Backloaded schedule - good or bad?

Good. Allows us to log these early wins and get to #1, then forces us to elevate our game going into the post season

I wonder if any of those teams fans are worrying about having to play Tennessee at the end of the year, or it's just us being worried about them?
I’m sure they are all worried about playing Tennessee

Ideally head into Rupp at 23-1.....and finish 5-2 down the stretch. We'll be sitting pretty.

On the fence about it, that will prepare us well but might be a little too much. I also worry about the selection committee saying we faltered late if we lose two.

Of course, if we are the best team no harm in proving it. Mixed bag, up to us to make the best of it.

NO QUESTION THIS IS THE HEAVIEST BACK LOADED SCHEDULE IN MEMORY
A fear-inducing test to ready a team for March Madness.
There are no sleepers in this gauntlet - the one game at home to bottom dwelling Vandy is the sole potential let-down game. The rest are all ranked and known to be dangerous so no excuses.
If they can get through this gauntlet the Madness will seem doable.
I think they can be 23 & 1 until Feb 16 and this murderer's row can be anything from
24 & 7 to 30 & 1 plus 3 wins in the SEC Tourney for 33 -1
I think their drive to best KY is indisputable and special but the away games to LSU, Ol Miss & Auburn could be too much for a sweep
And once this is done we still have an SEC Tournament where we should face 3 of these 5 again to reach the Championship
To Hang Banners for Grant, this is a must
Murderer's Row.JPG

Last edited:
Those teams are all pissing their pants they have to play Tennessee the last week while playing for 2nd place.

I love it - The NCAA tourny is a beast and every game is very emotional. I'd love to see our team win/lose however many so that they can learn to get by that. This last stretch followed by the SEC tourny in Nashville couldn't be better in my opinion.

the only game im concerned about is the ky game at their place cal will be in the refs ear from get go.

You don't get battle tested by invading the Virgin Islands.

Overcoming and learning from adversity is the best way to improve your product on the court/field.

I've been pondering this a bit today and can't decide where I fall. We've obviously got a great opportunity over the next few weeks to pad our record, but the end of the regular season is going to be quite the gauntlet:

2/16: @ Kentucky
2/19: Vanderbilt
2/23: @ LSU
2/27: @ Ole Miss
3/2: Kentucky
3/5: Mississippi State
3/9: @ Auburn

On one hand, we'll be battle tested heading into the tournament, and if we play well through this stretch (losing maybe one or two), we'll be very well set up for a 1 seed. And yes, that's assuming we take care of business until then.

On the other hand, there's a large part of me that wishes some of these tough games were included in the first half of our SEC schedule. Having these games clustered together will make for a potentially exciting/stressful couple of weeks.

What do you guys think?

Ouch - That's a nightmare imo - looks like our football schedule when we play Florida, Georgia, Auburn, Alabama, and South Carolina in consecutive weeks. We could pretty easily lose 4 of those - and we will probably not be favored in those 4.

Ouch - That's a nightmare imo - looks like our football schedule when we play Florida, Georgia, Auburn, Alabama, and South Carolina in consecutive weeks. We could pretty easily lose 4 of those - and we will probably not be favored in those 4.

We would be favored in every one of those games if played Wednesday night.

Don't like it at all. There is potential to lose 4 or 5 games, demoralizing to the team even if it is subconsciously.

Playing like we did this past saturday could result in 5 or 6 games losing.

Respectfully disagree. I would hope we don't drop 4 or 5 in that stretch, I think 3 is more likely, but either way, they would come I think at the best time since we responded very well to our lone loss thus far. Since the KU game we're a measly 12-0.

I wonder if any of those teams fans are worrying about having to play Tennessee at the end of the year, or it's just us being worried about them?

I doubt there are many teams that want to play Tennessee right now

Appreciate all of the responses thus far.

I tend to side with people who think it'll be beneficial come tournament time, but the previously referenced VTSD (lol) is definitely lingering in the back of my mind. There will be no questioning our team's readiness or resume when all is said and done. If we do well (and assuming teams like Miss. State, LSU and Ole Miss stay in the top 25), we're going to have a fantastic case for the selection committee to give us a spot on the top line.

Also, yes - none of those teams are glad to see Tennessee on the schedule in the last few weeks. The intimidation goes both ways.

