Back up qb: are we being gullible?

I was never a Chris Winkie fan (as a QB), but he is a very good and proven QB coach (one of the best). Tennessee also has some other really good coaches........which makes things even worse......this should not be happening nor accepted.

JFC man. You think Cornbread is just like ‘screw you jim Cheney and Weinke with your different evals....I don’t care about winning I just want to play JG coz....well just coz! By gawd!’

That’s just ignorant.

However, we’re now at the point the other guys have to get a longer look.
Also to have that stance that’s it’s an ignorant thought is to say that you believe it to be Chaney’s call to rotate o lineman as well?

I’ve posted this in other threads but with every passing game it’s becoming more and more clear that the possibility of seeing a backup is at an all time high. So here’s some things to think about to maybe help boost your confidence.

Strike 1- Jeremy Pruitt is a defensive coordinator by trade. Always has been. He played defense in his playing days. The man lives and breathes defense. This is the first time in his life (that we know of) that he’s ever had his hands even remotely involved in offense. And we’ve heard one.....I repeat ONE negative evaluation of our backups, which strangely enough comes from our defensive coordinator HC. Are we to believe that the title of HC alone automatically qualifies you to pass such judgments on a position he’s never coached, played or even been a part of?
What negative evaluation are you talking about? That's a sincere question. I just don't recall anything "negative". I've heard him say that they had not separated themselves from each other... but that doesn't mean they're both good or both bad.

To answer your question though, Yes. A defensive minded coach has defended MANY different QB's and styles of QB's. You could argue that he has a better perspective than an OC that had spent a career focused on one style of play.

Strike 2- we have a heisman trophy winning qb as a qb coach. We have a proven OC (and qb coach) that are the face of the offensive minds at UT. One of the above has given his evaluation of the backups and he seems to strongly disagree with the evaluations set forth with quotes such as “The “it” factor” and “Neither of them have thrown many ints in practice but the goal is 0.” All while our OC refuses to give his personal evaluation out of respect for our HC.
If there was disagreement or criticism weeks ago it should be viewed for what it is... a moment in time.

Strike 3- Ill admit I don’t know much about JTS outside of him being 2 years removed from his only year as a starter. His stats are all we have and they’re not very impressive. But that in no way means he hasn’t improved.
Shrout played against very good competition in HS. He appeared to play on a bad team. UT needs someone who can get the ball to the right playmaker on time. JG has more than proven he can't do that. I just hope that Pruitt doesn't sink his own fortunes by waiting and hoping JG will "get it".

Which brings me to BM. We seem to have forgotten what this kid has accomplished while playing with a team that was historically bad.
-He threw for over 3500 yards and 34 tds behind a o line that makes ours look like the New England Patriots. No receivers with speed or size and no running game and his numbers (in a lot of ways) were better than Trevor Lawrence’s senior yr. Let that sink in.
- rushes for another 500+ and 6 more scores.
- completed 65% of his passes while averaging 43 passes a game.
- wins elite 11 regional MVP
- beats out at least 12 of the 24 best QBs in the country to earn the invite to “The Opening”
- Beats out 7 of the top 12 at “The Opening” with a 10/1 td to int ratio against the best defenders in the 2019 class.
- Travels the country earning offers from every school he attended camp throwing “routes on air” and 7on 7
- Tyson Helton quoted saying his workout was “among the best I’ve ever seen”

And we chose to believe that He’s suddenly lost his accuracy since arriving to UT?

I don’t buy it. What I will buy is JG has already hit his ceiling.....last year. I’m not saying BM or JTS WILL be better “right now” but one thing I am sure of is either of them will eventually be but BM has the highest ceiling. Why not start building towards what we could be rather than sticking with what we are? We may be pleasantly surprised.

I'll admit I am more excited about BM but ultimately I'm a UT fan above all else. I don't care which of the 3 it is... I just want the job done right. JG ain't close right now.

To the point...

-the backups aren't ready
-we have a transfer in waiting for next year
- we have a blue Chip recruit coming in

We are already preparing for the future.
By what knowledge are you basing your statement that the back-ups aren't ready ? I call BS on that statement. Auburn is running a true freshman and doing just fine. All of the quarterbacks on this team are in their first year of this system. If there is anything that we the fan base knows is that JG is not ready nor can he do the job. We have two years of data on him to show he cannot get it done. He is 0-4 in the last four games unable to produce enough points to win. People will say defense is the issue but the defense did their job holding BYU to 16 points. Offense let this team down kicking field goals instead of scoring touchdowns.

When we went 3 & out after BYU’s first TD and JG came off the field with a long face, the team lost confidence

Reactions: alavolfan
Tennessee (and JG) would have two close wins if the defense was even 10% better. If the defense was 40% better they’d have two fairly easy victories right now.

What negative evaluation are you talking about? That's a sincere question. I just don't recall anything "negative". I've heard him say that they had not separated themselves from each other... but that doesn't mean they're both good or both bad.

