Bama signs 7 of top 15 in FL

I'm not sure. It would be a great matchup. Mullen is an awesome offensive schemer and Saban is an awesome defensive schemer. I think it is quite possible that if Mullen wanted to try his luck at the NFL, he might fare better than Saban. Especially if he joined a team that had a capable QB.

However, seeing as they are both college head coaches at the moment obviously, it is kind of a silly question. College football is a total program management job - not a level playing field job, a "who is the better play caller job," or something else. So it's kind of funny to do comparisons between coaches on some other basis. If college football was a "the head coach needs to be tall" job, Saban would be terrible. But it isn't that kind of job, so what does it matter?

UA as an institution of course has to do with his success. They had the luck (yes, there was considerable luck involved) to hire Saban and the sense to turn everything over to him. Assuming that another institution gave him total control, whether it be Florida, Tennessee, or any other big football school, I think he could probably replicate what he's done at Alabama or come really close. If the institution hamstrung him in some way, even if it was minor, I don't think he'd be as successful. But couldn't you say that about any coach? Hey - there's another critique for you..."Saban wouldn't be as successful if he was hamstrung by his school."

I get it - we're all Tennessee fans here who don't like Alabama. But the extents that people will go to minimize what Saban has done (i.e., on an equal playing field he's nothing special, he might not be able to replicate this at another school, etc.) are hilarious to me. He's the greatest college head coach ever, and we just have to live with it.

I generally find "what ifs" pretty pointless; I mean sure some might be interseting but in the end it's all opinion and pretty much fantasy. You can "what if" all day long.

Reminds me of the discussion about a certain QB.

Because Alabama is an assembly line straight to the NFL. It's real simple. If you go to Alabama, you stand a pretty good chance at signing a contract that will pay you millions of dollars a year in 3 years.

Saban doesn't even have to "sell" anymore - he just goes and states facts.
Even for bama, that’s an insanely impressive haul.

Would you rather play for Manny Diaz or the greatest coach in the history of college sports? Alabama has had 93 draft picks in the last 12 years, with 33 of those being first rounders. Miami has had one 10-win season since Saban arrived at Alabama. Pretty easy to see why Florida recruits would rather play in Tuscaloosa than Coral Gables.
I definitely get that, but 7 out of 15? Just seems like 2 of the 3 main Florida schools had a bit of momentum and it’s odd to see neither capitalize on it.

Yes it is, but when the program has been that successful you basically have to expect it. If you are a top player, why wouldn't you want to go there?
I definitely expect bama to pull in elite classes. It’s just two Florida schools had momentum and Bama winning a title isn’t anything new. Playing time and distance from home would be the only two negatives I could see. Would also think Miami and Florida could come up with reasons for them as well. Both put kids in the league. Playing time wouldn’t be an issue at either. Florida was within 6 points of bama at a massive talent disadvantage. Who wouldn’t want to live in Miami?

I definitely expect bama to pull in elite classes. It’s just two Florida schools had momentum and Bama winning a title isn’t anything new. Playing time and distance from home would be the only two negatives I could see. Would also think Miami and Florida could come up with reasons for them as well. Both put kids in the league. Playing time wouldn’t be an issue at either. Florida was within 6 points of bama at a massive talent disadvantage. Who wouldn’t want to live in Miami?
Alabama is just way more of a "sure thing." They are so embedded right now and seemingly nothing can stop them. Both Florida and Miami have had times in the recent past where they were quite mediocre.

If you show out at Florida or Miami, yes, you'll get to the NFL that way too. But the numbers speak for themselves. Look how many Bammers are in the league. It's 7-10 draft picks, across a variety of positions, year after year. In any given year, almost half the previous year's starters get drafted. Nobody else is even close to that same level right now.

VN Store

Back