Barnes said he would be at UCLA if buyout was paid

Another curious point considering.

If Williams and Bone decide to return after testing interest in the NBA, should anyone question if they want to be here?
It's the NBA, overseas ball or out of the sport for them so totally different scenario. Barnes choice was big money or bigger money.

Reactions: Big time vol
I highly doubt Barnes has said this openly. I have read about this twice, with him almost going to UCLA. I will try and find the links and post when I find them again.

I was a bit ambiguous sry about that. Was answering a question if Barnes felt disgruntled. I did so based on what I had read. Wasn’t supposed to be fact but one possibility.

As UCLA tries to lure Rick Barnes, issues in the Tennessee Athletics Department emerge.
Looks like most of that article isn't exactly true, or at least anymore. I found this quote interesting:

While Tennessee is a good job, UCLA has a history, prestige, resources, and recruiting advantages that the Volunteers simply cannot compete with.

I disagree totally with the bolded. I think that is bullsh!t. They may have basketball history, UT has just as much prestige, resources, and recruiting advantage as UCLA. I would argue possibly more.

Looks like most of that article isn't exactly true, or at least anymore. I found this quote interesting:

I disagree totally with the bolded. I think that is bullsh!t. They may have basketball history, UT has just as much prestige, resources, and recruiting advantage as UCLA. I would argue possibly more.

Yea the only parts I paid much attention to was, the parts about Tennessee assistants, and the “reports Barnes didn’t feel the athletic dept didn’t respect the men’s basketball program enough” and other stuff similar.

If one concentrates on just the Tennessee and Barnes stuff, I think it gave a good argument about why Barnes may have entertained ucla.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
UCLA and the entire California system aren't allowed to break the bank on coaches. Chip Kelly was the 40th highest paid coach in the nation last year. When you factor in cost of living in LA he was closer to 60th in the country. Steve Alford was 33rd in the country in salary but making the equivalent of 65th. California is only paying their coach the equivalent of 550,000 dollars a year. That's why UCLA couldn't afford the full buyout and massive contract offer. It's why they offered less to Cal than he was making at UK. As for resources, UCLA's yearly athletic revenue is on par with Indiana and Mississippi State but they field more sports than most schools so their money is more spread around than other schools.

UCLA has two major advantages, they live in an area where there are 15-20 4 and 5 star players fairly close by every year. Their facilities aren't as nice as Tennessee's and they only even got a basketball practice facility a couple of years ago. UCLA's other is their history of cranking out NBA players. A guy like Barnes remembers Wooden and that's likely why he prefers UCLA to Tennessee, but recruits see Westbrook, Love, Ball etc. UCLA has 17 recent players on NBA rosters right now. We only have 35 NBA/ABA players in our entire history. With only 2 on full time rosters and a 3rd who plays sparingly, moving from D-League to the NBA and back throughout the year.

If Barnes does nothing else, I wish he'd stock the NBA with some of our former players. It's just hard to do without signing 5 stars.

Reactions: sport3500
It's the NBA, overseas ball or out of the sport for them so totally different scenario. Barnes choice was big money or bigger money.
Its a career decision. On both ends.

If they come back after the feed back and get drafted next year, what made that decision for them?

On the other hand, it could go very well with a guy like Cone who values his faith.
Jalen Cone (@J15Cone) | Twitter

I didn’t say anything about his faith, but if it reaches a kid who can identify with his faith that’s great.

I typically won’t speak on someone’s faith unless I feel like it is used in a disingenuous way to justify their actions . I don’t think Barnes did that, I was just pointing out that I thought Barnes overshared and that it could be used negatively towards us. I don’t think that is unreasonable.

Not a good analogy. A millionaire looking to make a sideways-ish move vs kids (one very blue collar) looking to go from nothing to making millions and not risk an injury that would negate that.
Don't disagree in a sense but your also missing the idea that there may be a positive to coming back based on what they are told.

If not, I doubt either would have left the door open.

Yep. But that’s not my issue lol

I get it. Fans get their feelings hurt if another job is considered attractive enough to leave for. Sometime that attraction has enough bells and whistles to make it happen, in this case it had several just not all that was required.

I get it. Fans get their feelings hurt if another job is considered attractive enough to leave for. Sometime that attraction has enough bells and whistles to make it happen, in this case it had several just not all that was required.
Yes you’re right. Just not my issue.

Being in Los Angeles at a P5 school that has a great basketball history is definitely a recruiting advantage. There are 5 kids in the top 75 in 2019 that are within an hour and a half from LA. That doesn't include another from San Diego. In 2020, there are 5 prospects in the top 22, and that doesn't include a kid from Fresno, which is 3 hours away.

How many blue chip prospects are in East TN? Occasionally there is one from Nashville that we will fight Vandy and UK for, and then any NC kids are considering the blue bloods. Atlanta could be promising, but now you are fighting Crean.

It's easy to see who has a recruiting advantage when you compare the two.

Correct.

Don't mind if your interested, don't mind if you even prefer (sketchy), just don't tell me you would if.... Lol
Incorrect on the second. If you prefer then allow me to show you the door. It’s all in word choice on the last which is a simple concept to grasp. We teach that to children daily. And I will always stand by that. You keep missing my point it seems. You’re ignoring what it sounds like to some people just because it doesn’t bother you (social detachment). We think an idea is silly when we don’t understand it. And that’s the difference it seems between you and I. I can understand why he entertained UCLA. I understand him being honest. I can understand why others are upset. Although I understand certain things doesn’t mean I agree with all of it. Life isn’t black and white. There are multiple shades of grey that exist. And that point also applies to how he could have answered the questions in the press conference.

UT basketball doesn't have anywhere near the prestige of UCLA basketball.
UT basketball doesn't have anywhere near the recruiting resources/pipelines that UCLA basketball does.

I must have forgotten where UT has multiple 4-5 stars walking thru the door every single year.....

Reactions: Lurker
Its a career decision. On both ends.

If they come back after the feed back and get drafted next year, what made that decision for them?

This year or next year either way they go and it's clear where they go. None of them want to be at UT or any other school but they all want to be in the NBA 100%. Not much of a decision and no one would fault them for leaving 1 year early. Their choice is no money versus big money.

Incorrect on the second. If you prefer then allow me to show you the door. It’s all in word choice on the last which is a simple concept to grasp. We teach that to children daily. And I will always stand by that. You keep missing my point it seems. You’re ignoring what it sounds like to some people just because it doesn’t bother you (social detachment). We think an idea is silly when we don’t understand it. And that’s the difference it seems between you and I. I can understand why he entertained UCLA. I understand him being honest. I can understand why others are upset. Although I understand certain things doesn’t mean I agree with all of it. Life isn’t black and white. There are multiple shades of grey that exist. And that point also applies to how he could have answered the questions in the press conference.

Who is "me" is said idea?

This year or next year either way they go and it's clear where they go. None of them want to be at UT or any other school but they all want to be in the NBA 100%. Not much of a decision and no one would fault them for leaving 1 year early. Their choice is no money versus big money.
Not even totally sure what the first comment really means.

Yeah I totally disagree with the bold.

To the last idea. There's a reason they both left the door open to come back, so yeah its not all that cut dry. Schofield checked it out last year and returned.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
Not agreeing with you has nothing to do with a lack comprehension. So no, thats not the difference between you and I.

I’m not mad at Coach Barnes at all but this makes plenty sense to me. Hopefully everyone upset can get back on the orange hoops train.

VN Store

Back