To answer your question though, Yes. A defensive minded coach has defended MANY different QB's and styles of QB's. You could argue that he has a better perspective than an OC that had spent a career focused on one style of play.

If there was disagreement or criticism weeks ago it should be viewed for what it is... a moment in time.

Shrout played against very good competition in HS. He appeared to play on a bad team. UT needs someone who can get the ball to the right playmaker on time. JG has more than proven he can't do that. I just hope that Pruitt doesn't sink his own fortunes by waiting and hoping JG will "get it".

I'll admit I am more excited about BM but ultimately I'm a UT fan above all else. I don't care which of the 3 it is... I just want the job done right. JG ain't close right now.
The negative is the overall evaluation he’s convinced a lot of the fan base of. Inaccurate, throwing the ball to the other team (as if it’s a regular thing) and a lack of complements that he’s given JG. As well as not talking about JG in the same negative descriptions. Like I’ve said before on other threads, if we ONLY went off of Pruitts evaluations in practice you’d think JG was flawless because his erratic passes and ints are not talked about.

The negative is the overall evaluation he’s convinced a lot of the fan base of. Inaccurate, throwing the ball to the other team (as if it’s a regular thing) and a lack of complements that he’s given JG. As well as not talking about JG in the same negative descriptions. Like I’ve said before on other threads, if we ONLY went off of Pruitts evaluations in practice you’d think JG was flawless because his erratic passes and ints are not talked about.
I'm not trying to badger you but I only saw one comment like that early in camp. He might have responded differently to the exact same question 2 days later.

Have there been more?

Have we not already seen last year that he likes being in control of everything? Why is it so hard to believe that he may be choosing offensive personnel?
Last year we saw improvement and beat two top 15 teams after Pruitt got involved with the offense. He’s coached O before and I believe he wants to win more than anything else. JMO tho...

I agree JG is not a first team qb.. Why not give the backups a chance. What have we got to lose. Do you remember Peyton when he was given the chance. They took a chance on him. I am not saying any of these are a Peyton Manning but give someone else a chance. JG is to slow deciding who to throw to or locks on a receiver the whole way or throws into double and sometimes triple coverage. At times he holds the ball too long. Who can this team beat. It is going to be awful against Fla, Ga, and Ala especially!!!!

defensive coordinator HC. Are we to believe that the title of HC alone automatically qualifies you to pass such judgments on a position he’s never coached, played or even been a part of?
Truth be told yes.

If you want to argue he's not qualified to be a HC go for it. Otherwise the final starting QB say and any another position he decides to micromanage is his.

You don't have to be a computer science engineer to be qualified to tell your head of IT what kind of computers and software to equip the company with.

To be less pedantic and to the point, he's made a career figuring out how to stop QB's from performing. He might not be qualified to coach QB's up but he can certainly assess their performance.

And I agree with your overall premise. Pruitt needs to open his qualified eyes and realize JG's at his ceiling. I desperately want to see BM get the nod and get significant snaps next week. I don't think the pocket holds in the swamp and think either because of JG's bad performance or a mauling, JG doesn't make it through the game. I want us to have a chance to go down swinging.

Reactions: Vol4ever
I'm not trying to badger you but I only saw one comment like that early in camp. He might have responded differently to the exact same question 2 days later.

Have there been more?
I’ve noticed it anytime the question gets brought up about the backups. He eludes to one or more of the criticisms I told you. Which ironically, from what we’ve seen, only seems to fit who he chose to start. I’m not saying he’s not correct but he’d be correct saying those things about any QB in any given practice as well at one point or another. My point is all it’s done is create a negative vibe within the fan base and forced somewhat of a “distrust”.

Tennessee (and JG) would have two close wins if the defense was even 10% better. If the defense was 40% better they’d have two fairly easy victories right now.
That statement makes no sense what so ever. Furman hung 42 on GA State yesterday. If TN with their better personnel hung 42 on GA State then TN still wins vs the 38 the defense gave up. The defense HELD BYU to 16 points yesterday. If you think this defense is going to have a shut out just so JG can get a win you are off the rails. The defense is younger than the offense so don't expect greatness. UT will not win with JG at quarterback. This defense is a long way from being an SEC defense so you better win some shoot outs.

Last year we saw improvement and beat two top 15 teams after Pruitt got involved with the offense. He’s coached O before and I believe he wants to win more than anything else. JMO tho...
That may be true but what was the difference in JGs play in those games? He took shots downfield with little to no hesitation. That was the difference imo.

I’ve posted this in other threads but with every passing game it’s becoming more and more clear that the possibility of seeing a backup is at an all time high. So here’s some things to think about to maybe help boost your confidence.