It’s a good thing
They’re essentially prepping for march
It’s gives Barnes a chance to fix some things
Tests the teams mental toughness
Rolling into March at #1 looks good to kids
They should be favored in all with close margins to Kentucky and Auburn

Our schedule to date hasn’t been all cream puffs. I believe sitting at #1 now helps us in the rankings down the road. Recency bias and all.

This stretch should be a good test for this team and should clean out the carburetor heading into the tourney.

On a separate note, how awesome is it having this kind of discussion instead of discussing first four in / first four out??

Our schedule to date hasn’t been all cream puffs. I believe sitting at #1 now helps us in the rankings down the road. Recency bias and all.

This stretch should be a good test for this team and should clean out the carburetor heading into the tourney.

On a separate note, how awesome is it having this kind of discussion instead of discussing first four in / first four out??

A welcomed change of pace.
And to do it without the high profile kids makes it more impressive.

It’ll be a crime if Barnes isn’t coach of the year.

This team is built to handle some adversity with such great leadership. It’s hard to imagine not dropping a game or 2 or 3 possibly, but the important thing isn’t necessarily a 1 seed just for the sake of a 1. Give me a 2 playing in either Louisville, D.C, or Kansas City instead of a 1 in Anaheim depending on the draw.

Good. We may take an L or two but we need to be used to playing that kind of competition headed into March Madness.
Yes, good for this reason and also if we build up enough lead in division, late season games are more about seeding. Only downside is letting LSU or KY grow up a bit

You know its weird, I watch this team and really do not get nervous about if they are going to win or lose...I have so much confidence in how this team plays that I don't believe there isn't a game out there we can't win...The schedule at the end doesn't scare me in the least...We may lose 1 or 2 and I think kentucky might get us up there and maybe Auburn but honestly nobody else really worries me.
This right here.

Reactions: BigOrange83
You know its weird, I watch this team and really do not get nervous about if they are going to win or lose...I have so much confidence in how this team plays that I don't believe there isn't a game out there we can't win...The schedule at the end doesn't scare me in the least...We may lose 1 or 2 and I think kentucky might get us up there and maybe Auburn but honestly nobody else really worries me.
I wasn't really nervous against Bamer, but I did reach out to grab Petty as he was taking off with the ball there at the end.

NO QUESTION THIS IS THE HEAVIEST BACK LOADED SCHEDULE IN MEMORY
A fear-inducing test to ready a team for March Madness.
There are no sleepers in this gauntlet - the one game at home to bottom dwelling Vandy is the sole potential let-down game. The rest are all ranked and known to be dangerous so no excuses.
If they can get through this gauntlet the Madness will seem doable.
I think they can be 23 & 1 until Feb 16 and this murderer's row can be anything from
24 & 7 to 30 & 1 plus 3 wins in the SEC Tourney for 33 -1
I think their drive to best KY is indisputable and special but the away games to LSU, Ol Miss & Auburn could be too much for a sweep
And once this is done we still have an SEC Tournament where we should face 3 of these 5 again to reach the Championship
To Hang Banners for Grant, this is a must
View attachment 190462
I think we go 3-3, then go on and win the SECT. Even at 4 losses we'd still prolly be a 1 seed.

If you want a look at how running a gauntlet earlier in the season affects you, starting following Mississippi State for the next few weeks. Their next seven are all against RPI top 50 teams - they've got @ kentucky, Auburn, @ Alabama, @ Ole Miss, LSU, Kentucky, Alabama coming up. It'll be informative to see how they come out of that - both record-wise and how they're playing later in the season.

Here's everyone in our own gauntlet, and big games they have on their own schedules before they get to us. There's going to be a good handful of hardened SEC teams come tourney time.

Kentucky (4 upcoming games vs RPI top 50): Mississippi State (x2), Kansas and LSU
LSU (3): Mississippi State, Auburn, Kentucky
Ole Miss (4): Alabama, Iowa State, Mississippi State, Auburn
Mississippi State (8): Kentucky (x2), Auburn (x2), Alabama (x2), Ole Miss, LSU
Auburn (6): Mississippi State (x2), Alabama (x2), LSU, Kentucky

Reactions: ThatVolGuy

VN Store

Back