B1G A BIG BUST IN NCAA TOURNEY

Big 10 is always overvalued in basketball. They’ve won 3 championships since 1985 and none since 2000. If they are so great why can’t they win a single championship in a 20 year span?

Not surprised in the least - Midwesterner's dominate the sportscasting, announcing, and play by play business due to the flat unaccented voices. The B1G's media market covers NYC (Rutgers) - the DC-Baltimore megalopolis (Maryland) Chicagoland (Illinois, Northwestern, Purdue) Detroit (Michigan)-MSU Minneapolis-St. Paul (Minnesota) Columbus (OSU) plus Philadelphia & Pennsylvania (PSU) Indiana, Wisconsin, Iowa and even Nebraska. They represent a significant swath of the US population and a large portion of the ESPN - CBS audience. The bias is rooted in revenue.

This certainly is a reasonable explanation but I believe there has been a B1G bias long before ESPN was around. Back in the day, when the NCAA was controlling the the number of appearances a team could have on TV, most of the schools of the B1G got the maximum number of appearances. That was not true for the SEC. One memory I have is when UT and Ole Miss played the famous "Archie Who" game. UT was ranked #2 in the country and was undefeated. Even though televising it as a national game was allowable under the contract, it was televised as a regional game only showing in a small part of the country. Anyway, I got to watch two of the worst teams in the B1G play instead (Northwestern vs. Indiana if I recall correctly). Nobody cared about that game.

I don’t think UT fans have much room to talk about the Big 10.

Tennessee was seeded too high, but pretty much everyone knew that going in:

(A) We were mostly seeded so high based on good performance in the early season; based on our SEC slate, we were probably more like an 11- or 12-seed, and
(B) We lost Fulkerson for the tournament, which makes us a worse team

It's not like we were media darlings or anything. Most of the media was picking us to exit early.

The Big 10, on the other hand, was constantly praised as the best conference by the media, and got absolutely exposed.

There are 3 Big 10 schools currently going through coaching changes but these are the most up to date records and NCAAT success between the SEC and Big 10. I included Archie Miller, Richard Pitino, and Pat Chambers into the numbers since they were the most recent coaches at their respective schools. I did not include Stackhouse at Vanderbilt since he’s a joke of a coach. He should never have been hired and everyone knows it. Anyways, someone in another thread tried to tell me that the Big 10 had marginally better coaching than the SEC so I just thought I would drop this here. The Big 10 is nothing without Tom Izzo.

SEC Overall Win-Loss: 4920-2558
Winning Percentage: .658
National Championships: 1 (0 w/o Cal)
Final 4: 13 (7 w/o Cal)
Elite 8: 26 (14 w/o Cal)
Sweet 16: 47 (32 w/o Cal)

Big 10 Overall Win-Loss: 3594-2286
Winning Percentage: .611
National Championships: 1 (0 w/o Izzo)
Final 4: 8 (0 w/o Izzo)
Elite 8: 12 (2 w/o Izzo)
Sweet 16: 27 (13 w/o Izzo)