Strike 1- Jeremy Pruitt is a defensive coordinator by trade. Always has been. He played defense in his playing days. The man lives and breathes defense. This is the first time in his life (that we know of) that he’s ever had his hands even remotely involved in offense. And we’ve heard one.....I repeat ONE negative evaluation of our backups, which strangely enough comes from our defensive coordinator HC. Are we to believe that the title of HC alone automatically qualifies you to pass such judgments on a position he’s never coached, played or even been a part of?

Strike 2- we have a heisman trophy winning qb as a qb coach. We have a proven OC (and qb coach) that are the face of the offensive minds at UT. One of the above has given his evaluation of the backups and he seems to strongly disagree with the evaluations set forth with quotes such as “The “it” factor” and “Neither of them have thrown many ints in practice but the goal is 0.” All while our OC refuses to give his personal evaluation out of respect for our HC.

Strike 3- Ill admit I don’t know much about JTS outside of him being 2 years removed from his only year as a starter. His stats are all we have and they’re not very impressive. But that in no way means he hasn’t improved.
Which brings me to BM. We seem to have forgotten what this kid has accomplished while playing with a team that was historically bad.
-He threw for over 3500 yards and 34 tds behind a o line that makes ours look like the New England Patriots. No receivers with speed or size and no running game and his numbers (in a lot of ways) were better than Trevor Lawrence’s senior yr. Let that sink in.
- beats out at least 12 of the 24 best QBs in the country to earn the invite to “The Opening”
- Beats out 7 of the top 12 at “The Opening” with a 10/1 td to int ratio against the best defenders in the 2019 class.
- Travels the country earning offers from every school he attended camp throwing “routes on air” and 7on 7

And we chose to believe that He’s suddenly lost his accuracy since arriving to UT?

I don’t buy it. What I will buy is JG has already hit his ceiling.....last year. I’m not saying BM or JTS WILL be better “right now” but one thing I am sure of is either of them will eventually be but BM has the highest ceiling. Why not start building towards what we could be rather than sticking with what we are? We may be pleasantly surprised.

First and foremost, CJP did what any incoming coach in his position would do, and that is give JG the opportunity as the incumbent eldest QB. I think JG has shown that even under better coaches this year, he really hasn't shown any marked improvement. IMO, the staff is buying time to get a backup promoted soon, and JP will do what any other coach in his position at this point will do. JG had plenty of improved protection yesterday to perform better. He just holds the ball too long and the chance to make plays passes by. I saw a very talented receiving group that did not get the ball on time in order to make a game winning difference. more often than not the ball got to them after the coverage had already shut them down from consistent positive gains. I saw a backfield that can definitely produce with more games under their belt. I saw a defense that needs to work harder and be more in focus to what is happening around them. THey rebounded good last night until that last BYU pass. Everybody knew it was coming. They just let him slide right by. I saw 3 defenders on that pass pull off coverage and got suckered to pull up to protect the run. Like that was going to happen. We didn't have to blow BYU out. Just had to keep the win.

Truth be told yes.

If you want to argue he's not qualified to be a HC go for it. Otherwise the final starting QB say and any another position he decides to micromanage is his.

You don't have to be a computer science engineer to be qualified to tell your head of IT what kind of computers and software to equip the company with.

To be less pedantic and to the point, he's made a career figuring out how to stop QB's from performing. He might not be qualified to coach QB's up but he can certainly assess their performance.

And I agree with your overall premise. Pruitt needs to open his qualified eyes and realize JG's at his ceiling. I desperately want to see BM get the nod and get significant snaps next week. I don't think the pocket holds in the swamp and think either because of JG's bad performance or a mauling, JG doesn't make it through the game. I want us to have a chance to go down swinging.
That’s one way to look at it. Frankly one angle I didn’t think of. But you’d be hard pressed to convince me that him choosing Chaney’s QB for him to run his offense could in any way be a positive. I just don’t think Chaney nor Weinke go the JG route if they had a choice. Their jobs depend on success as much as Pruitts.
The good thing is they HAVE to be thinking of making a change by now.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
I posted this in another thread, with this team being really bad and freebie games being close in the 4th, JG is getting ALL the snaps. There is no Garbage time for our young QBs to get experience. This is VERY bad for our future.
I've been saying the same thing. UTC will be too close to get anybody else a snap.

Pruitt has to know that JG isn't the guy, doesn't he? If the man truly wanted to win he would try anything. He himself even said there are game time players and practice players. I think he should evaluate based on his own beliefs. It is apparent he has no issues rotating multiple line men, what's the difference with QB? He can't use a qb's continuity and confidence as an excuse because line men need continuity just as much. I am honestly baffled as to why we keep trying to make JG something he is not, a collegiate QB
I can’t figure out if he’s blind or hardheaded but at this point the other coaches need to have an intervention . No need to keep ramming your head into a brick wall. Are they all afraid of him ? This is crazy.

If we ran the triple option we'd have won the first game by 30 and would have won last night.

If you're saying we need a change at QB, you get no arguments from me.

VN Store

Back