Bama - the coaching tree that ain’t

I thought Johnny Majors had a real nice coaching tree.

He did at one point. Johnny could hire some good young talent including Jon Gruden.

He couldn't keep many, but that was a good sign. They were moving up elsewhere.

Phil made some bad hires toward the end. To include, the ClawFense with his job on the line.

Saban is best because he has a Copyright on how to get the best players to sign and take em to a strip club and not get caught

Saban is the perfect storm.
- recruits as well or better than anyone else
- develops that talent and gets it to the NFL with many in early rounds
- wins at a level that no one else does which is a byproduct

Xs and Os matter but I think the trait that gets overlooked is his ability to manage all that with the focus on the details.

He has created a machine that endures all the changes.
I have read a lot of coachs' books, and the best two by far have been Saban and Spurriers. They both had such a clear vision and understanding of what they were going to do and how they wanted to do it. They found people that bought in and made it happen with them.

That is why a lot of coaching proteges fail. They don't have their own vision. They as re trying to recreate and it isn't possible to be the best at something you aren't.

Pruitt is probably a good man. I have never heard otherwise not with Butch or Dooley, but none of them did what they wanted. Butch was a walking fraud, Pruitt didn't know how to do it and is still trying to figure out how to be a HC, and Dooley is an awesome position Coach but never had the control over the program he wanted and couldn't handle this level. None were true selves and none of them will succeed. That is what I gear will happen if Tennessee doesn't get someone in that has the power and pull and experience. I would gladly see us hand someone a short term and high salary, even overpayment, to get a guy like that.

Smart just lucked into a good situation at Georgia.
This take is becoming dumber looking each passing year as he adds one Top 10 finish after another. He's got a stupid haircut and he can't beat Bama but he's light years better than most of the rest of the Saban tree, which is what OP I believe was primarily saying.

Yea sure. Saban is the best college football coach ever.... and yeah sure... he’s produced a few great coaches through his tree...(Dantoni, Kirby, etc.)

But most of his coaches are not good when they try to become head coaches or coordinators.
A few duds come to mind.....
Sunseri
Dooley
Pruitt
Muschump

Bc Saban is the best of the best, people assume his staff can somehow use some sort of magic
Fairy dust and be the same!!!!!

But his staff is 0-24 vs Saban as head coaches lol... So all I’m saying is please never again. I know Fulmer left a weed for a coaching tree it’s so small!!

But no More bammers pls!! There is only one Dark Lord Saban and nobody else can copy him
Either....

Most head coaches aren’t successful. The fact that Dabo came from his tree alone is more than most coaches can say.

Reactions: Border Vol
Left off fisher and cristoball. The tree is fine. Probably worth a gamble. Dooley was only with saban for a short time. The bigger problem is there is a difference in coaches that coached under him and coaches that spent a tiny portion of their time with him before cashing in on his name.

I shake my head how schools keep trying a Saban Junior. It never turns out that way. Bamas and LSUs success while there have always been Sabans success. You cant recreate that.

Reactions: Mtnvol80
Agree; a lot of programs including ours chase a Saban assistant in hopes they can capture lightning in bottle.

IMO, none of them that attempted to be HC's really carried the formula with them. There is a reason Saban is that successful. If you abandon what you were subject to, don't expect the same results.

I have read a lot of coachs' books, and the best two by far have been Saban and Spurriers. They both had such a clear vision and understanding of what they were going to do and how they wanted to do it. They found people that bought in and made it happen with them.

That is why a lot of coaching proteges fail. They don't have their own vision. They as re trying to recreate and it isn't possible to be the best at something you aren't.

Pruitt is probably a good man. I have never heard otherwise not with Butch or Dooley, but none of them did what they wanted. Butch was a walking fraud, Pruitt didn't know how to do it and is still trying to figure out how to be a HC, and Dooley is an awesome position Coach but never had the control over the program he wanted and couldn't handle this level. None were true selves and none of them will succeed. That is what I gear will happen if Tennessee doesn't get someone in that has the power and pull and experience. I would gladly see us hand someone a short term and high salary, even overpayment, to get a guy like that.

You can thro Dabo in that small group that understand vision and how to accomplish it. Clemson was a good program. He achieved and has maintained championship level football there as well. He probably understands more than any other young coach how Saban does what he does. And if he keeps it up, Day will join that group soon.

Shark humper was another failure. Not even sure where he is now.
Was he really a failure? 55-36 overall. Won the East both of his full years at Florida. Certainly not a great coach, but he’s been modestly successful.

If we’re talking coaching trees Sark would definitely be in the Pete Carroll tree. CSS rehabbed with Saban.... among other places 😗
Sark coaching just mere blocks from 6th street in Austin, Texas? What could possibly go wrong???

At least the Texas BMDs won't have to drive him too far too drinking.

Reactions: GroverCleveland

VN Store

Back