Barnes/Officiating Debate

That's not entirely true. One thing Barnes has always said in his testimony is that there was a certain point in his career (I believe halfway thru Texas) that he hit a point where "he wasn't coaching for the right reasons" and that his emotions would sometime get the best of him coaching. He hasn't always been very focused on his faith as a coach until the second half of his Texas career and now here. In my opinion, he has chilled/mellowed out a bit. Is it part to him being on the back stretch of his career? Maybe. Is it him sticking to a new way of coaching that he switched to 10 years ago? Maybe.

Totally fine with his attitude and style of coaching. The one thing that confuses me is during Conference Tourney week and March Madness, everything is multiplied x1000...

I recall Barnes coaching at Clemson. He was NOT as subdued as he is now. His faith has played a lot into his demeanor on the bench. Reminds me of Tony’s Dungy- didn’t use profanity, etc. Now his players say Barnes yells at them so...Barnes says he just raises his voice,lol

BS call, if a Duke player had done it would have been a no call, I thought in a sweet 16 game you would have better officials, also the foul was after the shooter had released the shot, just a horrible call that 99 out of 100 refs don’t make, can’t explain stupid calls, SEC semi game an Auburn player grabs the left arm of the Florida player with no call and we get a leg kick call????

I would compare Richt to Coach Cal even though Cal has a title. No one has done less with more than Cal.....

Think he has had 27 first round picks since UK and only 1 title in 10 years..... Not exactly the UK way...

This kind of stuff embarrasses me as a Vols fan. They’ve been to the elite eight 7 out of 10 years he’s been at Kentucky. The one and done strategy is employed to consistently have a great team- if your goal is to win multiple championships you do what Roy does at UNC or Jay Wright does at Villanova- focus on three and four year players with a smattering of blue chip players. But that means you have a lot of dud years where you aren’t really in contention for the title. Cal has been a legitimate title contender eight of ten years at Kentucky. I’d say if you take his ten years at Kentucky only Jay Wright can claim to have accomplished more.

I compared Barnes to Richt not just for team performance, but also because they are both devout Christians who at times have essentially been called "too nice" to be head coaches at big time schools. I agree that Barnes this year and last didn't follow the Richt mold - Barnes's Tennessee teams haven't been highly recruited. However, his Texas teams were, and despite this year's team not having been highly recruited, it still had lofty expectations because he brought back an entire high-achieving team from last year.

Personally I don't think Cal is as overrated as some think, but that's another convo.

I genuinely don’t understand why some people don’t grasp this point you are making. Putting aside how they were ranked as recruits- Grant Williams was the returning conference player of the year. That’s better than getting a top five recruit because most top five recruits don’t get to that level in college ball. The only top five recruit that played better than grant from this class was Zion. And of the top fifteen players of last years class only one was left to play this year, PJ Washington. Recruiting stars matter a lot in basketball, but the one and done means their impact isn’t the almost perfect correlation between recruiting success and on the field success you see in football. I’m not trying to call anyone out but it seems like a lot of primarily football fans don’t get this. It’s actually not that rare for final four teams to have no top recruits.

I hope next year he goes out there and gets T'd up every single game. Just go out there and punch a ref before the game starts so that they know what's up and that he isn't "soft". I also want him to whine after every single game when the calls don't go his way. Whatever he can do to make and ass out of himself and UT do it please.
So you want him to act like Pearl?

Barnes has the names and pics of the game refs taped on the side of the table right next to him during each game. Obviously he doesn't ignore them and certainly their tendencies have been researched every time TN plays. He has his methods of dealing with issues and it rarely includes screaming and jumping around like a clown when he disagrees with them.

Barnes has the names and pics of the game refs taped on the side of the table right next to him during each game. Obviously he doesn't ignore them and certainly their tendencies have been researched every time TN plays. He has his methods of dealing with issues and it rarely includes screaming and jumping around like a clown when he disagrees with them.
I've learned coaching on a lower level that you have to figure out how to talk to officials. They re people, they re all different, and respond in different ways.

None of them respect straight vinegar all the time.

This kind of stuff embarrasses me as a Vols fan. They’ve been to the elite eight 7 out of 10 years he’s been at Kentucky. The one and done strategy is employed to consistently have a great team- if your goal is to win multiple championships you do what Roy does at UNC or Jay Wright does at Villanova- focus on three and four year players with a smattering of blue chip players. But that means you have a lot of dud years where you aren’t really in contention for the title. Cal has been a legitimate title contender eight of ten years at Kentucky. I’d say if you take his ten years at Kentucky only Jay Wright can claim to have accomplished more.

UK has title expectations every year and that’s what Cal was hired to do. Yet people parade him as Saban of Basketball. Nowhere close.

Which leads me into the point of why do we even have replay in college basketball if we aren't reviewing calls that matter?

I was as shocked as you are that they didn’t at least take a second look at it. Seemed like they didn’t care to look too much into whether the ball had gone out on Edwards the play prior either. Is what it is now I guess it’s just frustrating.

I don't expect Barnes to go nuts during the game at officials. I don't think it's all that effective. Barnes does work the refs, but they just don't do whatever you ask them to. For me it's a simple one time incident where coach sort of in the heat of the moment threw Lamonte under the bus and sided with the officials immediately after the game on national tv instead of just saying it was a tough call or something. In hindsight I think Barnes sees what really happened and feels a little bad about jumping the gun on it. It's over. Everyone's fine now. Life goes on. We still love Barnes. We still love Lamonte. Lamonte and Barnes still love each other.

Reactions: WhiteOakVol
I'm glad Barnes changed his mind on the Turner foul after further revue. I didn't think he fouled him watched it several times. Players kicking a player and getting a foul because of that contact has to stop. We got called on that a couple other times during the season.

VN Store

Back