scenario for every HS kid. Not a real shock he wasn't raking in the talent. Admiral and Grant both were a set of fortunate circumstances where they were overlooked by 90% of the country. Barnes inherited one and recruited the other, and coached them both into All-Americans. Now he is reaping the benefits of that and general on-court success on the recruiting trail. That isn't some sort of black stain on his ability to find talent. And he's proven he sure as heck can develop it. Not every player is going to develop into all-SEC caliber. Jordan Bone, Jordan Bowden, Kyle Alexander, Lamonte Turner...every single one of those guys have outplayed their perceived talent. That isn't difficult to see unless you are intentionally ignoring it. They don't all have to be regarded as top-15 players in school history to field a strong and competitive team.

I lost you at Roy Williams, 15frickin yrs comparing Smith & Izzo to Donny F.**** Tyndall on players they never inherited and 5 paragraphs. You missed the point by a mile. Move on. Sorry.

Last edited:
It's easy to just say "x" coach would have done this or that when he never had the chance.
Fact is, AS was a very average player when he got here. His offer list and ranking show as much. He leaves here as a very good player with a chance to make money at it.

And while drive is not something Barnes could give him (no different than any coach), there are a many players with plenty of drive that are still average players.

So, you admit Barnes hasn’t recruited a player who’s played better for the University of Tennessee than this “very average” player( your words) in 4 yrs except Grant Williams.

I lost you at Roy Williams, 15frickin yrs comparing Smith & Izzo to Donny F.**** Tyndall on players they never inherited and 5 paragraphs. You missed the point by a mile. Move on. Sorry.
So far, no one has found a valid point to miss, and you've yet to make one that made sense to anyone but yourself, so I won't take great offense to you believing I missed it by a mile.

Reactions: VolGee4 and butchna
So far, no one has found a valid point to miss, and you've yet to make one that made sense to anyone but yourself, so I won't take great offense to you believing I missed it by a mile.

I think he is saying that Tyndall was a great recruiter but Barnes can’t recruit.........but I could be wrong.

Reactions: butchna
So, you admit Barnes hasn’t recruited a player who’s played better for the University of Tennessee than this “very average” player( your words) in 4 yrs except Grant Williams.

Absolutely.

Hes taken severa,l essentially an entire team of average players and developed at least 3 of them into draftable players. 2 of the 3 before they were SRs. And went to the S16 with them.

That's opened the door to signing and top 20 player this year and garnering interest from more that level player.

Reactions: butchna

VN Store

Back