Barnes said he would be at UCLA if buyout was paid

Heard Jeff Goodman in a radio interview today in Memphis. He was asked about Barnes. He said he knew Barnes was just different several years back. Texas had a team that started 17-0 and then went in a tailspin. They ended up like 19-14. They lost a big game against KU, and a bunch of national reporters were in town. After his normal post game PC, Barnes hung around and spent at least an hour with the national guys. Goodman said most coaches would have gotten the heck out of there. Barnes was up front and answered all of their questions.

Goodman said Barnes doesn’t run from anything, and he wasn’t surprised about his comments. He actually said it can be positive for recruiting because Barnes isn’t selling a load of ****. He is always honest and upfront. There was a question and discussion about his comments not making UT fans happy, and the response was basically that he will soon be 65 years old, and he is who he is. There are other very good coaches who don’t really care what everyone thinks about them. Overall, it was a positive outlook on the situation and very interesting from his perspective.

I am sure Barnes is the best coach out there, all things considered not just won loss record. I appreciate his honesty and that single sentence jolted me back to reality. He is still the best coach out there but still only a hired gun, here for the money, everything else is BS.

OK, money is on the table, let's get some recruits and win some games!

It’s not going to happen most likely with Barnes either. Sad truth is in 4 yrs, he’s recruited 1 player (Williams) better than what he inherited from Tyndall (Scholfield)

Yet he has 2 five stars coming in over the next two classes.....

It’s pretty simple stuff really. Barnes leveraged his recent success to his financial advantage quite successfully. This is a shrewd business move on his part if you ask me. He’ll soon be 65 and he’s in the twilight of his career. Good for him.

But make no mistake, prayers or no prayers, Mr. Rick Barnes is all about that money. So Mr. Barnes, don’t preach about loyalty, honor, and values when you’re no different than 99.9% who want more jack. However, most of us 99.9% don't have a boatload full of jack stashed away for generations to come. Today, I see a lot more Osteen than I see “deacon” in Rick Barnes.

Yeah he’s our coach, a good coach, but he’s no different than any other good coach lookin for that money. He played Fulmer like the loyal VFL Fulmer is. I don’t like that. But we’ll see how the worm turns. I hope I’m totally wrong about the situation. But I fear I’m right.

Reactions: Big time vol
I actually don’t think it was all about the money. I know others disagree. I think he was enamored with UCLA, but money is obviously something that comes along with a new offer. When you are in a high leverage situation, money is part of the deal.

So we are just going to make stuff up now?

You wanna start naming players better than Scholfield? Go ahead, I’m interested to see your list considering NO OTHER PLAYER MADE 1st team All SEC except Williams. Feel free to start anytime.

You wanna start naming players better than Scholfield? Go ahead, I’m interested to see your list considering NO OTHER PLAYER MADE 1st team All SEC except Williams. Feel free to start anytime.

Not sure that’s a good argument. Schofield (that’s how it’s spelled) is just one player. Cumulatively, Williams and Bone made all conference teams, and Turner was the conference’s 6th man last year. The way Barnes built the program was through development, which meant having the same players for 3-4 years. Plus, one of his recruits won back to back conference player of the year. Only happened 9 times in the history of the conference.

If Barnes continues recruiting close to that rate, our program will be just fine.

I actually don’t think it was all about the money. I know others disagree. I think he was enamored with UCLA, but money is obviously something that comes along with a new offer. When you are in a high leverage situation, money is part of the deal.

Absolutely. If it was only about money Barnes would’ve used Arkansas’ pursuit prior to UCLA to get a nice raise, but he didn’t.

Yet he has 2 five stars coming in over the next two classes.....
Yeah. Its a slightly different comparison when you consider what Schofield and Williams (specifically) were when they were "recruited" compared to what they ended up being. That got plenty of run over this past year every time they posted the recruiting rankings for this team.

If you want him to start with better talent (by rankings) on the front end which sometimes enables you to skip over a year or 2 of development, your post shows he's starting to do that.

Reactions: JMSqb11
Absolutely. If it was only about money Barnes would’ve used Arkansas’ pursuit prior to UCLA to get a nice raise, but he didn’t.

Sure. It’s all about values, integrity, spirituality, and oh yeah, $3.25 mil/yr isn’t enough to keep CRB from UCLA so bye, or.....ante up $5 mil/yr and he's back to being your VFL man. But it’s not about the money. Come on.

Sure. It’s all about values, integrity, spirituality, and oh yeah, $3.25 mil/yr isn’t enough to keep CRB from UCLA so bye, or.....ante up $5 mil/yr and he's back to being your VFL man. But it’s not about the money. Come on.

Where in my post did I say money wasn’t at all a factor? I said it wasn’t “all about money”, which it clearly wasn’t.

Last edited:
That's an interesting point.

Do we know for a fact that UT needed to pay 4.7 to get him stay?

Not sure that’s a good argument. Schofield (that’s how it’s spelled) is just one player. Cumulatively, Williams and Bone made all conference teams, and Turner was the conference’s 6th man last year. The way Barnes built the program was through development, which meant having the same players for 3-4 years. Plus, one of his recruits won back to back conference player of the year. Only happened 9 times in the history of the conference.

