Bàma + Apple Watches = Violation?

Bàma provided Apple watches to all its players to moniter their activities during the shutdown. Wouldn't giving them a watch be violation by itself?

Sources: SEC reviews Tide's use of data tracking
Nothing will happen. It’s Alabama. When you get free suits and Dodge Chargers then Apple watches are incidental jewelry. I do not blame Bama for cheating Because that is who they are, but I do blame the other SEC schools for letting them get by with it.

Reactions: LibertyVol
Bàma provided Apple watches to all its players to moniter their activities during the shutdown. Wouldn't giving them a watch be violation by itself?

Sources: SEC reviews Tide's use of data tracking

No, you can give all kinds gear to players. The issue will be how strict the NCAA wants to be with this "no monitoring during the shutdown" policy.

The best thing they can do is just STFU.

Every player probably also needs a Peletron and a home workout room stocked full of state of the art workout equipment.

Isn't it a violation of Title IX to only equip football players with the Apple Watches?

Dont we use something similar in practice? I'm sure the athletic dept can issue these to players without problems. Some of yall are plain silly.

Reactions: Probably_in_Class
Every school should have thought of it. My wife has one from her employer that pays up to $1,000 a year if she get her exercise levels to a certain point.

As a shareholder in Apple, I say “Hell no. It’s not a violation”

Reactions: Remy
Every school should have thought of it. My wife has one from her employer that pays up to $1,000 a year if she get her exercise levels to a certain point.

As a shareholder in Apple, I say “Hell no. It’s not a violation”

As far as Apple shareholder = Me2

No, you can give all kinds gear to players. The issue will be how strict the NCAA wants to be with this "no monitoring during the shutdown" policy.

Based on this from the NCAA, it appears that using the watches is a violation as athletes may not report their activities but I guess the loophole here is the player isn't doing the reporting, the watch is.

https://nypost.com/2020/04/05/alabama-called-out-for-apple-watch-usage/
Earlier in the week, the NCAA released the Division I COVID-19 Question and Answer Guide that said schools can distribute voluntary workouts, but coaches and staff members “may not supervise or conduct such workouts” and that athletes “may not report voluntary athletically related activities to institutional coaches or staff members.”

Based on this from the NCAA, it appears that using the watches is a violation as athletes may not report their activities but I guess the loophole here is the player isn't doing the reporting, the watch is.

https://nypost.com/2020/04/05/alabama-called-out-for-apple-watch-usage/
Earlier in the week, the NCAA released the Division I COVID-19 Question and Answer Guide that said schools can distribute voluntary workouts, but coaches and staff members “may not supervise or conduct such workouts” and that athletes “may not report voluntary athletically related activities to institutional coaches or staff members.”

Wouldn't this violate that directive?

Tennessee coach ready to tap high school days to be creative

The third-year Tennessee coach is... watching videos shot by his Vols of their personal workouts...

Pruitt said the remaining members of the strength staff have been working with players who share videos of their workouts...

The sentence right before the one you quoted:

"The third-year Tennessee coach is embracing the virtual time he gets to work with his players following the go-ahead from the Southeastern Conference. "

Plus it says the workouts are posted to social media, not directly shared with the staff. Are the Bama watches sending their information to the web or just the Bama staff? Based on the originally linked article quoting Saban, his staff was "very instrumental in setting up this whole program of what we're doing with the players in terms of the Apple watches for their workouts and apps on their phones for weight-training programs."

Are you admitting Bama violated the directive then and deflecting by trying to find an instance where another program allegedly committed a violation?

Last edited:
The sentence right before the one you quoted:

"The third-year Tennessee coach is embracing the virtual time he gets to work with his players following the go-ahead from the Southeastern Conference. "

You're allowed to check in with players. By the letter of this rule, you're not allowed to have the players report on their "voluntary activities."

Are you admitting Bama violated the directive then and deflecting by trying to find an instance where another program allegedly committed a violation?

I did in my very first post in this thread. Like I said, it's going to come down to how hard Indianapolis wants to push this rule.

Last edited:
I did in my very first post in this thread. Like I said, it's going to come down to how hard Indianapolis wants to push this rule.

This is recognizing Bama committed an infraction?

VN Store

Back