Backloaded schedule - good or bad?

ThatVolGuy

Debonair Extraordinaire
I've been pondering this a bit today and can't decide where I fall. We've obviously got a great opportunity over the next few weeks to pad our record, but the end of the regular season is going to be quite the gauntlet:

2/16: @ Kentucky
2/19: Vanderbilt
2/23: @ LSU
2/27: @ Ole Miss
3/2: Kentucky
3/5: Mississippi State
3/9: @ Auburn

On one hand, we'll be battle tested heading into the tournament, and if we play well through this stretch (losing maybe one or two), we'll be very well set up for a 1 seed. And yes, that's assuming we take care of business until then.

On the other hand, there's a large part of me that wishes some of these tough games were included in the first half of our SEC schedule. Having these games clustered together will make for a potentially exciting/stressful couple of weeks.

What do you guys think?

Reactions: JohnnyJava
I don't like it. I wish the schedule was more balanced. I'm afraid we might lose an extra game or 2 when it's so heavy loaded. But we'll see what happens.

Reactions: Vol49er
It is as it is. You play the schedule that you have in front of you. I’m sure there are some games that would be better played earlier in the season, some will better for us if played later. Truth is, we’ll never know for sure. It’ll give us something to moan about later on if we’re not up to the task.

I think we will be 13-0 with a 2 game lead on the field heading into that tough last 5 game stretch.

Don't like it at all. There is potential to lose 4 or 5 games, demoralizing to the team even if it is subconsciously.

Playing like we did this past saturday could result in 5 or 6 games losing.

We will probably drop a game or two , but that might be a good thing in the long run

Wow, what a stretch that has turned out to be. With Ole Miss and LSU looking pretty good this looks like a true gauntlet. But CRB is playing his starters deep in every game now. So, he apparently not concerned about fatigue. I predict 5-2 through that. Feel like I'm being optimistic, but hopefully they surprise me.

I've been pondering this a bit today and can't decide where I fall. We've obviously got a great opportunity over the next few weeks to pad our record, but the end of the regular season is going to be quite the gauntlet:

2/16: @ Kentucky
2/19: Vanderbilt
2/23: @ LSU
2/27: @ Ole Miss
3/2: Kentucky
3/5: Mississippi State
3/9: @ Auburn

On one hand, we'll be battle tested heading into the tournament, and if we play well through this stretch (losing maybe one or two), we'll be very well set up for a 1 seed. And yes, that's assuming we take care of business until then.

On the other hand, there's a large part of me that wishes some of these tough games were included in the first half of our SEC schedule. Having these games clustered together will make for a potentially exciting/stressful couple of weeks.

What do you guys think?
Adversity sharpens the sword.

It has it pros and cons.

I think it will help because of the upgraded competition. Yes we may lose 1 or 2 games but it will ready us for tournament play both SEC and NCAA.

A loss or 2 will not kill us... but this schedule will help us because we may become to complacent because of the competition.

On the other hand which I believe is a plus: League play is a grind and This team is deep and experienced. The teams we play should be feeling it towards the end of the regular season and I believe this will give us an advantage.

Without injury and without poor officiating of which no one can control, we could make this run without a loss.

IMO Coach Barnes is using these games to address issues and to further develop the team and players. It's all about chemistry and he has an array to throw out every game...

I think we win the home games and without home cooking we will split the away games.

Hold a No 1 seed or the top 2nd Seed... SEC tourney will play a factor in our final seed. ???

Eggzactly

I like the idea of being forced to play tough competition going into the tourney. I'd fear a soft schedule with easy wins will make us complacement. Reference Bama

Last edited:
Reactions: cardvolfan
It has it pros and cons.

I think it will help because of the upgraded competition. Yes we may lose 1 or 2 games but it will ready us for tournament play both SEC and NCAA.

A loss or 2 will not kill us... but this schedule will help us because we may become to complacent because of the competition.

On the other hand which I believe is a plus: League play is a grind and This team is deep and experienced. The teams we play should be feeling it towards the end of the regular season and I believe this will give us an advantage.

Without injury and without poor officiating of which no one can control, we could make this run without a loss.

IMO Coach Barnes is using these games to address issues and to further develop the team and players. It's all about chemistry and he has an array to throw out every game...

I think we win the home games and without home cooking we will split the away games.

Hold a No 1 seed or the top 2nd Seed... SEC tourney will play a factor in our final seed. ???
Doubt we'll play this without a loss. If so, we truly deserve being #1.

Reactions: Sudden Impact
I'd rather have tough games down the stretch leading into tournament. Having a bunch of easier games can mask weaknesses that you don't realize you have but your opponents in NCAA can exploit.

Doubt we'll play this without a loss. If so, we truly deserve being #1.

Doubt it also...but several will begin not believe...After seeing Petty and our inability to shut him down I wondered. We did finally for the final 8 minutes with Turner, but we also had issues with our backdoor. These areas are Fixable.

We could potentially get jobbed at Kentucky.....

Doubt it also...but several will begin not believe...After seeing Petty and our inability to shut him down I wondered. We did finally for the final 8 minutes with Turner, but we also had issues with our backdoor. These areas are Fixable.

We could potentially get jobbed at Kentucky.....
My guess is that Barnes is going to lay the hammer down on defensive excellence. If we can do that, the sky is the limit. We're number 1 right now, let's separate from the pack!

You know its weird, I watch this team and really do not get nervous about if they are going to win or lose...I have so much confidence in how this team plays that I don't believe there isn't a game out there we can't win...The schedule at the end doesn't scare me in the least...We may lose 1 or 2 and I think kentucky might get us up there and maybe Auburn but honestly nobody else really worries me.

Reactions: RavinDave
We all have VTSD (VOL Tramatic Stress Disorder). Enjoying every minute of this team and this season - one game at a time with confidence #1 team in nation will come out ok at end of the season. We are so not used to this, but I like it !!

Reactions: aurabass
We all have VTSD (VOL Tramatic Stress Disorder). Enjoying every minute of this team and this season - one game at a time with confidence #1 team in nation will come out ok at end of the season. We are so not used to this, but I like it !!
Good stuff! Quite true! I advocate hiring a nun to sit behind the bench at the rest of our games.

Reactions: tnuhcvols
I could make a case either way, and some decent arguments have been made for either side of the coin already, but I will tell you why I like it.

Confidence and chemistry will already be generated by early success and experience.

It is a nice test of tournament readiness, both in terms of talent we face and in terms of space between tough games.

Lastly, this is the part of our schedule where our depth, talent, and experience differential could turn the tide in some of these games. A few of the teams can match us in talent alone, but none of the teams we face in that stretch can match our depth and experience. As some of those teams begin to feel the pressure to win to secure an NCAAT bid, SECT seeding, etc, our experience and upperclassman leadership will be key. As some teams begin to face issues of late-season fatigue and injuries, our depth will be key.

I wonder if any of those teams fans are worrying about having to play Tennessee at the end of the year, or it's just us being worried about them?

VN Store

Back