AWAKA, AIDOO, and Plasvic should have played more! Yes, L is on Barnes!

UT lost because Barnes got outcoached once again in the NCAA Tournament. I love Barnes. I really do. But, Barnes has to put the players on the court that are the most productive per minute played and pull the ones that continue to jack 3's that aren't falling or players that can't be more productive in rebounding, period! Maximizing field goal percentage for your team from the floor, going to the line more, and second chance points due to outrebounding the other team are huge factors at determining the outcome of a game!

In my opinion, here are four very valid reasons UT was outcoached last night. Barnes didn't play the guys that were more productive down the stretch. In my opinion, it comes down to SUBSTITUTIONS based on EFFICIENCY PER MINUTE PLAYED and CHANGING THE OFFENSIVE SCHEME when 3's aren't falling!!! STATS DON'T LIE!!!

Barnes let his guys continue to shoot the 3 when it wasn't falling in the second half. Aidoo, Awaka, Nkamhoua, Plasvic, and James could have had a field day taking the ball to the hole and getting a bucket or going to the line! The continued jacking of 3's when it isn't falling is the EXACT DEFIINITION of LIVING and DYING by 3's. 3-9 in the first half will put you in the 220th position out of 352 teams in Div 1 basketball. But, 3-14 will put you DEAD LAST in 3 pt % out of 352 teams as a season average. TAKE THE DAMN BALL TO THE RACK!!!

Barnes should have done a better job with substitutions. Phillips should have never even played last night. Giving him 12 minutes was a waste. He hasn't been productive most of the year with the amount of minutes he as gotten! Phillips was 1-13 from beyond the 3pt line his last 11 games. Mashack and Key should have got those other 12 minutes that Phillips got! Nkamhou's minutes should have been less with Aidoo and Awaka getting many more as well as Plasvic getting more. It was apparent that ON wasn't having the same game he had versus Duke. Awaka has been productive lately. Awaka getting 1 minute of play was a major mistake.

Plasvic should have played more. He was having a field day taking the ball to the rack in the first half. He should have played more in the second half to take the ball to the hole. Yes, his FT percentage is horrendous. But, get the FAU bigs in foul trouble and get in the double bonus early in the second half. Plasvic shot 40% from the floor, only Aido shot better at 80%.

Awaka and Aidoo should have played more with Nkamhoua going 1-6 from the line and NOT REBOUNDING well last night. Atleast Awaka would have been a rebounding machine. Aidoo had the best shooting floor percentage. Let him shoot and go to the hole more with Awaka in there to rebound!

Barnes should have put pressure on FAU to defend UT. FAU was in the bonus with almost 9 minutes to go due to the pressure on the ball UT had to have on D due to the lack of O production. The O taking the ball to the hole would have balanced out the fouls and possibly put UT in the bonus with 9 minutes to go instead of FAU being there. How about putting some pressure on the other team with the O instead of the D having to be the pressure point EVERY GAME?

Barnes should have given more time to the players that were rebounding the ball consistently. UT should have outrebounded FAU. Yes, FAU had the same number per game as UT during the season, 38. But, rebounding in the SEC vs Conference USA is a whole different beast! UT had 2 bigs and one tall guard in JJJ at 6.6 that were seniors on the floor to rebound! Nkamhoua's rebounding was pathetic last night, ONLY 4 REBOUNDS! JJJ and Vescovi had 6 and 7. Mashack also had 4 from the guard position. Get ON out of the game and another big in the game that will BOX OUT and REBOUND, like Awaka! Why in the world did Awaka only play 1 min with FAU outrebounding UT?

Look below at Awaka's rebounding performance the last six games. Awaka has gotten 31 rebounds in 73 minutes over the last 6 games. That is a rebound every 2 minutes and twenty one seconds! Awaka was also 5-8 from the floor over the last 6 games! If Barne's gives Awaka some minutes in the first half and most of the second half for at least 22 minutes due to ON's play, then UT probably gets 10 or more rebounds that FAU doesn't get for the difference in the game!!!

OPPONENT DATE MINS Off Def TOTAL

ARKANSAS...............02/28/23........15.......5.......3.......8
at Auburn.................03/04/23.........18.......3.......7......10
vs Ole Miss...............03/09/23.........13.......2......3........5
vs Missouri................03/10/23..........8........0.......2.......2
vs Louisiana..............03/16/23...........8.......1.......2.......3
vs Duke.......................03/18/23.........11.......1......2.......3

vs Fla. Atlantic.......03/23/23.......1???..0....0.....0

And what is your college coaching record?

