Barnes/English Press Conference Video

LucidZ

Just posting for those interested or haven't seen it yet. Over 30 mins long. May be able to break it down for some people to just read, if you don't have time to watch this.

I knew less than nothing about Kim English when it was announced that he would be our new assistant coach.
But the more I learn about him and the more I hear him speak, the more I like him.
Not sure how long he'll be part of our staff, though.
I have a feeling the poachers will be looking at him in the near future and he seems to have the DNA that turns an assistant coach into a head coach after a few years.

Last edited:
I knew less than nothing about English when it was announced that he would be our new assistant.
The more I learn about him, the more I like him. Not sure how long he'll be part of our staff, though.
This guy seems to have the DNA that head coaches are made of.

Yeah, the more I got into the video the more I thought that English could very well be a head coach one day. He had a lot of great things to say here. Good with his words and good composure. For one, I liked how he brought up the impact of players playing a part in recruiting as Williams was for us. That a good program and trust in their coach can reflect from it's players. I know it's not the ideal way maybe to recruit, but I thought it was important to understand not to underestimate the impact of it.

Also, when I woke up today and checked what was going on with the Vols. I probably jumped too quickly on this whole Barnes situation. When I actually listen to the full thing, without the media breaking it up into bits and pieces...it gives me some clarity and context.

Sounds like maybe Rick took some of those offers up with local restaurants. Saying that in 2 days he felt like he lost 5 pounds, but not to worry that he gained them back.

glad I clicked on thread. was wondering if Rick took up Spanish and I didn't know about it. Looks like he could still suit up for us.

Reactions: LucidZ
I don't know why everyone is losing their mind over what Coach Barnes had to say. I know exactly what he is talking about. You look for a sign to make a decision one way or other on two opportunities you have. This buyout thing was his sign he needed to stay here.

Last edited:
Barnes should leave if he doesnt want to be here

giphy.gif

I knew less than nothing about English when it was announced that he would be our new assistant.
The more I learn about him, the more I like him. Not sure how long he'll be part of our staff, though.
This guy seems to have the DNA that head coaches are made of.
Maybe we can get him to stick around till Barnes retires and he can slide right into the HC spot🤞

My take FWIW, CRB is full of it. His description of why UCLA is intriguing to him rings empty and untruthful. Frankly, without his invoking God into the equation, it came down to dollars. If it weren’t for Fulmer stepping up to fill up Barnes already wealthy bank account, CRB would be at UCLA. Call me anything you want. And I get the whole argument about furthering your career with a better opportunity. However, a 65 year old coach isn’t going to further anything other than his bank account by making that move. UCLA ain’t what it used to be. And my feelings about Barnes ain’t what they used to be.

My take FWIW, CRB is full of it. His description of why UCLA is intriguing to him rings empty and untruthful. Frankly, without his invoking God into the equation, it came down to dollars. If it weren’t for Fulmer stepping up to fill up Barnes already wealthy bank account, CRB would be at UCLA. Call me anything you want. And I get the whole argument about furthering your career with a better opportunity. However, a 65 year old coach isn’t going to further anything other than his bank account by making that move. UCLA ain’t what it used to be. And my feelings about Barnes ain’t what they used to be.

I believe he was being completely honest. If he was going to be dishonest it would have been at the point he was asked how close he was to taking the UCLA job.

Reactions: FlVols

Well. There is a lot to dissect here.

But, basically, coaches are in an open market like other employees. None of them, and I mean NONE of them, succeed and deliver their employers the massive spoils of winning without being compensated accordingly from those spoils. It's a business. As much as we would like to have an orange tinted romanticised notion about our coach loving our team so much that they'll donate thier services at any level is ignorance of how this all works.

Our AD wants to go to the top level. Our coach is a legitimate means to that possible goal. A goal others will pay significantly to attain. We had the inside track to keep the goal alive here. The AD invested heavily to do it. Our coach did exactly what any elite talent would do. Weigh his options, look circumspectly at all factors (including financial), and make the best decision for him and his family. Nothing less should be expected of a winner.
He was approached. He listened to a traditional blue blood employer with significantly better historical basketball chops than UT. UT got championship serious about battling UCLA on the open market. UCLA backed down. Barnes made the choice he felt best for his future. UT used it's inside track and won this.

Coach K will leave Duke. Self will leave KU. Izzo will leave MSU. Geno will leave UConn. Even, Saban will leave Bama. ... IF they are not competitively compensated. Not one of them makes thier school a profit as a charity case. That's not how this works.

Barnes has done exactly what a successful coach does. He's just refreshingly honest with his thoughts about it.

Thank God (literally) for a huge buyout. I'm just saying. It made Barnes feel warm and fuzzy at the end of the day.

Thank God (literally) for a huge buyout. I'm just saying. It made Barnes feel warm and fuzzy at the end of the day.

Too bad Mike Hamilton didn't understand such a thing. Kiffin walked away for a meager $800K in the FIRST season! Let that sink in for a minute.

VN Store

Back