Bailey into Portal

Ticket and VJ in the same starting 5 next year. Wild. Hope English continues to crush it. It would sure make our choice following Rick's retirement in a few years a lot easier :)
Continues to crush it? They were 14-16 (7-9) which was a decline from the prior year, now obviously you can’t make a claim off 1 year but I don’t think any GM fan would tell you that English crushed Year 1. He’s also losing 4/8 rotational players at least, so I wouldn’t think there’s a huge amount of optimism surrounding next year either, although Bailey may change that a bit.

Reactions: berryvol
Continues to crush it? They were 14-16 (7-9) which was a decline from the prior year, now obviously you can’t make a claim off 1 year but I don’t think any GM fan would tell you that English crushed Year 1. He’s also losing 4/8 rotational players at least, so I wouldn’t think there’s a huge amount of optimism surrounding next year either, although Bailey may change that a bit.

I mean it’s Year 1 of a rebuild, and he has a few solid wins against some P5 competition. I’m under no allusion that he is ready to be a head coach. I guess I should be more careful with my language….

I mean it’s Year 1 of a rebuild, and he has a few solid wins against some P5 competition. I’m under no allusion that he is ready to be a head coach. I guess I should be more careful with my language….
Yea I stated it’s Year 1 so I’m not making a claim that he’s done bad or whatever, I just don’t think anyone felt like he crushed Year 1, and given the outlook on Year 2 I’m not sure how much optimism they have.

Reactions: JVol1986
Yea I stated it’s Year 1 so I’m not making a claim that he’s done bad or whatever, I just don’t think anyone felt like he crushed Year 1, and given the outlook on Year 2 I’m not sure how much optimism they have.

Fair. My use of the word crush was a bit liberal. Mostly just happy for English landing a talent like Bailey, who I think will thrive a level down.

Now Rob Lanier is crushing it at Georgia State. But also not quite at the same level as the previous coach was before taking the Tulane job.

I think English being able to pull Bailey and Gaines though is crushing it a bit with recruiting. If it translates to more wins then he may be able to use that momentum to improve their roster faster.

Unlike Lanier though this is English's first HC job so some growing pains will still be expected even after Year 1.

I felt like English was doing more positive than negative. Agreed it wasn't exactly a season full of crushing it, but typically when I heard for GM on the media (as I did not follow them closely) it was because they were beating or close to beating a team they weren't expected to. I'd say that was a net positive overall despite overall record/results.

Reactions: Lurker
Preseason they were ranked 211 in KenPom and finished 113. They were projected to win 13 games this season and they won 14 despite having 3 games cancelled. Two of them were games they would have been favored in (@Duquesne and Rhode Island).

They were rank almost last in KenPom’s luck ranking (meaning they are better than their record indicates - basically the opposite of teams like Providence).

I think there’s a lot for George Mason fans to be encouraged about under Kim.

Lanier’s last two seasons actually he fared worse than preseason expectations. This year they ranked 102 preseason and subtracting the games that got cancelled were expected to win 18 regular season games. They finished ranked 149 and 15 regular season wins. They were preseason favorites to win the conference (they won their tourney) but finished 3rd in conference play. The year prior though an abreviated season was similar.

Reactions: DuckInAPen
I’m not sure who we will pull after Barnes retires, but I’m sure our fans will hate the hire no matter what happens. Let’s be honest.

I can’t say I’d be excited about going the up & comer route but I’m willing to give them a chance just like every one else.

I can’t say I’d be excited about going the up & comer route but I’m willing to give them a chance just like every one else.

It's been discussed on here in another thread (can't remember where), but I just cannot think of a single coach available that our fanbase would unite behind without complaining. Basketball operates a little differently than football. You're not going to lure away a Jay Wright, Bill Self, Tommy Lloyd, etc. from an established, major program. We've talked about how a guy like Brad Underwood has just as little success as Barnes does in March. Oats and Musselman might be the next tier of "somewhat realistic" candidates, but I can't imagine Arkansas letting Musselman walk at any point after the success he has had there.

Granted, Barnes likely won't retire for 2-4 more years, so the coaching carousel will look a LOT differently then as opposed to now.

So we have no free schollys if no one else leaves besides Fulk and Bailey.

We are exactly at the limit with BJ Edwards coming in and Chandler having not yet announced that he is leaving. Everybody expects KC to leave to create one spot. Some expect Powell to leave to create a second spot.

Technically, Fulk did not free up a spot since he was the 14th under the 2021-22 COVID rule. Then Edwards is using the spot that just opened up with Bailey leaving for George Mason. Adding Phillips or a transfer will require another departure (expected to be KC).

Bailey is a good kid and English is significantly more flexible in using offensive pieces. I think this is a good fit. If you ask agents and coaches, English is destined for great things. If we’re writing him off as our future coach already, we’re predictably shortsighted. Let’s see how he does. I bet he’ll continue to outperform his talent and grow. We might be lucky to get him.

Bailey is a good kid and English is significantly more flexible in using offensive pieces. I think this is a good fit. If you ask agents and coaches, English is destined for great things. If we’re writing him off as our future coach already, we’re predictably shortsighted. Let’s see how he does. I bet he’ll continue to outperform his talent and grow. We might be lucky to get him.

Good point. George Mason didn't win as many games in his first year as previous full season, that's true. But the strength of schedule went from about 130th to 113th as well. (strongest SOS played by George Mason since previous coach's first year).

70.7 PPG
68.5 PPGA

Improved defensively and didn't slip much on offense. Only lost by double digits in 4 games this season as well, so despite losing more than they won they were competitive in nearly every game.

Good point. George Mason didn't win as many games in his first year as previous full season, that's true. But the strength of schedule went from about 130th to 113th as well. (strongest SOS played by George Mason since previous coach's first year).

70.7 PPG
68.5 PPGA

Improved defensively and didn't slip much on offense. Only lost by double digits in 4 games this season as well, so despite losing more than they won they were competitive in nearly every game.
They’re a very athletic team, and started to gel at the end of the season. English developed Oduro into a great player. I think they can win 18-22 games next year. Bailey will be a great addition.

Reactions: MoCo_Vol
That actually makes life a lot easier. It also opens up KC possibly coming back. It either opens up a second scholly or lets us bring KC back and bring in Edwards also. That being said... I would assume if Baileys scholly comes open we want to use that on a transfer post. We are fairly guard rich and post poor as it stands.

Going to George Mason makes me happy for Vic otherwise it was disappointing news.

VN Store

Back