I don't blame everything on the coaches. But coaches are the ones who make millions and millions of dollars to have functional teams. We see each and every day the difference they make. Execution failures seem to plague bad coaches far more often than it does good coaches. Why is that? Every single game features missed shots and turnovers. A coach's job is to prepare his team to minimize those and make adjustments in-game to stop runs, and other momentum shifting plays. To identify matchups and make sure the ball goes where it needs to or the defense adjusts.
Blah blah blah coaches make millions. Its the same refrain everyone anyone team loses. At the end of the day those coaches put the players in positions to make plays. Do you think Barnes wanted the team to lose? I understand your view and I agree, but it does get tiresome for folks to always roll out the blame the coach routine. Its over and its not with either of our time to argue about it. We can always pull for the baseball and softball teams now.

Blah blah blah coaches make millions. Its the same refrain everyone anyone team loses. At the end of the day those coaches put the players in positions to make plays. Do you think Barnes wanted the team to lose? I understand your view and I agree, but it does get tiresome for folks to always roll out the blame the coach routine. Its over and its not with either of our time to argue about it. We can always pull for the baseball and softball teams now.

I've no explanation of what on Earth Barnes was doing but he didn't have the answers that May had during the game. Nor did he put his team in the best position to win, which is the most important aspect of his job. No, he didn't want to lose.

I just get tired of seeing players/kids getting chucked under the bus instead of the man who is getting paid to show the kids what they need to do. The "Barnes didn't miss the shots, Barnes didn't get out rebounded." posts are asinine. If he gets no blame, he gets no credit. If he doesn't affect games, give that 5 million to charity and let the players do what they want out there.

Barnes also wasn't on the court playing suffocating defense and making shots in our wins, yet no one hesitated to praise him for guiding the team to the wins.

Reactions: VolArmy74
I've no explanation of what on Earth Barnes was doing but he didn't have the answers that May had during the game. Nor did he put his team in the best position to win, which is the most important aspect of his job. No, he didn't want to lose.

I just get tired of seeing players/kids getting chucked under the bus instead of the man who is getting paid to show the kids what they need to do. The "Barnes didn't miss the shots, Barnes didn't get out rebounded." posts are asinine. If he gets no blame, he gets no credit. If he doesn't affect games, give that 5 million to charity and let the players do what they want out there.
Well keep on blaming him until your last breath, but it will do no good. And these poor kids. That's bs. They are supposed to be men growing into adulthood. If they can't handle a little responsibility like fundamentals of basketball I feel sorry for them when they get a job in the real world. Coddle coddle coddle. There were a lot of high paid millionaire coaches that just dropped ignorant this weekend. Upsets happen.

Well keep.on blaming him until your last breath, but it will do no good. And these poor kids. That's bs. They are supposed to be men growing into adulthood. If they can't handle a little responsibility like fundamentals of basketball I feel sorry for them when they get a job in the real world. Coddle coddle coddle. There were a lo of high paid millionaire coaches that just dropped ignorant this weekend. Upsets happen.

So you choose to blame 18-22 year olds, instead of the 68 year old making millions who is supposed to instruct, plan and lead them. Good perspective. I suppose you'd blame the privates in battle and not the commanders too.

If you can't see that Barnes struggled big time vs FAU...I just don't know what to tell you.

Reactions: Tnphil
Nope. He gets blame. But those precious 18-22 year old young men have some of it as well. If you can't see that, I don't know what to say to you. And there's a lot of difference between real life matters like a military situation and something that really does not matter, a game.

Nope. He gets blame. But those precious 18-22 year old young men have some of it as well. If you can't see that, I don't know what to say to you. And there's a lot of difference between real life matters like a military situation and something that really does not matter, a game.

Yes, they had poor effort and I've said that. Although some disagree with that too apparently. But it's ridiculous to completely absolve Barnes, which is what the "Barnes doesn't miss shots" crowd tries to do. And if you're involved in a team sport at that level, you owe it to everyone to take it seriously. How you do one thing in life reflects how you do others. Military, work, or sports. Give your best effort, for yourself, your co-worker or your teammate. There's not a difference in the need to do your best if you're a coach, supervisor or commander. There are just different consequences for failure.

I'd love to hear a psychologist weigh in on this pervasive divide between blame the coach / blame the players. I wonder if it's more true in the U.S. than in other countries?

All I know is that every team loses every year except one, and seldom are the best teams the winner. So success in "the" tournament evidently says nothing of consequence about either players or coaches.

To be fair Awaka looked like a deer in the headlights in the Duke game, I think Barnes was right to sit him.

In addition to almost all FAU players were faster than him being quick twitch guards vs a 6 8 freshman, he's around 50% on FTs. He will be great if he can get to hitting 80% FTs and bring 8 to 10 points on O. His rebounding is just natural.

VN Store

Back