Barnes has never been good in close games....

His NCAAT record worries me more than close games. Don't think he'll ever get us to a Final 4. Maybe when he retires we can get Bruce back!

No, Barnes is not perfect. Look at some of the other options we have had
Buzz Peterson. Wade Houston. Donny Tyndall??

Counzo wasn’t bad BUT he followed behind Bruce and is what we measured him by

I say for what UT basketball expectations are, he is a home run

Reactions: EZE and tbones0711
Hard to be uber successful in tournament play if you play well one half the game and not so well the other half.

Vols lost the game by trailing almost 20 points. Hard to recover from that.

You use so much additional energy trying to get back to even that the end of game scenarios are much harder to execute.

They missed lots of foul shots. They weren't doing that earlier in the year.

They didn't deserve a win in this game. Purdue is no juggernaut but the Vols found ways to lose to them.

Personally, I am not convinced Barnes can make adjustments during a game. Also, I think he waits to long to call time-out when the opposing team gets on a run.

Reactions: 1985Vols
Apparently you are not dyed in the Bruce wool. You should read this whole thread. There are some compelling, groundbreaking even, theories as to why Bruce is already on the short list of candidates to replace Barens when he retires. 🙄
I've read the entire thread and you're full of it. Pearl will never coach at UT again. Most do not want him and his antics here anyway.

Reactions: EZE
According to prosecutors, Person said: "Don't say nothing to anybody. ... Don't share with your sisters, don't share with any of the teammates, that's very important cause this is a violation ... of rules, but this is how the NBA players get it done, they get early relationships, and they form partnerships."
Neither Person nor his attorney had any comment for reporters after the hearing.

I'll just leave this tidbit as is.

I think Tennessee was 9-4 in games decided by less than 10 points this season.........that’s pretty good in “close games.”

Had Pearl not lied to the NCAA about a freaking BBQ we more than likely would have several Final 4 banners hanging in the rafters at TBA

Speculate much? But I get your point. He was taking the program to so many Final Fours before he was fired. Oh wait....

In fact, his teams were regressing.

You probably pine away for Kiffin too.

Embarrassing.

Reactions: Lurker
Boys & Girls, Bruce Pearl is never coming back. Get over it and move on with your life.

22-8, 24-11, 31-5, 21-13, 28-9, 19-15

This is what people miss so much? I guess people do love inconsistency.

The past two seasons are Tennessee’s best back to back (record wise) since like 2000.

Reactions: papatomany
I think Tennessee was 9-4 in games decided by less than 10 points this season.........that’s pretty good in “close games.”

Don’t you know? Unless you are Bruce Pearl, you aren’t good unless you are undefeated.

Don’t you know? Unless you are Bruce Pearl, you aren’t good unless you are undefeated.

Yes Pearl had great success at Tennessee........if you like inconsistency. He did get his team to Tennessee’s only elite 8, I thought he was a good coach and I liked him while he was here; however I think Barnes is a better overall coach than Pearl...... he just isn’t camera “magic” like Pearl is....... and that don’t mean much to me. I just want to see constant results and from time to time some “on the court and season magic.” For what Tennessee was I think they scored big time in landing Barnes.

Reactions: papatomany and EZE
Their roster as whole was not better than ours. Once again, quit stargazing.

Kansas lost 3 players which accounted for over 36 pts per and over 15 rebounds per........and still managed to get a 4 seed and still managed to go 10-5 down the stretch. How many rosters you know of could do that?

If Tennessee had lost Turner, Admiral, and Alexander for at least 13 games....... mid season and after how would that have gone?

Reactions: papatomany
5 sweets, 2 elites, 1 final 4
7 sweets, 4 elites, 1 final 4

One does should a little better to me.

I was comparing them by years coaching. In Barnes first 15 years (which is what Bruce has total in DIV 1A), the stats are as follows:

Barnes: 2 S16, 0 E8, 0 F4.
Pearl: 4 S16, 2 E8, 1 F4.

One does sound (Im sure thats what you meant) a little better to me.

I was not bashing Barnes, merely pointing out stats.

Speculate much? But I get your point. He was taking the program to so many Final Fours before he was fired. Oh wait....

In fact, his teams were regressing.

You probably pine away for Kiffin too.

Embarrassing.
Embarrassing he took us to the NCAAT every year he coached here an our only Elite 8. Regressing? I don't think so

VN Store

Back