If Barnes continues recruiting close to that rate, our program will be just fine.
Exactly.

It’s one thing to say Barnes only recruited one player better than Schofield, but across the board, Barnes has upgraded the talent over what Tyndall left him on the whole. Schofield was a very good player. Probably top 12 to 15-ish all-time at Tennessee. It isn’t exactly an indictment of Barnes ability to recruit to say he’s only landed one player better than one of our 15 best ever. It’s also ignorant to ignore the fact that he just signed one of the highest rated recruits in school history, and has another 5* kid committed for 2020. Bone, Bowden, Alexander...all three of those would have upgraded Tyndall’s roster.

YOU said Barnes had only RECRUITED 1 player better..........Admiral was the 251’st ranked recruit. So YES you are wrong, Barnes has landed many better “recruits.” Admiral developed into a great player for Tennessee........however what part does Tyndall play in that? And what part does Barnes play?

Reactions: butchna
It’s one thing to say Barnes only recruited one player better than Schofield, but across the board, Barnes has upgraded the talent over what Tyndall left him on the whole. Schofield was a very good player. Probably top 12 to 15-ish all-time at Tennessee. It isn’t exactly an indictment of Barnes ability to recruit to say he’s only landed one player better than one of our 15 best ever. It’s also ignorant to ignore the fact that he just signed one of the highest rated recruits in school history, and has another 5* kid committed for 2020. Bone, Bowden, Alexander...all three of those would have upgraded Tyndall’s roster.

So you couldn’t name 1 player better than what Barnes inherited other than Williams. Hell, I’d hope Barnes could rebuild a roster in 4 yrs better than Tyndall did in one yr. but that still doesn’t ignore the fact other than the 1 yr where CRB signed GW, JB & Co he’s basically struck out on the recruiting trail UNTIL this year. James coming in now for yr 5 does look promising but the roster is going to be thin if GW & JB go pro.

YOU said Barnes had only RECRUITED 1 player better..........Admiral was the 251’st ranked recruit. So YES you are wrong, Barnes has landed many better “recruits.” Admiral developed into a great player for Tennessee........however what part does Tyndall play in that? And what part does Barnes play?

At the end of the career, AS will be better than all of Barnes players on this yrs roster except Grant. Quit trying to twist words. You know what it said. Had NOTHING to do with HS rankings.

At the end of the career, AS will be better than all of Barnes players on this yrs roster except Grant. Quit trying to twist words. You know what it said. Had NOTHING to do with HS rankings.

Tyndall recruited and landed Admiral the “recruit” there is no other way to put it. Admiral certainly developed into a great player........but Tyndall has ZERO do to with Admiral’s development.........but Barnes has a lot to do with it. The player which Admiral turned into has everything to do with Barnes and his staff.

You said “you always listen to offers” but somehow now you’ve lost respect......because he did listen and apparently.......prayed about it?
If I remember correctly, CRB said that if UCLA had paid the buyout, he would be their coach. Somewhere in all of that was a prayer. Did Jesus prevent UCLA from paying the buyout because of CRB prayer? The lack of a buyout is the only reason CRB stayed, period. It was about money, not God. IMHO.

You miss the point. It’s ok. Not everyone understands.

Lebron gets paid $35 million per year. You think he needs that? It’s not always about the money, but it’s part of a contract, and you negotiate in a high leverage situation.

Tyndall recruited and landed Admiral the “recruit” there is no other way to put it. Admiral certainly developed into a great player........but Tyndall has ZERO do to with Admiral’s development.........but Barnes has a lot to do with it. The player which Admiral turned into has everything to do with Barnes and his staff.

Never denied that. But none of Barnes recruits, thus far, have reached that level. I suspect AS would have been a great player with DT as coach. Barnes can’t pour that kinda drive in someone.

Never denied that. But none of Barnes recruits, thus far, have reached that level. I suspect AS would have been a great player with DT as coach. Barnes can’t pour that kinda drive in someone.

This is so short sighted. He doesn’t need to recruit anyone better than AS when he has recruited others who have won conference awards. It’s very difficult to recruit 4 all conference players in 4 years. Numbers just don’t work out. I am lost on why this is even an issue.

Reactions: cncchris33
If I remember correctly, CRB said that if UCLA had paid the buyout, he would be their coach. Somewhere in all of that was a prayer. Did Jesus prevent UCLA from paying the buyout because of CRB prayer? The lack of a buyout is the only reason CRB stayed, period. It was about money, not God. IMHO.

I was referring to something you said......”you always listen to offers.” Ok, if you always listen, and the “right” offer is given, do you take it? If not then why in the world do you “listen to all offers?”

So if the above is the case, money or not why be upset about it? Also I have stated the buyout was the issue so sure $ was the issue; however for Barnes that was his sign..........I’m not saying that, Barnes has said that.......on numerous occasions. Weather we believe it was or not means nothing........because Barnes believes it to be true.

Reactions: butchna

VN Store

Back