Bad News on Arencibia

corona1898

GO VOLS
Looking For Volunteers
Posted Feb. 20, 2007 3:41 pm by Aaron Fitt
Filed under: Around The Nation

More bad news today for Tennessee, which has already been playing without All-American outfielder Julio Borbon, who fractured his ankle last January and will be out for another month or so. The Volunteers will be out another All-American for this weekend, at least. Catcher J.P. Arencibia will miss this weekend’s series against Indiana-Purdue University-Fort Wayne with a strained muscle in his back.

“The injury began to develop during our series at Florida State earlier this month,” Tennessee coach Rod Delmonico said in a release. “He felt like he could play through it. But I probably should have rested him the last two weeks. We’ll rest him this weekend and possibly next weekend (against Illinois-Chicago) so that his back can heal. It’s in his best interest, as well as ours, to make sure he returns to full health as soon as possible.”

The Vols had played Arencibia at first base the last three games to keep him on the field without putting as much strain on his back, but he had to leave Sunday’s game against Bethune-Cookman after his first at-bat. Arencibia has never missed a start during his collegiate career, appearing in all 130 games since the start of the 2005 season.

The Volunteers had garnered a No. 11 ranking in the preseason based largely on their star power, but losing Borbon and Arencibia dramatically changes the makeup of the team. They still have healthy stars in shortstop Tony Delmonico and lefthander James Adkins, but Borbon was the catalyst atop the lineup and Arencibia was the big power bat in the middle of the order, and it won’t be possible to truly replace those two players.

I think he is supposed to be back in the next week or so... Perry probably knows better than I.

From what I read, Borbon is still likely out for another 3-4 weeks. Hopefully sooner. Arencibia will miss this weekend and possibly next. You can't rush catchers on any back injuries, otherwise they never go away during the season.

From what I read, Borbon is still likely out for another 3-4 weeks. Hopefully sooner. Arencibia will miss this weekend and possibly next. You can't rush catchers on any back injuries, otherwise they never go away during the season.

Borbon is still on crutches but is no longer in a boot. He said about 3 weeks ago he should be back in 3-4 weeks but it looks like he'll be out at least another two weeks.

VN Store

Back